Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I am being trained for what???

I was told yesterday to clear my tickets so I could sit in on some training this morning. OK, what is the training? Sales for the line of postage meters and folders we carry. I said nothing as I walked away, thinking that maybe if we cut back they will lay off sales people. Now I must go to the dark side.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

You've become one of them!!!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar
    Oh no, anything but sales training. It is almost as bad as safety training.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I have had to go through some sales training a couple of times and it is painful to say the least. Being a field supervisor I ended up teaching the instructor a few things that he didn't know which was a sad thing IMO.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charm5496 View Post
    I have had to go through some sales training a couple of times and it is painful to say the least. Being a field supervisor I ended up teaching the instructor a few things that he didn't know which was a sad thing IMO.
    Yeah, they learn how to close a deal and explain the benefits of the machine, but they usually don't know much about the operation of the machine.
    PS - sorry fixthecopier, I feel for you.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Remember the first person you have to convince that the product is the greatest thing since sliced bread is yourself! Self delusion is a desired quality in a saleman but makes a lousy tech.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Remember the first person you have to convince that the product is the greatest thing since sliced bread is yourself! Self delusion is a desired quality in a saleman but makes a lousy tech.
    Very well put!

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

A few days ago I told a prospective customer about a machine that is quite good. To prove him the machine's quality, I told him we have quite a number of them out in the field and never had any major breakdown - it boils down to just a few jam calls due to feed rollers needing replacement - I believe any tech who only has to service a machine due to that will agree it is a great machine.

The salesperson came to me "You told the customer what??!?"

I'm not made for that kind of job, really...
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    it was 3 hours. I was told how much money I could make. Then when the instructor started reviewing the equipment, I showed up all the sales people. When one of the salesmen went to make copies, I ask if he needed a tech to hold his hand. Good times for one and all, although I do feel a little dirty now.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I am being trained for what?

My brother, count yourself among the luckiest people in the world! The ticket you were given to the sales training is nothing other than a ticket to RICHNESS & WEALTH, as well as your PATH TO FINANCIAL FREEDOM!
    It means your employer has noticed the very high potential in you. Your technical knoweldge in the appropriate domain, your verbal and written communications skills and probably your desires to work closely with the sales people. Having these qualities combined in a single person is relatively RARE!
    In particular most people with technical knowledge prefer to be engineers and developers, and most people in SALES prefer to be sales representatives. What your employer has recognized in you is that rare ability to combine both attributes in you to boost the business potential of the company.
    And considering your contributions to this forum & the level & calibre of your posts & debates I wouldn't blame your employer. You surely have excellent communications skills.
    In effect you are being promoted to the position of (SENIOR) TECHNICAL SALES ENGINEER. You are also being prepared for a role in SENIOR MANAGEMENT POSITION in the company.
    There is more money in SALES & MARKETING than in repair, that's why your employer is in big business, through sales of products & services. Thank your GOD for that luck.