Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar
    How about us old guys that started on typewriters....used my trusty keyboard brush on an Olympia electronic typewriter keyboard once and with one swoop, half the keytops and springs popped off...it was a good thing that I memorized the qwerty keyboard. Once I mixed 2 connectors on a Mita DC 2255 power supply and when I plugged in< the power supply when BOOM...I ended up soldering a wire in place of where the track had exploded off the power supply board. I once set a new drum unit on desk and hand turned to make sure blade wouldn't flip...I forgot my spring hook on the desk and made a nice scratch on drum...I hid drum in the pile of used drum cores afraid that boss would freak. Sometimes it is how you cover your ass that is important,,,lol
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

just one copy?? 500+ Posts
    Has anyone ever done a call and made things worse than the original problem???

PM @ eSTUDIO520.
    Dropped my screw driver onto freshly rebuilt PCU. This was only a couple of months ago, so I tried a Macguyver I saw here. Clear nail polish over the nick and copies are still nice. You can notice a white dot on a sky shot, but its better than a black dot on every page outta the box.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

I was new to Sharp at the time and working on a SD4085 (POS) that fed ledger paper as portrait. Luckily, the machine was in the shop and not at a customer's site. I was told to pull the Developer unit out (it was on rails) and prep for dv change (a box with plastic liner was to hang under the dv unit). I found out quickly that the handle under the dv unit was not to pull it out but to release developer out the bottom and into that lined box.. DV and toner spilled everywhere inside the right side of machine. I became intimate with that machine taking everything out and cleaning it. I hated that machine!!!!!
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonezy999 View Post
    PM @ eSTUDIO520.
    Dropped my screw driver onto freshly rebuilt PCU. This was only a couple of months ago, so I tried a Macguyver I saw here. Clear nail polish over the nick and copies are still nice. You can notice a white dot on a sky shot, but its better than a black dot on every page outta the box.
    whoa that works? any particle labeling I should look for??

certified scrub 500+ Posts

the worst scenario is...

You got there, went through the routine on tuning the machine the right way. Then the rest of the week you revisit them every day just simply because the machine was WORKING THE WRONG WAY and you had assume wrong...

yeh, why didnt I stay in bed those days lol.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts George J's Avatar
    I hate the ones where the machine works almost perfectly, but there's this little squeak or noise that's bugging you. The client probably hasn't noticed or isn't too bothered by it, but you feel that you absolutly have to fix it!

Of course the 'quick look' goes horribly wrong and now the machine acts up and you've been listening for noises so long that you can barely tell what is a regular noise and what isn't. In the end the noise is still there and there's a small line on the backside of the copies (or some other annoying little fault)

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    ....used my trusty keyboard brush on an Olympia electronic typewriter keyboard once and with one swoop, half the keytops and springs popped off...
    LMAO

A bit before my time but I remember my one and only call on a typewriter, since the regular guy was on vacation. I was kinda clueless, but figured out how to take out this wheel thing with all the characters on it. I was cleaning all the ink off it and broke a couple of the arms with letters. I just stood there in shock thinking I just ruined their typewriter! I figured this was a very important part and must be expensive and I was in big trouble. When I got up the courage to tell the secretary about it she just went to the cabinet, pulled open a drawer full of these little boxes, opened one up and said "Is this what you broke?"

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

A better question:

Who hasn't?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I think the best lessons you learn are from your mistakes. I've rarely ever been on a call without a service manual to this day(even if I don't open it, I have it). What really bites is if you don't learn and you go through it again. I'm sure that's happened to me but I can't remember any specific incident. I've blown lamps, broken mirrors, cracked copy glass, dropped waste toner bottles, fried boards, and changed the language on a few machines, but I don't remember any repeats off hand. I'm not embarrassed anymore about taking a manual out in front of a customer, either. If they say anything, I simply say: "You see how thick this book is? Do you know how many different machines this manufacture makes? Now think about how many different manufacturers there are out there. I'm supposed to be able to fix all those machines. Do you really expect me to remember every little thing about every one of them? This thing's (manual) is thicker than the Bible! If you see a tech come out and he's not reading the manual, worry."
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Field Tech 500+ Posts

If you have never made the problem or machine worse at least once, than your should be the new messiah. I have done it a few times. Atleast.
    It didn't say that I couldn't do it in the manual.