Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

If you are going to use Superglue, it's a good idea to have a bottle of alcohol handy. If you spill any of the glue on your hands, a good splash of alcohol will cause it to immediately set up and not glue your fingers together.
    Why yes, I have had some aged tubes of Superglue that split when used and spilled glue on my hands. It sucked, don't do that.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    If you are going to use Superglue, it's a good idea to have a bottle of alcohol handy. If you spill any of the glue on your hands, a good splash of alcohol will cause it to immediately set up and not glue your fingers together.
    Why yes, I have had some aged tubes of Superglue that split when used and spilled glue on my hands. It sucked, don't do that.
    We had a tech that super glued his fingers to the platen cover; he stood there (a campus library) for quite awhile. He would graciously lift the platen when customers wanted a copy - I don't know how he escaped, that funny to the rest of us, predicament.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Back in our youthful years one of my younger sibling's opened an old tube of superglue with his teeth.
    He spent two weeks walking around with his pointer finger in his mouth rubbing his two front teeth trying to remove super glue.
    He friends starting to wonder if he had developed a compulsive disorder...

Funny as, it tickled my ivory's for weeks. We both still laugh about it to this day.

True...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    ... I am really curious if the cold rolled steel will cut slower or faster than plastic. =^..^=
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    ... It may have been quicker with a bit of super/crazy glue inside a heat shrink tube placed over the old flag, with a dollop of hot glue to seal the heat shrink end off. Once the hot glue has cooled, file the glue to a round shape at the end. File some slots into the old flag so the heat shrink doesn't slip off. I've never tried it so I don't rightly know how long it would last....
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    I think the heat shrink would get paper cuts well before the bare metal clip, but I use heat shrink for a lot of different fixes - wish I could remember a couple.
    Yeah, I don't think the heat shrink would not last very well, not even short term. It might work to hold the glued part in place long enough to let it dry properly, but then it would have to come off. My other concern was that the additional 0.3 grams might slow down the flag return, but apparently not enough to matter. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

If you have a HDD that has failed and it contained no important information, the platters make for good mirrors.
    On a related note, a three pound machinist sledge can be used to destroy HDDs and work out aggravation.
    There's a stupid and costly story behind that.

Temp fixed a warn out bushing/gear on a C452 duplex drive by bending the metal housing and pulling the gears together to mesh with a cable tie today.
    Wonder how long a metal shaft can run against a cable tie before is breaks?
    Whatever

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

If you have a HDD that has failed and it contained no important information, the platters make for good mirrors.
    On a related note, a three pound machinist sledge can be used to destroy HDDs and work out aggravation.
    There's a stupid and costly story behind that.
    I use the HDD magnets to magnetize my screwdrivers. Also my sister loves them to make tools to clean the inside of big jars (one magnet on the outside, other on the inside, a cloth in between...)
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    I use the HDD magnets to magnetize my screwdrivers. Also my sister loves them to make tools to clean the inside of big jars (one magnet on the outside, other on the inside, a cloth in between...)
    If you have an old 15 or 25 watt outside PA speaker horn, the magnet from it makes a superior screwdriver magnetizer.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Copy/pasting this into the "Magnetizer" thread someone else posted.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I just went to a follow up on a noise on a Xerox. Needed greese, found none in my truck. Used some lidocane cream out of my first aid kit and mixed it with some Marvel Mystery oil. So far it is holding up.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking