Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    We used to give ours grapes all the time, too, never with any bad effects.

Ours not only like fruit, but veggies, too! They love carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, etc...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Do you have pets?

2 Dogs - 1 Jack Russell and 1 Rat Terrier. Answers to Buddy and Petey, respectively.
    1 Cat - Black with gold eyes. Answers to Whoopie.

We feed wild birds in the front yard. They get mad when the feeder's empty, so I guess you can say they are pets too. We also have a couple of chipmunks that drive the dogs crazy, but you can't count them because we don't feed them.

Oh and by the way, the dogs like grapes, bananas, and absolutely love raw carrots.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar
    Three dogs, a terrier mix named Hera, a siberian husky mix named Freyja, and a miniature yorkie named Princess Leia.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Do you have pets?

We have 4 cats, 2 parakeets, 2 indoor rabbits, and various wild animals (raccoons, tree squirrels, possums, skunks, and blue jays) that mooch food from our cats.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

One Siberian Husky Dakotah an Askan Sled Dog Kymka and a black cat Shadow.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar
    I like Labs.
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Dogs and chocolate...

Dogs and Chocolate Toxicity

Dogs and grapes....

snopes.com: Raisins and Grapes Harmful to Dogs

Of the two, grapes it would seem are the most lethal, relatively speaking.

Dogs are not like us, their digestive system is tuned to that of a carnivore, not an omnivore. It is best to give them treats suitable to that kind of diet. As a child, I gave beef jerky to my dog....he loved that stuff...
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Oh and by the way, the dogs like grapes, bananas, and absolutely love raw carrots.
    Our Irish Wolfhound, Dharma, used to go ape for bananas.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar
    Nice to see I am not the only tech out there who is also a zoo keeper. I was think that I was weird. Three dogs Sam, Gus, and Elvis. Sam is the mean one Charpee mixed with mean. Gus is a Black Lab with championship hunter, tracking background. If you are going to get a lab get one with lazy blood lines this dog loves to fetch for hours and will retrieve anything in the house for praise. (toys, shoes, video game controlers) Elvis is old and smart a hound mix. He will actually bark to trick the other dogs to think there are people at the door and go through and eat up all the treats the other two have left behind. I have seen him scheme on different things multiple times and then there is our cat a silver point persian that I rescued from a busy street. he is mean and hates people, but I like him that way.

We also feed the birds in the back yard, but the purpose is to feed the Red Tailed Hawk that hunts in our back yard. He loves the feeders and it is pretty cool to see him come out of the pine trees and take down a few treats. My wife has named the hawk Barkley.

Our dogs will eat all people food, but no pickles. You can give them a cheese burger snack from McDonalds and they will eat it whole then spit out the pickle. Silly animals we love them though !!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    When I was growing up we had quite a bit of animals on a little farmette. I don't call it a farm b/c we didn't really do any of the agricultural stuff except for my mother's personal garden. We had ducks, geese, chickens/pheasants (some of the exotic varieties were very pretty), cats, dogs, a fish room (a room with about 10 or 12 fish tanks both fresh and saltwater) my dad used to dabble in breeding fish (very interesting to watch), ferrets, rabbits, and about a dozen horses and a pony.

It was interesting growing up with all those animals. It was actually quite fun. One of the neighbors down the way had an actual farm and I remember being glad that I didn' have to do all the farm work that they did. Once you got into the routine it wasn't bad at all feeding and watering all those animals. Out of all the animals I really ownly had three that were my personal pets. One palamino mare, a white german shepherd, and a chicken named Verlaine that I hand fed from a chick. Interesting how impressionable a chicken can be, she'd follow me around as an adult and only me. Unfortunately my dog or a neighbors dog killed my chicken, I was pissed.

I've spent time in the country and in the city, each has its pros and cons, and I'd say that there is a peaceful allure to escaping to the country.