Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Generally most if not ALL techs have a tendency of consulting each other before handling specific faults on a machine. The point to note here is that ,it can be a very rewarding experience to first try fixing the fault on your own. But as i said earlier a MULTI- PRONGED approach to get a quick solution to the problem is not a bad idea. It serves time and resources.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    I often come here to see if what I have encountered is a common problem before I make a big deal of it. The intent of this thread was people asking us questions on this forum with no info. The advice I would give could could vary a lot if the machine in question has gone 200,000 past a PM as opposed to the same machine with a low meter. I mean if the problem was poor print quality and you know that the charge corona grid and wire have 700 to 800,000 on them, I am sure most of us would give the same advice to start. Just stating that your copies are grey or have black streaks with no specifics makes our advice just a guess.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Personally, I try to fix the problem and take my time ensuring that what I fixed, actually fixed the problem. Too often I see the handiwork of others who "fixed" the problem but in fact, didn't even come close.

Basic maintenance itself is really a matter of experience. We don't keep a log book with each machine. The life counters are our log, along with the history counts for jams and other issues since the last service call. If I do a repair someplace, I will reset the jam counts for that repair, if applicable. Generally I will give the machine an entire lookover for issues. Might take me a half hour or so for the full inspection and basic cleaning. I test the unit out and if I see problems, I deal with them.

When I first started out, I had to ask a lot of questions, but after my first couple courses, I knew enough to be somewhat dangerous. Over the years, I almost have a sixth sense for many issues. There are guys who've had more time in with the company than I did, and I often help them out. The added bonus is that I may learn something new, and sometimes more.

I do not fault someone for asking, but I will fault someone for constantly asking for seemingly every call they do. It gets tiring, especially if I am particularly busy.

As for collaborating with my fellow techs, we get together at the shop for the first half hour or so and have discussions about the various machines and some things we may have found that might be of interest to the others on resolving issues related to common problems. Some of the novice techs may bring in samples of prints for review....this helps all of us stay on the same page, more or less, when dealing with issues like paper types vs humidity or fusing or transfer quality and the like. Nothing worse than having a customer ask the same question of 5 techs and getting 4 different answers.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar
    I dont mind helping out techs i work with if they have tried to sort it themselves, or done a little research, i find it annoying that they try to pick my brains, before looking in the manual or doing any other research, i always ask what they have done to resolve the problem, usually it's "well nothing actualy", my response is RTFM ( Read The F**king Manual), it annoys me that they cant be bothered to download manuals & bulletins to their Pc, they come & ask if i have it on mine. i will always try & help those that help themselves, but there are some people, who unfortunately take, without giving anything back

Good Posts STIRTON.M and kingarthur. One of the secretes of our trade as technicians is to constantly keep reading the technical manuals of these machines in order to stregnthen our knowelge of the technical theories of these machines, and keep abreast with the technological changes. however I have realised that few technicians really bother to spare sometimes to study these books. Instead many simply focus their attention only on the quick solution ERROR CODES. I think these ones fall into the category being debated on this thread.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    I remember a new tech coming to work for us years ago that asked dumb questions like that. Eventually, the Service Manager smiled and said to the guy in front of a bunch of us, "Maybe this isn't the right job for you". Scary thing is, this guy used to work on airplane engines before trying his hand at copier repair...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    This rant is for all the newbies that throw their one liner questions up. You know... I have dirty copies , what do I do? Is this what you do at your shop? Do you call the service manager and say "My Bizhub is jamming , what do I do? At my shop there is a thing called service history that tells when parts were changed. If some of you used that info and changed overdo parts, you may learn something about how stuff wears down. How about a meter count once in a while. You may fix your own problem with your question, like "My Bizhub 600 has 600,000 prints and nothing has been changed and I have dirty copies? "Oh wait, maybe I should change everything trhat needs to be changed and see if I still have a problem. OK I am done.
    Bravo!
    To many guys dont use their heads. Too many guys dont have a process or call flow that they follow. To many guys are lazy and want the EASY answer and ask for help before they have even walked into the customers office. Call me for help after you have done the Basics at least.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    I remember a new tech coming to work for us years ago that asked dumb questions like that. Eventually, the Service Manager smiled and said to the guy in front of a bunch of us, "Maybe this isn't the right job for you". Scary thing is, this guy used to work on airplane engines before trying his hand at copier repair...
    The key phrase here being "used to".

There is a reason he "used to" do that job and no longer does and got into a job that pays as little as ours.

I thought about going to school for something aircraft related, we have a major training center here in Calgary for that...but then I was stricken with RA and that plan was put on the back burners...now I think I am too old to get into that...but then again...now it's a matter of paying the bills...can't do that and school at the same time unfortunately.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Quote Originally Posted by ExXeroid View Post
    Bravo!
    ... To many guys are lazy and want the EASY answer and ask for help before they have even walked into the customers office. Call me for help after you have done the Basics at least.
    I hear you! When i get the call, do you know what an SC---, is? The first thing I ask is, did you look it up? They have the access to all of the same manuals, etc that i do. Then I say, after you have looked it up and followed the procedure in the manual and the problem still exists, call me back and we will take it from there. I am always happy to help, but.. as the theme goes, please do a few basics first, then ask, and please let me know what yu have done so far, so I don't duplicate the efforts or so I can try and think of what might have been missed.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonhiker View Post
    I hear you! When i get the call, do you know what an SC---, is? The first thing I ask is, did you look it up? They have the access to all of the same manuals, etc that i do. Then I say, after you have looked it up and followed the procedure in the manual and the problem still exists, call me back and we will take it from there. I am always happy to help, but.. as the theme goes, please do a few basics first, then ask, and please let me know what yu have done so far, so I don't duplicate the efforts or so I can try and think of what might have been missed.
    I am a service manager (I still do my share of calls) and I know how we in the field need to find that perfect balance of being fast and fixing the problems.
    Every thing you say is true especially the part about doing duplicate work.
    Poor troubleshooters
    1 Dont understand how the device or subsystem works
    2 Dont have a process they follow on every call
    3 Dont start troubleshooting with a problem statement
    "The paper is jamming at the fuser."
    (Malfunction is in the fuser or in the transport before the fuser.)
    4 Dont go through basic simple checks
    5 Never consult the manual or look to include Jam Codes in their troulbleshooting
    6 Never fill out logs properly.
    Had one log entry that went like this
    "Jams in the fuser, cleaned optics and corona wires"
    Makes it sound like dirty optics was causing fuser jams.