Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Have you ever served in your country's military?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 61.54%
  • No

20 38.46%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    No. Father is a retired Navy officer, WWII, and SeeBees afterwards. Some of us just aren't the military type. But, i still very much support our armed forces.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bojans View Post
    If I may ask, where have you been in Bosnia?
    I was primarily based out of Croatia with UNPROFOR, but much of the tasking my platoon, of which I was an attached RadOp, took part in was patrolling along the border routes between Bosnia and Croatia. I was amongst some of the first units to engage in protection duties as we expanded operations into Bosnia towards Sarajevo via places like Tusla I think and Zepa as well as Gorazde, primarily tasked with border watch with Sebia, but also ensuring a corridor of relief supplies and refugee protection. Much of my deployment was in the winter and spring, just after new years. All I remember was it was quite cold, my feet were always cold...and that I consumed a lot of hot chocolate and coffee. To this day, I am addicted to mocha because of that. Nice country, given it was winter, but spring was pretty good too...it warmed up quite a bit and then all I remember was my feet always being wet. Much of my time there was a blur as we rarely ever stayed in any town...much fo the time I would be camped out on top of some hill or other in our truck pods with 4 other guys from my parent unit....I maintained communications with UNPROFOR HQ for my unit and periodically provided radio relay trunk for other units around us. Unfortunately, like Iran, I rarely got to interact with the locals. Actually, Iran the only people I interacted with were the soldiers assigned to protect my team site HQ and us during border patrols. Bosnia, it was quite a bit more lax...I got used to ordering lots of werthers candies for the assortment of kids we would see as we moved about. Of all the conflict zones I'd been to, that place was the most haunting. It was in your face almost constantly. Iran, Golan...not so much....but then, Iran, the guys who saw the most carnage there were near the gulf, I spent my time in the mountains where it was "just a little bit" cooler, but far more remote and isolated.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Never joined , but lived around it all my life. Dad was a Assault Helicopter Pilot, 2 Viet Nam tours, 35 combat missions and a bronze star. I have worked on base for 11 years now.
    Your dad, did he take part in those early Air Cav battles as portrayed in that movie "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson? Of the many movies about that war, that one touched me the most...the realism was...uncanny....
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Have you served in your country's military?

Yes, 4 years US Air Force.

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    I don't think this survey can accurately reflect the demographic of copier techs. I'm in the minority, vast minority of Vets fixing copiers at my company. Would Vets be more apt to respond to this thread than, lets call them civilians ? I think a surveys like this would be a, like entire new category on this sight. Like a " Survey of the Week " thing. I think it would be a place I'd visit as frequently as Rants and Raves, which I really enjoy.
    Kevin900

Glorified Parts Swapper 100+ Posts ptrflrs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10871087 View Post
    Yes or No, ever been in the military?
    No but I did well on the ASVAB and was very ready for the air force a few years ago, however the recruiter was frank and couldn't guarantee my preferred job requirements. I live in San Antonio where Lackland AFB is aka the entrance to the air force btw.
    jesus loves you! (everyone else thinks you're an assh*le)
    street cred: CompTIA A+ & Network+ Certified; Konica Minolta Gold Seal x2,
    Konica Minolta Outward ASSociate, Ricoh, Sharp, Lexmark trained

Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN900 View Post
    I don't think this survey can accurately reflect the demographic of copier techs. I'm in the minority, vast minority of Vets fixing copiers at my company. Would Vets be more apt to respond to this thread than, lets call them civilians ? I think a surveys like this would be a, like entire new category on this sight. Like a " Survey of the Week " thing. I think it would be a place I'd visit as frequently as Rants and Raves, which I really enjoy.
    I'm the only one in my company too.
    ---Groucho Marx

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    Your dad, did he take part in those early Air Cav battles as portrayed in that movie "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson? Of the many movies about that war, that one touched me the most...the realism was...uncanny....

He was first there in 68. Shot down once and walked back to base. Never talked about his time there. I did not even know about the bronze star until after his death 2 years ago. Before he died he saw a picture of the city hall of Saigon and told of his ship hovering in front of it while he unloaded his rockets into it. It was full of Viet Cong at the time. The last few years of his life he sponsored a child over there. Mom still writes to her and sends money.

On his deathbed, my mothers father talked a lot about things no one in the family knew. He was in Europe during WW2 and talked of meeting Lucky Luciano, the mobster, in Italy, and having worked a couple of missions for the OSS, which later became Special Forces.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Technician
    Army brat here. Wish the f the military services would be allowed to perform their jobs without the pols tieing their hands. There are a couple of countries that need to be turned into glass. Always surrounded by Army folks since young and presently repairing in DC at Pentagon, dia, doj, oeob etc. Four West Pointers on my wifes side and my father and where I was born. My father in laws best friend was featured in Lars Andersens (sports illustrated) "The All Americans". Scattered Henrys ashes at his wifes burial site at West Point in 2008.
    Heres a snippet. From the landing at D-day.
    The square faced ramp on the ECM came down. Everyone yelled Go, go ,go! But several German machine guns and artillery batteries were concentrating their fire on the ramp exit. Romanek and his men were still in the back of the LCM and now they could see their fellow soldiers being ripped apart by bullets. Blood and limbs and intestines flew through the air, the men falling forward in heaps.
    --All the planning, all the months of training, all the miles they had traveled, it had all been done for this moment. But now? Now, even before Romanek had gotten off his LCM, more than half of his engineers and more than half of the infantrymen he’d been riding with were dead. Order was slipping away.
    --Weighed down with forty pounds of equipment and gear, he jumped as fast and as far as he could into the five feet of water.
    --The bullet pierced the left side of his chest even before he hit the water. It momentarily paralyzed him and robbed him of breath. IT was as if a burning rod had just been shove through his lungs. He couldn’t focus on time, place or purpose. His thoughts drifted through years of memories, with no order, like random dreams. He knew that today was June 6, 1944. If there hadn’t been a war- and if his course load hadn’t been cut from four years to three at West Point, it would have been his graduation day. It seemed so long ago when Romanek and Olds took on Navy and their star tailback Bill Bused. Romanek and Olds were the biggest sports stars in America, as most of the nation tuned their radios. Thinking about West Point caused Romanek to realize that he didn’t want to lose his class ring, not here, not in five feet of freezing-cold water off the coast of France. His ring was a important to him as oxygen. He looked at his left hand in the after, saw the gleam of the thick gold band around his finger, and clenched his fist. I can’t lose my ring, he thought to himself. I can’t lose it. And I don’t want to die here today.”
    -- He tried to move his arms and legs and make his way to shore. But his strength left him. His body wouldn’t respond to what his brain was telling it to do.
    --A navy corpsman spotted him.
    I met this guy and there was nothing heroic about him. But he was one, none the less. He was a hell of a nice guy to my wife whos father was like a brother to him. Thousands like him, proud to know him personally.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Have you served in your country's military?

The last two generations of my family, from 1960 to 1990 were not called to military service. If I had my own children they would have been called. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=