Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

How do they do it at their shop?????

This rant is for all the newbies that throw their one liner questions up. You know... I have dirty copies , what do I do? Is this what you do at your shop? Do you call the service manager and say "My Bizhub is jamming , what do I do? At my shop there is a thing called service history that tells when parts were changed. If some of you used that info and changed overdo parts, you may learn something about how stuff wears down. How about a meter count once in a while. You may fix your own problem with your question, like "My Bizhub 600 has 600,000 prints and nothing has been changed and I have dirty copies? "Oh wait, maybe I should change everything trhat needs to be changed and see if I still have a problem. OK I am done.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

My answer:

"Fix it!"
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

After a lifetime of these questions I just keep on doing what I'm doing, and ignore them. If they persist, "Start with, Use you f'ing brain. Try something. Then get back to me." =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I think the more information out there the better, whether it's simple or complicated.

But people should not ask a question without searching for it first.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I believe there many ways of tackling problems: Some people prefer to get mentally / ( & spiritually) prepared first for a task so that what they go and do physically is very little; others prefer to first tackle the job, give it a trial, and then ask for help afterwords when stuck. Both approaches work and yield the desired results. However, a real technician should be professional by first giving the task a trial before asking for help/advice. By the way thanks mrwho for having done something about your avatar, you are a disciplined fellow !

I had a colleague that used to go like this when people acted like that to him:

- Hey, I need your help with *insert problem here*.
    - Ok, what did you do so far?
    - I've done everything and the problem is still there.
    - Well, then you didn't do everything, did you?
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Let's face it, some people are naturally lazy and want quick solutions to their problems. how on earth can one claim to have done everything possible and the problem is still there? Pure laziness and lack of persistence. But such characters do exist among us. to help or not to help them then depends on individual thinking.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I agree it's best to fix the problem with persistence and self reliance.

But at the same time, this isn't a measuring contest. We have customers that need to stay productive, we have a company we need to represent.

So if a tech gets his calls in the morning and asks a senior guy if he's seen anything like that before, there's nothing wrong with that.

There is no point in tearing a machine apart, potentially breaking something, ordering expensive parts needlessly instead of gathering all the info you can beforehand.

Work smart not hard.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    I normally prefer to look at the machine first, but when the machine is 150 miles away, I like to get some input before I go if it's a problem I've not seen before. It always made sense to me. Of course the original post was about asking for help without giving specific info. I do try to give more information than "I'm getting dirty copies, what's wrong with it".

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    I agree it's best to fix the problem with persistence and self reliance.

But at the same time, this isn't a measuring contest. We have customers that need to stay productive, we have a company we need to represent.

So if a tech gets his calls in the morning and asks a senior guy if he's seen anything like that before, there's nothing wrong with that.

There is no point in tearing a machine apart, potentially breaking something, ordering expensive parts needlessly instead of gathering all the info you can beforehand.

Work smart not hard.
    True, true. That's the main reason why I come here - to know if someone else already got my problem before I start dismantling things, and point me in the right direction.
    Mascan42

Ibid