Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Quote Originally Posted by ddude View Post
    Only problem is you have to ask to borrow a pen to write up the service order......
    Not for me - It's the customer's machine, it's the customer's pen that's going to fix it. Anyway, I'm almost always "penless"...
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zackuth View Post
    I was called out on an FS1128 that had a problem feeding through the document processor. The problem was sometimes the papers would feed, sometimes not. After cleaning the feed tires with no success, I watched it and found the leading feed tire sometimes would get kicked away from the gears, and wouldn't turn. I needed a "spacer", which I decided to use a washer, to put on the shaft to keep the feed tire from moving away. I went to my van and found I did not have any washers. Looking around I found a plastic screw on cable holder, which the hole fit just right on the shaft. After cutting and shaping with wire cutter, my spacer was ready to go. It's been working that way for months.
    Hi Zackuth
    Can you explain a bit further on the FS1128 problem. I had a similar situation on the same model machine doc feeder just the other day. I would be interested to know a bit more on how you fixed it. I'm not sure I have solved my customers problem 100% now I read your explanation. If you can attach an image that would be good.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    I had a massive toner dump on KonicaMinolta C451, with developer down in the laser unit. My vacuum nozzle couldn't reach to get the laser as clean as I would like, and dis-assembly that far down looked daunting. I de-constructed a highlighter pen, and electric taped the pen shaft to my vac nozzle. Worked like a charm. Clean as a whistle.high lighter mod.jpg
    Kevin900

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar
    Recently had an HP laserjet with a broken & missing actuator. Used a bent paperclip to stand in while waiting for the part to arrive. Bandaiding isn't always a permanent fix. And a tech. forgetting his tools isn't McGyver, he's had a brain-fart! Sorry. I've done it once or twice myself, so I'm not perfect!
    I've also done the tie-wrap thing, the cardboard exit tray thing, and many others! Hey, whatever gets you outta the office with the machine running!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

McGyver strikes again :)

Here my newest McGyver:

Problem:
    Customer wants to print Booklets in clusters of 100 Pieces on a IR Advanced 5045, but the Booklet Tray only allows an amount of an average of 20 to 25 Booklets of a Time. Removing the Tray lead to no avail, because there seems to be a Timeout running which requires the actuation of the Tray sensor from time to time.

Solution:
    I took a little Timer PCB with the famous NE555 and connet it to the Controller Bord; it gives an Impulse of 2 sec lenght every 2 min to the Tray Sensor Port.

IMAG0023.jpg

Gaffer Tape is one of the best Tools

IMAG0024.jpg

And see it works

IMAG0026.jpg
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Well done Herrmann; you did get a patent for that, right?
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

hmm...now if you said this....i should consider it
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Lol I did something like that for a floorstanding finisher on a toshiba estudio 3511 with booklet finisher (canon finisher), and just leaving the tray off doesnt help, I jerried up a photosensor to the input of the sensor that detects paper being pulled off the tray so it thought with every booklet going thru that you were removing it from the tray... worked like a charm too! Sensor donated from ricoh aficio 200!

Regards!
    A.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Anybody remember the Mita DC-1205 that would bust scanner drive gears regularly?

We had a number of theories of why it was happening.
    Theory #1 was that customers were feeding copy paper longer than 14" (incorrect: we cut some paper 8.5 x 30, and the scanner just stops after 14", the machine fed the whole 30")
    Theory #2 was mine. There was something wrong with the clutch control such that the forward clutch and reverse clutch were coming on at the same time. To correct this fault I took a 24vdc relay and wired the coil in parallel with the forward clutch. I connected the 24v line for the reverse clutch to the switched terminals of the relay. When the forward clutch was On, the reverse clutch was disconnected.

It was made as a quick plug-in pigtail between the scanner clutch pack and the harness. There are a dozen of these mods out in the field. It did solve the problem.

On second thought, they probably are in that graveyard now. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    About a bazillion years ago, (early 1980s), Canon used a large metal gear on the end of the upper fuser roller of the NP400. These were later replaced with plastic (or whatever material) ones.

It was always a challenge to get the metal gear off the end of the roller.

I bought a small gear puller, and soldered 8 pennies (on a vice using a propane torch) together that fit perfectly on the end of the roller, and gave the gear puller shaft a nice place to "push", without puncturing or bending the pennies.

Guess who got all the calls for replacing NP400 UFRs!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins