Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Consider this a warning

So the "Hi I'm new please send me manuals and firmware" posts are starting to get to me. For the one's that include an email addy right in the post I think I'm going to start to send you spam/junk mail.

Or just some really nasty pictures. I don't think I'll send out a virus. That is just too mean. But... you are asking for trouble by putting your email addy out there on the open market. It's just as bad (if not worse) then putting your phone number is some truck stop restroom.

Remember, YOU ASKED FOR IT! And I think it's about time you get it.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Agreed. A sticky on the Newbie Check In forum would probably be a good idea, the n00bs will undoubtedly go there first to ask for it. The guy who's asked 3 questions on the 3222 needs his testicles removing with a lump hammer also.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Its making this forum suck

I have been around a long time first as Digital Copier Resources(or DCR) and now as Ct Copier Repair
    with my own business and I would have never have had the balls abd the gall to think that I could get manuals and firmware
    let alone assistance without having paid my dues and helping others out. All these Noobs and or end users this is a technicians playground
    so stay to the side of the sandbox and help first then maybe after you prove yourself we will help you. Some of the guys here I have known (online) for going on 10 years on the different boards. To them thank you brothers for the help, to the others quite frankly go home and read a frigging manual before you waste my time. And when I tell you something then accept it for what it is, 26 years experience fixing these dammed copiers and most likely I have seen it and that fixed it. Or at least gets you on the right road. But to ask why don't I have power when you didn't or can't use a meter to at least confirm the wall outlet has power you should be so lucky to stick a fork in 440 3 phase with your ass against a metal chair

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    While I do agree that the influx of end-users, gimme gimmes, and spammers does make the board less enjoyable I feel some of the sentiment is a tad harsh. I think the best approach is to report the spammers to the administrator / moderator to be dealt with and ignore those that don't appear to have any technical knowledge. If you don't want to end up hand-holding someone just don't respond. They will quickly find that they aren't welcome and I'd imagine stop posting.

I recently signed up for a forum that holds all posts from new members for review by an admin or mod before it appears. This allows them to verify you aren't a spammer and have the semblance of an intelligent human being. It takes a few posts before a new member is allowed to post without review, but seems effective.

My $0.02

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Consider this a warning

Ditto to Zed's comment. There really isn't a way to keep them out for good that wouldn't restrict the access to those of us who like the site. Just continue reporting them.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts DWise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    While I do agree that the influx of end-users, gimme gimmes, and spammers does make the board less enjoyable I feel some of the sentiment is a tad harsh. I think the best approach is to report the spammers to the administrator / moderator to be dealt with and ignore those that don't appear to have any technical knowledge. If you don't want to end up hand-holding someone just don't respond. They will quickly find that they aren't welcome and I'd imagine stop posting.

I recently signed up for a forum that holds all posts from new members for review by an admin or mod before it appears. This allows them to verify you aren't a spammer and have the semblance of an intelligent human being. It takes a few posts before a new member is allowed to post without review, but seems effective.

My $0.02
    I like this idea... Is there anyway to begin that here?