Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Test Copies... What is your personal best.

I'll usually ask such customer to save up a whopper of a job, then I be onsite to see it run. The longest was a Mita DC5585 that ran 5000 without a hitch. He was quite irritated by my suggestion that the proper loading of the paper is quite important. It was hilarious watching the agitated customer turn various colors of red and purple as the machine just ran & ran & ran, and I kept feeding it. He never did call back for that "constantly jamming" again, especially since I could say exactly how many actual jams there had been. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Oh yes the classic "well of course it is not going to jam while you're standing here" as the machine pumps out copy after copy without a hitch. Or the "this thing jams every 10 copies" which some how is not supported by my jam history showing nothing of the like.
    I will not give you service manuals or firmware.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    I had a client switch from an old analog Lanier 6765 to a Ricoh Aficio 650 when they first came out. The client called to bitch that the bypass jammed 'everytime' they went to use it. Unknown to them the digital machines count everything and I was able to produce a printed report showing only one jam had occurred. Never had an issue after that with BS jamm calls with that client. The log data from the SMC is a useful tool for taking a customer down a peg or two.

Most test copies? 3000ish duplexed, customers job, just watched to verify I had truly solved the issue.

OMD-227
    Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    The client called to bitch that the bypass jammed 'everytime' they went to use it. Unknown to them the digital machines count everything and I was able to produce a printed report showing only one jam had occurred.
    Maybe she just liked having you around............??

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    When doing test copies I do the same as previous posts, obviously within the limits of the machine. Starting up from the Stella, maybe 50. Kir / Russian, a hundred. Adonis/Alex, 300. If I have a problematic Martini to deal with, usually a couple of thousand go through it before I'm totally happy. I normally ask customers for anything they use on a regular basis, i.e. fax headers. I normally ask for any stapled sets as well, you can't test a machine enough really. It could jam as you're pulling out of the car park and you'd get a repeat. I always fill the trays and check the toner bottle to see if it's nearly empty, if it is, change it. Two minute checks save recalls!
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    I always fill the trays and check the toner bottle to see if it's nearly empty, if it is, change it. Two minute checks save recalls!
    This generally gets you a good long run before any callbacks, if I can fully load up a machine before I leave I will. I had a client that would let it run down and put one bloody ream in at a time, resulting in jamming because the end users were always in a hurry 'cause they had to stop for 20 seconds to put paper in it. After service I'd load it to capacity - 6 reams in tandem, 7 reams in LCT, plus one ream each trays 2 and three for 7500 sheets total and could just about guarantee no jams for 10k.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar
    5000+ on an Océ 6250 (250ppm); had a jamming issue that wouldn't arise until the feedpath was good and hot. (paper was preheated before transfer)

Instead of a clutch, it used a stepper motor for registration. Toner in the feedpath would get hot (and then sticky) and drag on the paper and eventually cause the motor to fail, but it took 20-30 minutes to get to that point.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Geez, wazza, it's almost time to do a PM with that many test copies.
    Sorry wazza, I misread that 300x as 300k. I realized my mistake when I figured out that would be 600 reams of paper and with the M110 more than 45 hours of time.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

OMD-227
    Ha!
    Imagine just sitting there watching the machine do 300K as a 'test run'.
    The client walks up and wants to use the machine, and you politely say with a straight face.......
    'sorry, just running off 600 reams of paper as a test. Can you come back later'.
    That would go down beautifully.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Ha!
    Imagine just sitting there watching the machine do 300K as a 'test run'.
    The client walks up and wants to use the machine, and you politely say with a straight face.......
    'sorry, just running off 600 reams of paper as a test. Can you come back later'.
    That would go down beautifully.
    If anybody could do it, it would be you.
    "It's just the standard maintenance test. Come back in ... um, a few days."

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=