View Poll Results: Are all Sales People arseholes?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 32.32%
  • No

18 18.18%
  • They can't help it, they're idiots

53 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Are all sales people arseholes?

The first 12 years of my career I was a technician. I topped out my earning potential as a technician within the company. Short of a service manager moving on there was nowhere up for me to go. The owner let me switch over to sales rather than lose me to another career path.

When I was a technician I had no real clue what the job entailed other than that it had very good earning potential and that I could pretty much be my own boss. I remember being pissed when I'd turn in a lead and the sales rep would sell the machine and I would get little or nothing for my efforts while I thought he was making a killing off the deal. I remember seeing the sales reps come in late and leave early. I knew they were at chamber of commerce events having drinks on company time or out on the golf course during work hours and I had absolutely do idea why or how they got away with it. I had no idea the sales guys got cell phone calls from customers, and went out to solve problems for customers after hours and on the weekends. I had no idea they were up late at night typing proposals and preparing for appointments. I had no idea that they had sleepless nights worrying about a deal or how a major account threatened to leave because of a service or IT department goof up. I had no idea of the pressure involved when working deals that involved the future of the company, technician jobs and tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line for the company.

The years since have had plenty of ups and downs that a technician would never understand. The sales job is filled with incredible highs and equally incredible lows. Winning big hard fought deals or making a huge commission for a day's work. On the flip side there is constant rejection, rude treatment because you're a "Sales Person", lost deals and economic downturns. When the real estate bubble burst and the economy went off a cliff in 2007/2008 I lost over 1/3rd of my accounts who either went out of business or damaged their credit so badly that I can't get them financing and my income crashed by about 60% in a single year. Equipment sales in this industry has never recovered from that downturn.

Reading the comments in this thread I see a lot of the same resentments and lack of understanding I had back when I was a tech. Think about it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I spoke with a sales rep about ID 10 T sales personnel, what an eye opening conversation to the stupidity of sales people.
    here is the situation for a potential client.
    Client has a Kyocera Colour Copier, they note that the count for colour is very high and swears they don't print that much colour.
    The sales man fro the Kyocera dealer informed the client that the colour count was so high because they were using a Ricoh print driver to print to the Kyocera.
    go figure......................
    are we allowed to spay and neuter sales people yet??????????????????????????

It is true that having the wrong print driver in use can make a color machine click the color counter even though the customer's output is B/W. This can happen even within your own brand. I've seen this in the field and tested it myself. I've also seen people purposely install a driver for a B/W model machine on a computer thinking they were restricting the employees use of color on a color model only to find out later that every single print from that B/W driver to the color devise clicked as a color page.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

No, not all... but we have a few that more than make up for the ones who aren't.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins