Voters
850. You may not vote on this poll
  • Service provider.

794 93.41%
  • End user.

56 6.59%
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    I think I'm a tech. I'm a noob at 16 years, oh wait its 18 years now, sorry lost count. I know not as much as some of you other fine folks, but hey its a start. I'm still learning. I try to help the best i can, hope I have. Really I'm tired of this stuff. I wanted to be something else when I grew up. What the heck happened? Now what do I do? What a life, I hang out on copier forums. I think I need to get a life.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jimbo1's Avatar

Me and my Sonic Screwdriver

Tech for 11 years . Three difrferent companies.
    "Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

Cdr. William Riker

Service Manager 250+ Posts FRIDGEMAGNET's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yourownfree View Post
    I try to help the best i can, hope I have. Really I'm tired of this stuff. I wanted to be something else when I grew up. What the heck happened? Now what do I do? What a life, I hang out on copier forums. I think I need to get a life.
    I doubt that any of us started out life wanting to fix copiers.
    But we all have something in common - we want to help the best we can. That in my mind is a noble thing.

I wanted to be an electronics engineer when I left school and started in TV, (valve) radio and Hi Fi, got my qualifications and tried it for 2 years - hated it. Stuck in a workshop in my own little cubicle unable to talk and relate to others.

So I thought if I went out on the road I would at least meet people and started repairing slot machines and juke boxes - met lots of drunks.

It all kind of developed from that point - and went into office equipment.

Like I said none of us were sat in school thinking "is it going to be astronaut, fireman or copier engineer". It kind of develops.

The money could always be better - but if I was earning double I would soon be spending that much. Unless I win the lottery I will not die rich but I am happy in what I do. If I wasn't, I would have to try other things even at my age 51.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    By the end of this month, I'd have been a Copier Engineer for a whole year! :O Following in someone's footsteps.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (Oc'ed to 3GHz - Stock Volts)
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    4GB (2x 2GB) Corsair XMS Xpert II RAM
    ATi Radeon 4870 512MB GFX Card
    2x 74GB WD Raptor Sata HDD (RAID 0)
    500GB Seagate Barracuda Sata II HDD
    500GB Hitachi Sata II HDD
    600W500att OCZ PSU
    -TOTAL HDD SPACE 1148GB-

Service Manager 250+ Posts FRIDGEMAGNET's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT_Snacks-64 View Post
    By the end of this month, I'd have been a Copier Engineer for a whole year! :O Following in someone's footsteps.
    And very proud I am!

Conservative in Exile 250+ Posts laserman06's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FRIDGEMAGNET View Post
    I doubt that any of us started out life wanting to fix copiers. But we all have something in common - we want to help the best we can. That in my mind is a noble thing.

Like I said none of us were sat in school thinking "is it going to be astronaut, fireman or copier engineer". It kind of develops.

The money could always be better - but if I was earning double I would soon be spending that much. Unless I win the lottery I will not die rich but I am happy in what I do. If I wasn't, I would have to try other things even at my age 51.
    You speak the truth FRIDGEMAGNET, being a copier tech, was the farthest thing from my life. I graduated high school and went in the USMC. Got out and worked myself up to OPs Manager for a parking company. Made decent money. Hours were to long and I was hating life. But, I did it. Why, because society told me I had to. Then my daughter was born and I realized there was more to life. A friend of mine who worked in the field, recruited me. Four companies, later I am truly, happy and making decent money.
    Could I make more money doing something else, yes. Money though does not buy happiness. And, Boy I am very happy. Might not be the most glamorous job, but it is an important one. We help other companies survive. So, fellow techs, do not get discouraged, life could be worse you could be a Lawyer.
    The family that prays together, stays together!
    Smile God created you and He doesn't make mistakes!

Relax, God IS in control!

Be still and know that I am God
    Ps 46:10

after 20 odd years i think so... who can tell...

I am just a monkey with a screwdriver.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar
    I am an undertaker as everything i touch at the moment i manage to kill

It was working when i arrived and it aint no more!

Yep i'm a tonermonkey and proud of it

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts
    Did *counts fingers* four years working on T.Vs, VCRs and Hi-Fis. Got really hacked off when the company I worked with at the time gave the delivery drivers a pay-rise to effectively my pay level, did away with the job roles of "Drivers" and "Field Service Techs" and made us all "Multi-Skilled Operatives"

Now this wouldn't be so bad, but the ex-drivers weren't expected to fix anything, I still was!! As the other tech guys soon jumped off the sinking ship I suddenly found my workload excessive (getting in work at 6am and not getting home till gone 9pm). Then it was decided all of a sudden that I was to make a minimum of twelve service calls per day (as that was the maximum I had managed, hence the new benchmark) and they weren't going to pay overtime - at all.

For some reason I put up with it for three months until I couldn't handle the stress and resentment anymore, I had complete all out verbal abuse meltdown at my managers before storming out of there never to return again.

Funnily enough, they don't give me a reference hehe!

After a year of agency jobbing doing easy admin based crap until my frayed nerves had recovered, I applied for a job as a copier tech.

Been doing it eighteen months, I agree that no kid wants to wind up fixing copiers when they grow up, but hey, although it has it's moments it isn't the worst job in the world.

Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=

IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here