View Poll Results: Are all Sales People arseholes?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 32.32%
  • No

18 18.18%
  • They can't help it, they're idiots

53 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Are all sales people arseholes?

Quote Originally Posted by smostyn View Post
    ... but I do what I can to make sure the customer either doesnt get poor service from my company because of a lie, or doesnt become the discoverer of the lie. I will sometimes tell the salesman some thing like "mate you know you screwed the customer on this, they are now asking me xxxxx... you had better go and deal with that.
    I believe the salesmen will much rather deal with these types of things themselves, rather than have a tech throw them in it.
    IMHO it's a lot easier to do the demo, and set reasonable expectations, than to go out a week later and try to explain that the salesman was ill informed (or was just making shit up as he went along). =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    IMHO it's a lot easier to do the demo, and set reasonable expectations, than to go out a week later and try to explain that the salesman was ill informed (or was just making shit up as he went along). =^..^=
    ::: The Hierachy of Customer Relations. :::

The Manufacture Tries to Keep Customers Happy which helps keep the customers business looking good.
    |
    |_DealerShip tries to keep the Manufacturer Happy and Looking Good.
    |
    |_ Bosses try to keep Dealership happy and looking good
    |
    |_ Salesmen try to keep the bosses happy and looking good
    |
    |_ Tech's try to keep the Salesmen happy and looking good.
    |
    |_ Office staff try to keep the Tech's happy and looking Good.

Well!, given the above hierachy chain, it's not hard to see where some one is eventually going to get their nose out of joint.

"Life was meant to be easy", people make it hard....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    1.) I think most of them are idiots, what I will call the "bad salesmen."

The "good salesmen" fall into two other categories:
    2.) Those who are full of BS and "yes" answers.
    3.) Those who actually know what the heck they are doing and do it well.

I think the numbers of each also follow in order from biggest so smallest 1, 2, 3.
    I will not give you service manuals or firmware.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I think it all depends on the specific individual. Maybe the nature of the job gets to a lot of them. I definitely don't envy the whole tedious process that is involved in making the sale, especially for copiers, in this day and age. It's not easy.

The best thing I believe is that everyone in the organization realize that every person and function is essentially and connected in this circle. Sales must sell things for service people to have something to fix to keep customers happy and using machines to make money to enable sales people to sell machines again at a future date. Throw into that mix the other jobs as well from the secretaries to the person that has to clean the shitters. In other words, it's a team effort.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToshibaTech View Post
    1.) I think most of them are idiots, what I will call the "bad salesmen."

The "good salesmen" fall into two other categories:
    2.) Those who are full of BS and "yes" answers.
    3.) Those who actually know what the heck they are doing and do it well.

I think the numbers of each also follow in order from biggest so smallest 1, 2, 3.

The true and final MO (modus operandi) of all salesman :

There is not one salesmen on this planet who really sells anything at all.
    ::: All salesmen only sell good feelings to the customer. :::

If the customer feels "good" about the object they will buy it. If the customer feels "great" about the object they will buy two.

A good salesmen knows how to make any customer believe they can get happy feelings from any material object. The salesmen really only sells the sizzle, He does not sell the steak. Once all salesmen know and understand the above true fact they can sell anything from ice cubes to Eskimos through to Rocketships to martians.

The sizzle is the only thing worth selling, because every single material thing in is on the march to into ground, except the ground itself. The sizzle is really the only thing left.

Ah! but once the sizzle turns to fizz, the customer in turn would like to feel happy again. It's then the job of the salesmen to once again sell them some more sizzle feelings. So you will always notice that a good salesmen will only ever tell the customer exactly what they wanted to hear. Does this make it a lie to the customer ? Some say it does, but every single person foremost is lying to themselves first by believing that material objects can make them happy. The Salesmen is just affirming the lie they already believe about themselves and material object happiness.

BTW, I'm not a salesmen....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I'm to honest to get along with salesmen. If they screw up, I throw them into the blades. That way
    they learn faster.
    When I was new a salesmen had me install a machine in the corner. I had to move a brand X box
    out of the way in order to complete my job and then put it back. I did not know at the time that
    I could have turned down the install site.
    I went into the office and sat down in his cubicle and told him I did not like being taken advantage
    of. This was in front of all the other sales people.
    It did not do any good. So it's the blades now. No BS, just be up front.
    Sometimes they are a necessary evil. Not very often, just sometimes.

DR

Technician 50+ Posts spaniel ears's Avatar
    I've never quite understood why the biggest arseholes make the best salesmen. Personally, I wouldn't buy a bag of crisps off some of the slimy tossers i've worked with in the past, but for some reason Joe public fall for their bullshit. It's a sad fact that you have to tollerate working with these cretins if you want your company to do well, the bigger arsehole they are the more proffit they make in my experience. They're a different species to most people, the only time you'll ever go for a pint with these creatures is usually the office Christmas party where you have no choice. Aside from that, speak to them only when necessary and tell them to fuck off if the slither into your workshop would be my advice. Detestable individuals.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar
    We are a Sharp dealership. I have sat through quite a few sales pitches as a manager. During the last one, the sales manager is telling the perspective customer "There is no turn around section. The image is put on both sides of the page at the same time." Really? I must have fallen asleep during class and missed that part.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    I have this customer who I deal with for 4 months every year. He comes up from Alabama to do taxes. He is a bit of an asshole. He bought a Minolta EP2080 when it was new. It rattles and makes all kind of noise. I have a good success rate at flipping people out of the old stuff and into something newer. When I try with him, I fail. Why? Because the salesman told him copiers last 15 years when he bought it. All I get is "Just fix the damn thing, I have a service contract."
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Do they still make parts for that EP2080? If they do, then order everything you will need to
    rebuild the machine. Tell the customer his machine needs a few things and you have to
    special order the parts.
    If management is on their game they will flag this order as to expensive.
    Tell the svc manager the salesman told the customer the machine would last 15 years, and it
    needs to be rebuilt if we're going to support what the salesman said.
    Sooner or later the customer will call and ask about the status of the parts.
    When he does tell the svc manager you don't know quite what to tell the customer, and
    request his help.
    Basicly let management do their jobs, motivated by the customer.
    God knows they won't listen to the people on the front line.