Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Time for phone upgrade

It seems that I'm due for a phone upgrade. As it happens, there is a new app available for listening to Sirius satellite radio (I want to be able to listen to Howard100 at work). This app only works on three platforms: iPhone, Android, and Blackberry. The Blackberry is out, I know people with Blackberries and they all complain about them. I don't know if I'm ready to go to the dark side and get an iPhone, but people who have them seem to really love them. Android phones seem pretty cool, but they are still pretty knew, so I don't know anyone who has one. So, does anyone have this Sirius radio app and does it work well? Also, as far as the iPhone and Android phone goes, which do you guys prefer?
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    I use a blackberry for work, and though it is functional to "some" needs on the job, phone and email, it sucks donkey balls.

I think the I-phone is kinda cool, but I do not like the fact that it uses proprietary controls (pay apple to have this app crap). That and I think it too fragile. Lost count how many times I dropped the BB down concrete stairs and the thing took it like a timex.

Androids allow for free apps you can download almost anywhere last I heard.

Windows phones, I cannot say much, haven't personally played with one...but I suspect, like my little Winmobile 6 PDA, might crash on a regular basis.

I think the thing you may want is whether or not the phone has decent network coverage, which can be great in one area, shitty in another. Nothing more annoying than dropped calls or poor signal access.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Time for phone upgrade

I'm in the same boat. I currently love my Palm Pre, but it is getting up to time for upgrade. I'm thinking about an android phone but not sure what I should get. Someone's got to have one.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Technician
    Used both, settled on the iPhone. I just like the interface better than the Android. The Android OS appears "clunky" to me, and I have many issues with the ones that I have to support (crashing, losing settings, etc..)

I have dropped my iPhone many a time, haven't killed it yet. Just need to have a good case ( iPhone 4 Defender Series Case // OtterBox.com )

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tstahlfsu View Post
    Used both, settled on the iPhone. I just like the interface better than the Android. The Android OS appears "clunky" to me, and I have many issues with the ones that I have to support (crashing, losing settings, etc..)

I have dropped my iPhone many a time, haven't killed it yet. Just need to have a good case ( iPhone 4 Defender Series Case // OtterBox.com )
    You'd think the price tag that goes with that thing, Apple would throw in a decent protector case as part of the deal. Not like people don't drop the phone, but really, I should not have to buy an aftermarket cover. A buddy of mine has one, he dropped it, and it split the glass diagonally. Furtunate for him, the display and digitizer did not go south. He still uses it, but that crack is a bit perturbing for him. I'd be more comfortable if they made that display glass as plastic instead, just like my shatter proof glasses.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Technician
    Could be worse, you could use a Windows Mobile phone as your primary. No amount if aftermarket accessories could make those not suck.

It will probably come down to which phone has the cheaper upgrade deal going on. If the deals are really close in price, then I have a hard decision to make...

I really just want to be able to run that Sirius app, but I'm definitely not getting a Blackberry.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    I use a Blackberry curve, and as of late I've been seeing the hour glass (a lot) and I pretty much hate the service provider for it. (Sprint) but all and all I do love what I can do with my phone.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Well, my new iPhone 3GS is coming today (provided UPS doesn't drop the ball, which they are prone to do quite frequently). I guess I'll have to have my nephew come over and jailbreak it for me. lol

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Time for phone upgrade

Bought a cheap Android terminal (Samsung Galaxy 550) and so far I'm loving Android.

Anyone has suggestions on cool apps/widgets to install? Are there any apps that can be of use for us copier techs? So far I've only found the bubble level - probably not as accurate as the real thing, but still fun.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!