View Poll Results: Are all Sales People arseholes?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 32.32%
  • No

18 18.18%
  • They can't help it, they're idiots

53 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Are all sales people arseholes?

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    ... "There is no turn around section. The image is put on both sides of the page at the same time." Really? I must have fallen asleep during class and missed that part...
    ROFL! I've heard a few whoppers before myself. I can't decide if the salesman just doesn't know how mis-informed he is, or is just inventing on the spot. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    I have this customer who I deal with for 4 months every year. He comes up from Alabama to do taxes. He is a bit of an asshole. He bought a Minolta EP2080 when it was new. It rattles and makes all kind of noise. I have a good success rate at flipping people out of the old stuff and into something newer. When I try with him, I fail. Why? Because the salesman told him copiers last 15 years when he bought it. All I get is "Just fix the damn thing, I have a service contract."
    Ha ha... Of course photo copiers last 15 years , It's just there is a minor problem of them still working fully after 15years.

I've seen plenty of photocopiers last 15years tied to the end of a boat as an anchor. No problems at all, the salesmen was correct.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Confused & Bewildered 250+ Posts sdrawkcab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I can't decide if the salesman just doesn't know how mis-informed he is, or is just inventing on the spot. =^..^=
    Probably the latter, A couple of months ago at a rather heated sales meeting, I was bemoaning the
    complaints from the techs about Installs, the same things that we read here, no fax kits, wrong tray configurations, wrong finisher etc etc, then a salesman said
    "Techs should just do what they're paid for"
    I said "You're an overpaid arsehole"(or asshole if you prefer)
    He said "I AM NOT OVERPAID"
    Since then everybody (including the other salesmen) have addressed him as
    Arsehole
    true story

Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    I have this customer who I deal with for 4 months every year. He comes up from Alabama to do taxes. He is a bit of an asshole. He bought a Minolta EP2080 when it was new. It rattles and makes all kind of noise. I have a good success rate at flipping people out of the old stuff and into something newer. When I try with him, I fail. Why? Because the salesman told him copiers last 15 years when he bought it. All I get is "Just fix the damn thing, I have a service contract."
    According to the "End of Life" Bulletin, Minolta deemed that obsolete in June, 2007. Parts are no longer available. Create a shopping list of parts, and let management take over. My company used to automatically renew service contracts, too. Now the list is reviewed by the service manager, and apology/thank-you letters are sent out instead to customers with "classic" equipment.
    Kevin900

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

In defence of the "copier", there really are a couple of models that will go the distance and still
    be fully functional.
    I am servicing three of these dinosaurs. That would be the Kodak EKTA-Print series. It morphed into
    the Image source 85. This model started production in 1996. And the EKATA-PRINT 2085 started
    in 1994? maybe '95.
    These machines are American made with real metal. And real chains and heavey duty motors, blowers,
    and compressors.
    They could have turned this into one of the first digital boxes on the market but they sold it to IBM
    so they could have it. And they bought the IBM copier division which IBM did not want to do
    but gave in to customer pressure. And the IBM copier was another real machine.
    They had to stop making parts to get them out of the field.
    To bad. Companies use to have pride in making a product that would last the test of time.
    Now it seems it is all about having one product die off just after the intro of the next.
    Or be disposable, like these inkjet thingys.

Oh well that's my rant.

DR

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar
    I have worked in sales as well as being a tech. I was a tech prior to sales, so I knew how to plug in the equipment I was demonstrating, and could actually turn it on. I was fortunate enough to get out of sales and back to being a tech.

A lot of salespeople are idiots, and a lot of them are stupid. But, there are some really good salespeople out there.
    The good ones have met all the qualifications to handle their job.

These qualifications include:

Being able to look presentable. ( If you look stupid, well...you are stupid )
    Being able to speak correctly. ( If you sound stupid...well...you are stupid )
    Knowing the equipment you sell. ( If you do not know what the equipment will or will not do...well...you are stupid.
    If you have not worked as a tech for at least two years prior to a sales position, then you do not qualify as a salesperson: you are an idiot.

Remember:

An idiot is someone who has not been taught, trained, or guided by someone who cares enough to teach them.

Most salespeople are stupid. They have been taught, trained, and guided by someone else: they just would not listen and learn.
    As Forest once said, " STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES ".

Now: I need to get back to work.
    Thanks for letting me RANT.
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I have heard good things about these machines before and had seen one still in a government office a few years ago. They seemed to be really solid and from what I recall had really good solids and copy quality. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't canon have a relable of the imagesource 85? I think it was the NP9850II?

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    In defence of the "copier", there really are a couple of models that will go the distance and still
    be fully functional.
    I am servicing three of these dinosaurs. That would be the Kodak EKTA-Print series. It morphed into
    the Image source 85. This model started production in 1996. And the EKATA-PRINT 2085 started
    in 1994? maybe '95.
    These machines are American made with real metal. And real chains and heavey duty motors, blowers,
    and compressors.
    They could have turned this into one of the first digital boxes on the market but they sold it to IBM
    so they could have it. And they bought the IBM copier division which IBM did not want to do
    but gave in to customer pressure. And the IBM copier was another real machine.
    They had to stop making parts to get them out of the field.
    To bad. Companies use to have pride in making a product that would last the test of time.
    Now it seems it is all about having one product die off just after the intro of the next.
    Or be disposable, like these inkjet thingys.

Oh well that's my rant.

DR

There was a NP-9800 and NP-9850, but I never saw any. The NP-8530 was it's little brother, and yes it was very reliable in high volume locations. The only bad thing about the NP-8530's was the damn Ultrex connectors causing it to lose it's mind in unpredictable ways. =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    There was a NP-9800 and NP-9850, but I never saw any. The NP-8530 was it's little brother, and yes it was very reliable in high volume locations. The only bad thing about the NP-8530's was the damn Ultrex connectors causing it to lose it's mind in unpredictable ways. =^..^=
    I had a ton of NP-8530s in my territory back in the day.

A can of contact cleaner and a brass "toothbrush" were my best friends to tame those nasty connectors.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Same here. These are just the ones I documented:

NP-8530:
    Very light copies? Ultrex on potential control PWB
    Misfeeds on bed? All cassettes read as legal size regardless of actual paper size? Ultrex on duplex driver PWB
    Ledger paper not recognized in any cassette? Goes to a jam state immediately when Start is pressed? Ultrex on duplex driver PWB
    E020? Ultrex on DC driver PWB
    E210? Ultrex on DC controller and DC driver PWB
    Check paper indication as if a LCT was installed (when not installed)? Ultrex on connector PWB
    Comes to Ready without initial rotations? Scan lamp comes on and stays on continuously? Ultrex J114 on DC controller & J402 at connector PWB
    Paper deck feeds during warmup, even when out of paper? Ultrex J114 on DC controller
    Backlight is visible, but no characters displayed? E243 & copier functions normally? Ultrex J116 on DC controller
    Main motor switches to low speed during duplexing? Ultrex J102 on DC controller
    Misfeeds at fixing exit sensor Q10 that won't clear? Ultrex on connector PWB
    Misfeeds from paper feed unit that won't clear? Ultrex J5 on paper feed unit controller

=^..^=