Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    In The Imitation is the Best Form of Flattery Dept.

Thumbs up In The Imitation is the Best Form of Flattery Dept.

Back in November I was at a neighbor's house and she wanted to see my website. So I typed in Just Manuals | The Internet's largest collection of manuals | Instant Downloads - Just Manuals | The Internet's largest collection of manuals | Instant Downloads not noticing that I misspelled it. To my shock and surprise, I was directed to another site. It was the site of one of my Russian competitors. I've done some business with him in the past which always turned out bad. Either the manual I received from him was incomplete or it was not the manual it was supposed to be. Anyhow, I did some investigation about how I can get that domain name. The organization that controls the Internet, ICANN (The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names & Number) outlines a long procedure for cases such as this. I contacted a lawyer who specializes in this sort of thing and he told me the cost was $3700 to file the complaint and get an arbitrator to settle the case. Well I didn't want to spend that kind of money, so he told me he could send a letter to the guy for $300. I figured the guy would fold if he got a letter from a lawyer like this. On a side note a few years ago, I had a domain name called epsonprintermanuals.com. I received a letter from Epson telling me that I would have to transfer the domain to them or they'll sue me. I folded and transferred the name that day. Well this was happening around the time I was upgrading my site and I didn't want to spend that $300 either so I just put it on the back burner.
    About 10 days ago, this Russian buys a manual from me. I emailed him and told him that I knew about his domain name of justmanual.com and how it was my legal right to get the domain name transferred to me. No matter if he was in Russia or Timbuktu. He folded and said he'd transfer the name to me for 5 manuals or $50. He initiated the transfer and I arranged with my host to put the domain name in my account and paid the $11.00. The domain name transfer was completed yesterday and all is well.
    Ain't life grand!

Paul

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

That worked out alright. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Seen that go both ways - depends on if you have a legitimate use for the domain name - Epson doesn't own it just because it has the word Epson in it. If you created a blog site called EpsonSux.com expounding all the reasons epson products were inferior they couldn't touch the site, although they might be able to hassle you over the content.
    Squatters on the other hand are seriously frowned upon - in some cases I've seen where not only do they lose the name, but they have to pay your legal fees.
    73 DE W5SSJ