Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    My best "macgyver" was Feed unit for D1 on a Ir8500 plastic cracked/broke around the vertical roller bearing causing jamming the upper portion would just hang in the drawer, so I took some Xerox Docutech staple wire melted some holes and wired that puppy together twisted the end and presto worked like a charm. still havent replaced the feed unit. staple wire has saved my but more than once.. k2 finisher knurler belt drive shaft plastic broke around the bearing well same fix as above. worked on ricoh finisher b478 internal stacker tray/ staple set tray on the upper shaft of the stack feed out belt (gotta make sure you grab the bearing lip with the wire or the shaft will ware through the wire)

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    About a bazillion years ago, (early 1980s), Canon used a large metal gear on the end of the upper fuser roller of the NP400. These were later replaced with plastic (or whatever material) ones.

It was always a challenge to get the metal gear off the end of the roller.

I bought a small gear puller, and soldered 8 pennies (on a vice using a propane torch) together that fit perfectly on the end of the roller, and gave the gear puller shaft a nice place to "push", without puncturing or bending the pennies.

Guess who got all the calls for replacing NP400 UFRs!
    KenB...

Gezzzz.... Is that the old old NP210, NP270, NP400 cold crush fusing system you are talking about ?
    Wow I remember I removed the cold crush fuser, main drive motor and 100v trans, out of one of those machines and rebuilt it into a paper folder machine so my kids could deliver pamplets and papers around the streets each week. They love it. They would just fold the paper/pamplet over and run it throught the fuser crush section and it would compress it down so the pamplet would stay flat for easy fit into letter boxes.

I still have that very same pamplet folding machine if any body wants it.

BTW.
    The floppy platen cover from those old NP machine make the best mouse mats you could ever want. Just cut the mat in two sections for two separate mouse mats. They are super easy to clean and take a out right belting from the kids game playing. I still have those same mouse mats after 15years of every day use. They are as good as the day I put them at my PC's.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    [QUOTE=NeoMatrix;193142]KenB... ]

Gezzzz.... Is that the old old NP210, NP270, NP400 cold crush fusing system you are talking about ?

No I will correct my self: that should have been the old Canon NP120, Canon NP125 cold crush fusing system. I remember that style of machine now.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Kronic Copier Ninja 100+ Posts kronical's Avatar
    I had a drive gear with a post that sits around a retaining pin. Post snapped. cut a slot into the gear (plastic) to sit over the retaining pin, but no pressure on the gear from the c-clip. used a soldering iron to melt down the other side of the gear to allow a large brass bushing to fit into it, taking up the slack. When I got the replacement gear, the customer refused to let me install it as "it's working fine, just leave it" - it's still in the machine to this day.

Re: CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Have to raise this thread from the dead...

If I need another spring hook, I usually fashion one out of a thick paperclip and bend one end into a hook shape with my needle nose pliers.

To seat Jesus Clips back onto their shaft, I magnetize the tip of my Needle Nose Pliers and have the clip hang off the tip.

I do remember seeing a wad of paper holding up a transfer belt to stop that Pressure Welding Alienation code. C 2251 or something I think. It was at KM training. We called it The Wad Mod.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Quote Originally Posted by Phrag View Post
    I do remember seeing a wad of paper holding up a transfer belt to stop that Pressure Welding Alienation code. C 2251 or something I think. It was at KM training. We called it The Wad Mod.
    I had to do a wad mod on an ARM 257 in a location 4 hours away. Report was for jamming on exit, get to site and realize the exit motor has somehow broken a supporting pin on the frame and has shifted back far enough to mess up the paper path and refuse to pass paper. Took 3 sheets of folded and refolded paper to get enough pressure to support the motor and get the paper path aligned properly.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Old Lanier (the Toshiba days) duplex exit sensors were photointerupters with a plastic feeler. The feeler would get broken off by people yanking a jam out the wrong way. I had a small tweaker that I'd file to get a good wire edge then use it to bore a hole through the axle of the feeler, then form a paper clip to replace the missing part. That lasted the life of the machines.
    For newer stuff, some Ricoh bridge units are way too sensitive to disturbances of the left hand interlock. I just put a piece of thick tape on the interlock actuator. One or two mm thick works great.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

This is a bizhub C352 in which the right door handle shattered into four pieces. I drilled #57 numbered bit holes through all the pieces, then strung together all the pieces onto LPC (large paper clip) like beads, then soaked the whole ugly mess in cyano-acetate. Three weeks later it was still on the job.

And yes, I know you're not supposed to remove those painted screws ... but what's a MacGuyver to do?

C352 front pawl2.jpgC352 front pawl.jpgC352 front pawl1.jpg

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

I posted this in the Sharp forum, but what the hey, not everyone is a Sharp tech. My favourite fix to date!

MXM232D having constant jamming problems. Tested fine in my shop so I was going crazy figuring it out, why did it start up on site and not in my shop? Did my digging and discovered it wasn't actually jamming, it was just stopping because the tray was "pulled out". Turns out when Sharp built this machine off its predecessor the ARM207, they moved the tray close detect micro-switch from the right side of the frame to the left. The problem with this, however, was that they didn't modify the paper tray accordingly, the molding was still such that the micro-switch should have been on the right side to be properly triggered. As a result, when the copier would fire up at its new site, when the paper left the tray the vibration was just enough to pop the tray off the micro-switch, triggering a stop.

So after dragging this machine back to the shop (and losing a pair of pants in the process!) and finally determining the cause of the problem, I had to figure out how to resolve the problem, right? Tried tape, tried hot glue, tried epoxy, but nothing was doing the trick. My eye happened to catch the soldering iron and that's when the idea came to mind. The idea was to use the soldering iron to melt into the plastic, and insert a bent paperclip in while it was still malleable. I bent the paperclip into an L shape and did just that, the micro-switch was now tripped properly and would no longer detect an open condition while passing paper.

Machine has been chugging along ever since, happy as a clam(shell).

The alternative, "proper" fix from Sharp, you ask? Why, just take off every single cover, every single board, every single motor, clutch, solenoid and move the frame to a new base plate, then rebuild it from the ground up. Cost for the base plate? A lot more than a paper clip.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Lexmark 544 registration switch.JPG

This is the registration flag for a Lexmark 544 MFP. This one only had to survive 3 days, and it did.

2 bizhub C35 transfer cleaning unit.JPG1 bizhub C35 transfer cleaning unit.JPG

This is the primary transfer cleaning unit for a bizhub C35. The idler gear shaft had sheared off. I went scrounging in the crib for an 8mm bolt. I found a hardened 8mm x 16mm Allen bolt, which looked OK, but even better: in the bottom of the bin there were two unthreaded blanks that had never been through the screw machine. Perfect! I dremeled the housing to accept the 8mm round, then cyano-acetate, and cut to length. It's still in service 4 months later, better than new.

CS5050 exit guide.JPG

This is the exit guide for a Copystar CS-5050 or any FalconIII series. The blue shoulder screw is an optics locking screw from I-don't-know-what machine, but I have a couple dozen of them. The hard part is to get the endusers to stop slamming the door.

FS528 staple tray.JPG

This is the re-feed roller from an FS-528 finisher/stapling tray. My enduser kept pulling the roller assembly past it's stop, preventing paper from entering the stapling tray. The wire endstop is coathanger. One hole drilled in the arm, and one hole through the crossmember.

Just a few recent ones. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 12-07-2013 at 01:30 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=