Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

OK I WANNA HEAR IT. WHATS THE BEST McGYVER YOU EVER PULLED.
    I THOUGHT OF THIS QUESTION THE OTHER DAY WHEN I GOT TO A CALL (OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE) AND DISCOVERD MY TOOL CASE WAS IN ANOTHER SERVICE VAN. THEY HAD A JAMMING PROBLEM. I HAD NOTHING WITH ME. EXCEPT.............A BOTTLE OF HAND SANITIZER. "THAT HAS ACHOHOL" I THOUGHT. CLEANED THE FEED TIRES WITH IT............... WORKED LIKE A CHARM. I KNOW YOU CAN TOP THAT LETS HERE IT.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Had a Problem with Ricoh MPC2500.
    Customer complains, that the double side Print of Business Cards is misalingned. The reason is, that the Fusing Unit rests only due to its own weight on the Driving Gear at the Backside and start moving upwards if heavy Stock enters the Unit.

This is my Solution:

Filz2.jpg
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

BEST TECHNICIAN . NICE PEOPLE .

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

I'm sure I've told this one, but what the hell ...

We had a Mita DC-152 in the office that, right out of the box, would melt down fusers. It had had 8 or more fusers in the machine, and after about 3 minutes the heat roller would warp like a banana. Every board had been replaced on this machine.

I'm guessing it had been in the office 16 months by then. I had a brainstorm late one evening and checked the wiring diagram. Sure enough, two of the wire to the main power relay had been switched during assembly. I installed the 9th set of fuser rollers and swapped the wires. I was delighted when it powered up and maintained a steady 180C.

The problem was, that the lower fuser exit guide had been scavenged for a call, and I was just too curious to see if it would pass paper. Toward the back of the shop there was a part of the suspended ceiling that hadn't been finished, so I took a length of suspended ceiling "T" channel, and reformed it into an exit guide. It took a little fiddling to get it to set in there just right, but I was able to test the machine, and go home happy in the knowledge that I had fixed it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

Blackcat's middle name is MacGuyver. He has manufactured his own roller shafts, designed his own tools, and all sorts of other things.

Sometimes covers get parts broken on them and I've welded some plastic on them (to actuate switches) with my soldering iron. We came up with a fix for Ricoh fusers to keep the bushings from working loose. We sell them in a kit. Other than that, I can't think of anything. The machines I work on aren't worth major time to make something and I don't believe in duct tape and superglue repairs.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar
    I was called out on an FS1128 that had a problem feeding through the document processor. The problem was sometimes the papers would feed, sometimes not. After cleaning the feed tires with no success, I watched it and found the leading feed tire sometimes would get kicked away from the gears, and wouldn't turn. I needed a "spacer", which I decided to use a washer, to put on the shaft to keep the feed tire from moving away. I went to my van and found I did not have any washers. Looking around I found a plastic screw on cable holder, which the hole fit just right on the shaft. After cutting and shaping with wire cutter, my spacer was ready to go. It's been working that way for months.

Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar
    Paper clips and epoxy are my best friends. I have a number of machines that I've "MacGuyvered" which have been working fine for months if not years. But usually I only Macguyver the older ones that are hard to find parts for, though.

My most notorious MacGuyver is with Panasonic DP-150's. The transport rollers on these are held in by a flimsy bracket which is part of the frame of the machine so if it breaks it causes occasional noise and skewed copies and there is no better way to fix it than looping a paper clip around it and fastening it down with a screw or two to hold it in place. Probably done it over a dozen time by now.

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    I don't believe in duct tape and superglue repairs.
    I do.
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

I think there is supposed to be 2 large plastic resin clips that secure to the placement pins underneath the fuser to keep that from happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by herrmann View Post
    Had a Problem with Ricoh MPC2500.
    Customer complains, that the double side Print of Business Cards is misalingned. The reason is, that the Fusing Unit rests only due to its own weight on the Driving Gear at the Backside and start moving upwards if heavy Stock enters the Unit.

This is my Solution:

Filz2.jpg
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    CALLING ALL McGYVER'S

- A C350's side door that got the holders for the closing claws broken off. It was either this or the customer paying for a new door - he liked this.

a2.jpga1.jpg

- Installing a fax board without the mouting plate (it was on backkorder)? No problem!

c1.jpg

- And who never did one of these?

b1.jpg
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    - And who never did one of these?
    Yep!

So many McGyvers, so little time.........

Konica 7040 where the door switch breaks away from the plastic pillars? Cut a bic pen to length with your nippers, the point of the pen is inserted into the hole on the metal frame, and the (cut-to-fit) base rests against the switch. Only problem is you have to ask to borrow a pen to write up the service order......