Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Advice on customer breaking machine but not really there fault.......

I got a call from a customer yesterday saying they had a power cut and the machine wont turn on now, everything else in the office has started working again apart from the copier ?
    It turns out the main power board on the machine is knackered and costs about £250.00 plus fitting and call out.... My question is would you or your company charge the customer for this part and labour to fix it?

Thanks

Dave

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Yes, even if it is under contract, the building caused the damage just as if a water pipe burst or part of the ceiling fell on it. You would not cover any other fault like that, the power supply is the same, surge protectors are cheap. However, if they had not told you about the power problem, you would have fixed it under contract for free, thinking your power supply went bad on its own. I would work with them on the cost so my shop is not out any money.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

fixthecopier thats what I thought

thanks pal

Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar
    My company would. But then we're a fairly small company and most of the time we can fix a problem like that with parts from parts machines.

We did have one instance at a customers where we had recently installed a machine that we didn't cover. "Vandals" broke in and broke the platen glass of their copier and some old computer monitors, which were placed clearly where I could see (without any visible damage to them). The shelf 3 feet above the copier with heavy-looking things on it told me otherwise. Never accused them of lying, but we replaced the glass, gave them the bill and told them to contact their insurance agency to pay for it.
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar
    No matter what you do, someone is gonna be unhappy with the outcome. Decide now whose ire you can best handle.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    Depends on the customer. If you can sell the customer a few machines in the nearby future, I would not charge him.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Have them turn the bill into their insurance. They should pay for the "damage" to the copier just as if the building caught on fire.

Once, after a real harsh storm over a weekend we had 4 or 5 calls for dead Fiery print controllers. Lightning took out the $4000 PCB's and we had to bill them but they didn't mind since they had insurance.

hope that helps.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

we always try and work with the customer in situations like this, but the in all honesty they should have insurance to cover themselves when things like this happen.

We have installed used parts and just charged the customer labor in the past
    We have sold them a used machine and a discounted price in one instance because there's was trashed.
    And then you have the really big accounts where you just take care of the customer and not charge them a dime.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.