Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Test Copies... What is your personal best.

I was thinking about this as I was on a callback because it was still jamming. Well it did not jam yesterday and it did not jam today when I made 300 test copies. I was remembering the most I ever ran. It was about 6 or 7 years ago. I had a Minolta Di 520 and every time they would call to say it was jamming, I would show up and run 500 to 1000 copies. They would still bitch and complain that it jammed all the time. The Master Sargent in charge was a real dick. I waited one day til he left for lunch, whet in the room and filled the machine and put in test mode and let it go. A couple hours later when he returned, I has stacked 4,600 test copies beside the machine, nonstop without a jam. It did not matter to him, within seconds we were nose to nose going at each other. He was insisting he was going to get the machine replaced and I said he was not. Well I never replaced the machine until the contract changed and when he got his 7272 he was happy and smiling every time I saw him. Have any of you ran as much or more to prove a machine works?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

OMD-227
    ooooohhh yeah.... All the time.

On any High-end mono, I always run at least 300x double side pages, spilt amongst all the trays & finisher options.
    On any color machine, I run at least 100-150 the same... split over all trays & options.

Run those off while writing up paperwork/history card/job data. Leave a few nice testchart images & hi-res picture files I've got to show the client that it works great. Sometimes, they even hang the pictures around the office to brighten the place up.

Run as many as you can, especially color. You know why.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Nope, that's gotta be a record in my book. The most I've ran were a little more than 2,000. But customers like that seem to be getting more numerous every year. The "Give me a new copier" crowd, all because it jams once or twice in 10k.

I had one customer that complained about CONSTANTLY JAMMING. There would be 2 or 3 jams in a row at the finisher entrance, then it would run fine for thousands of copies. I could never get it to jam and had swapped the finisher,bridge unit and adjusted the alignment to perfection. Still kept calling for CONSTANTLY JAMMING, even though there were only 2 or 3 jams logged. I finally just sat there and ran copies for about an hour and a half. It was into the 5th ream when I found the problem. Someone came up to make copies with a huge stack of files in tow. I stopped the copier so they could use it and she set that huge stack right on top of the finisher......After a few questions I found out the jamming was just related to these 2 people who always had a huge stack to copy. I told them they needed a desk or shelf near the copier so the finisher wasn't used as one.

I'm curious how everyone here handles those "1 jam in 10k is unacceptable" customers???

........besides telling them to buy a Canon ;D

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    ooooohhh yeah.... All the time.

On any High-end mono, I always run at least 300x double side pages, spilt amongst all the trays & finisher options.
    Geez, wazza, it's almost time to do a PM with that many test copies.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

OMD-227
    I'm talking about Hercules machines mostly PWT. They need that sort of treatment!
    Besides, proof that the machine is working flawlessly prevents alot of recalls. If the client sees that many pages without any problems, they have a sense of feeling that the job has been done properly, exactly like Fixthecopier said.
    Plus, I can leave site with a good knowledge that there 'shouldnt' be any problems for a while.

I'm talking about Hercules machines mostly PWT. They need that sort of treatment!
    Besides, proof that the machine is working flawlessly prevents alot of recalls. If the client sees that many pages without any problems, they have a sense of feeling that the job has been done properly, exactly like Fixthecopier said.
    I knew it was the Hercules and that's why you are the BAT.

OMD-227
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    I knew it was the Hercules and that's why you are the BAT.
    OK, You've got me there............ whats BAT? I probably should know this I've got a feeling.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    The 1 in 10,000 jam?
    When I first started in my first year I had one of those.
    The pair of Di 520's sat side by side . The caller said jams all the time. Each machine had about 50,000 on them and a grand total of 5 jams on each. I cleaned all the rollers and told the customer I did a PM. The guy in charge was a total ass and he expected results. He called back a month later with 2 more jams. I did same thing and humored him. He became a great customer for the next 6 years he was there, buying a lot of printers from me. That building to this day is my very best customer.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

OK, You've got me there............ whats BAT? I probably should know this I've got a feeling.
    Remember, I was unsure about your user name wazza, I didn't know if it is Aussie slang for Bad Ass Tech or what.

OMD-227
    BAT indeeeeed!