Page 53 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slybot View Post
    and what is a LFA? sounds like xeroxspeak to me
    The LFA (Lens Fiber Array) was the device (pre laser) which focused the image of the original on the drum. It was appr 1" deep, by 11" long. Basically, it was a series of glass tubes embedded in plastic. The ends of the tubes soiled quickly as the device was located close to the development area.

The NP 120 might have come first...this goes back 20 yrs. You are correct, the NP 120 used pressure only (and i mean a LOT of pressure) for fusing, and produced a very shiny copy regardless of stock. I remember trying to explain why a customers raised letterhead was no longer raised after copying.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jimbo1's Avatar
    Ok something I worked on years ago had that LFA thingy too but I was working on Lanier/Toshiba at the time.
    Ring any bells?
    "Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

Cdr. William Riker

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1 View Post
    Ok something I worked on years ago had that LFA thingy too but I was working on Lanier/Toshiba at the time.
    Ring any bells?
    Entirely possible...but never worked on Lanier/Toshiba products.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Which copier was the biggest piece of crap ever?

Xerox 56xx family, Its predecessors and successors, Hate them.

michaelfriedrich_2
    Any of the liquid toner Savin's. I started in copier repair with this black pee-ing bastards. You could always tell an office that had one.....black toner stains on the carpet (at least not on the dress).

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Worst Analog: Konica 2020

Far and away the worst Digital and the worst overall: Konica 7020 We sold a bunch of them and not a single one of them ran. 10,000 copies out of the box every one of them $hit the bed. If it wasn't the Fuser it was the process unit, if it wasn't that it was the door latches, if it wasn't that the double feeds had flat spots in them and on and on and on. We ultimately dumped Konica because of that product.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cccjjn View Post
    Worst Analog: Konica 2020

Far and away the worst Digital and the worst overall: Konica 7020 We sold a bunch of them and not a single one of them ran. 10,000 copies out of the box every one of them $hit the bed. If it wasn't the Fuser it was the process unit, if it wasn't that it was the door latches, if it wasn't that the double feeds had flat spots in them and on and on and on. We ultimately dumped Konica because of that product.

I know of many digitals that were worse than the Konica 7020 series. Take the Konica 7145, for example..........

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Which copier was the biggest piece of crap ever?

Quote Originally Posted by ddude View Post
    I know of many digitals that were worse than the Konica 7020 series. Take the Konica 7145, for example..........
    Although I agree the feeding system of those machines are utter crap, if it wasn't for that I would enjoy working with the 7020 family (and I include the 7145 - I don't think it's better or worse than the 7020 really).
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    We were bit so bad by the 7020 series that we dropped Konica so I never had the pleasure of working on the 7145.

It wasn't so much that they were difficult to work on it was that they were so un-reliable. We were a dual line dealer with Ricoh at the time and the Ricoh machines were requiring half the number of service calls. The cost of the Konica parts was also rediculous compared to the Ricoh of the day.

Ralph S

Yes Yes Savin 840.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    LOL!
    I also don't know if anyone nominated my choice. I nominate the Savin 840. It was a VERY small, moving platen, liquid toner copier. (Yes, a personal copier with a gallon of liquid ink, what could go wrong?) In additon to being a general P.I.T.A. to work on, every call was a "dry start" that would destroy the drum. The Savin 840 was the founder of the "drum of the month club". Liquid copiers were good because of the heavy volume that they ran. SOHO users would run only enough copies to ensure that the toner fused the drum to the blade and when it powered on, CRUNCH! Another drum bites the dust! Of course since they were so small, people would try to carry them around and leave permanant trails of toner everywhere.
    YES, the Savin 840. in '84 i started in the business and Savin liquids. I had the "pleasure" of meeting one of the design architects on the 840 in our shop as I was rebuilding one. Very simple unit, that caused lots of grief. He was proud of the box. I then told him about 10 horror stories in 10 minutes. He was definately a design it, make it, don't bother testing it kind of guy...