Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

OK, for certain I could mention about size and (NOT) used questions...but I like to see your smart comments guys
    Good laugh is welcome.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Paper clips and epoxy are my best friends. I have a number of machines that I've "MacGuyvered" which have been working fine for months if not years. But usually I only Macguyver the older ones that are hard to find parts for, though.

My most notorious MacGuyver is with Panasonic DP-150's. The transport rollers on these are held in by a flimsy bracket which is part of the frame of the machine so if it breaks it causes occasional noise and skewed copies and there is no better way to fix it than looping a paper clip around it and fastening it down with a screw or two to hold it in place. Probably done it over a dozen time by now.

I do.

i heard someone tell me the other day

"if you cant fix it with duct tape then..................you havnt used enough duct tape"

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Not for me - It's the customer's machine, it's the customer's pen that's going to fix it. Anyway, I'm almost always "penless"...

i go through a hell of alot of pens...clients seem to like collecting them...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Epoxy and cut up credit cards work to make new door actuators in a pinch. I have also used the soldering iron to melt weld pieces that held for a bit.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by petermays View Post
    i go through a hell of alot of pens...clients seem to like collecting them...
    Back when I worked for the Mothership I had a pushy by the numbers manager who was on a "work with" me one day. Had a faulty corona assembly and I borrowed his fine new Parker and proceeded to take the small spring out to use in the corona assembly. The look on his face when I handed it back to him was priceless as he was too busy talking on his phone to see what I did. I explained that the spring was now in the working machine, no parts to order on his budget and one less return call on my stats.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

*purple haze on mirrors = Clean and then apply Rain-X AntiFog.. reduces buildup of haze.
    *build up on Scan Glass = Clean and apply reg Rain-X on glass ... reduces "Post-It" glue and pen/white out build up
    *lines forming on PCR's = Nu-Finish car polish ( x 2-3 applications )... will keep crud/lines forming
    *squeaky bushings/bearings = TriFlo oil ( Teflon infused ) DO NOT USE WD40 ( dries out the metal bushing) I also use on fishing reels n lower assemblies on my firearms)
    *Crud on Coronas = cut a green 'scrubby' pad into 1/2"x3/8" strips.. dip in Rubbing Alcohol ..using forceps ...fold pad... CAREFULLY put pad over wire...GENTLY scrub wire... can also use on Corona Grids.
    *ALWAYS keep a variety of screws in my bag ( I use my "dip cans" to store them in with a label defining contents ) same thing with "damnit" pins - springs ( so I do not cannibalize Ink Pens )

As far as "quick fixes" too many and too old of grey matter to remember them all!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    *ALWAYS keep a variety of screws in my bag ( I use my "dip cans" to store them in with a label defining contents ) same thing with "damnit" pins - springs ( so I do not cannibalize Ink Pens )
    I found that plastic fishing tackle boxes were quite handy for keeping misc small parts separated by type and size while still easy to access.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I found that plastic fishing tackle boxes were quite handy for keeping misc small parts separated by type and size while still easy to access.
    He's an old wooden parts carry case that I made many many moons ago(made around 1987-89).
    I've had 2 Technicians make an offer to buy the case from me over the years. If the first offer wasn't such an butt-hole I might have sold it.

For the young Techs just starting out... see the wooden parts case in the picture below.

parts_case.jpg

The above portable case is very handy for quick change over from one company vehicle to another company vehicle.
    Some companies have two types of service vehicles, an around town service van and an out of town station wagon.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Here is a picture of a customer McGyver. She attached rubber bands to a Lexmark pickup roller assembly to get by until we got there to replace the part. She really had to work at getting the rubber bands on as she did not know how it came off, and was working in the limited drawer space.Attachment 42921 It was feeding the paper for her.
    Last edited by driving lots of miles; 06-20-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: picture not attaching

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

IMG_1867.jpgHere is a picture of a customer McGyver. She attached rubber bands to a Lexmark pickup roller assembly to get by until we got there to replace the part. She really had to work at getting the rubber bands on as she did not know how it came off, and was working in the limited drawer space.Attachment 42921 It was feeding the paper for her.