Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Tech 500+ Posts
    Company Car or Company car allownace

Do you guys get a company car or a company car allowance? Do you have a choice?
    It didn't say that I couldn't do it in the manual.

Older techs get company cars, New hires get car allowance, with gas around 4 bucks, I am glad I have a company car.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Company provides 08 Toyota Tacoma with company gas card
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Personal car with the Runzheimer program.

There was talk of getting us (highly decalled) company cars, but that fizzled... so much to the point where guys that do have them (different division) will be losing them once the leases expire.

Personally, I have no use for a company car. It would just be in the way and an added responsibility.

If we do ultimately do go that way, (which is very doubtful) I would leave it at the office, pick it up at 8:00 and drop it off at 5:00. That way there would be no BS with company vs. personal miles.

IMHO, the guys (and gals) who need them are the young new hires. Typically, they make less money (if that's possible ), don't have established credit, and are more likely to have a few points on their license so that their insurance costs more.That was me when I first started - we had company cars back then. To me, that was by far the biggest benefit, and was the biggest single reason I got into the business.

I thought I'd do the gig and get out after a while, but that was 32 years ago.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar
    Company car. I have had one , with various companies , for over 10 years. Plus company fuel card. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Far rather put wear and tear on their £20k car than mine. Plus any issues AT ALL - lift the phone and get a replacement whilst the issue gets sorted. Although there are not "free". Even as an essential tool for the job, we still get taxed on them. But its faaaar cheaper than ownership.
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I have had both and prefer to lease my own vehicles and get reimbursed for mileage.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

If you drive your own vehicle, it only makes sense to buy something that's affordable, easy on gas, and most importantly, won't eat you out of house and home in maintenance and repairs.

For instance, all the Hondas (Civics and Accords) and Toyotas (Solara and Tercel) I've had over the years have been stellar.

On the other hand, the '99 Dodge Intrepid I had pretty much ate me alive in repairs and breakdowns.

Another plus is that instead of worrying about paying taxes on a benefit, I get to write off the IRS allowance versus my vehicle compensation at tax time. In my case, that normally makes about a $1500 difference.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    We have company cars and it's not that much in taxes to drive them home. We used to "pay" to drive the vehicles home instead of picking up and dropping off everyday, but payroll changed it to a "job benefit" or something so we only pay tax on the government set amount for using the vehicle. I believe it ends up being $1.50 one way, so $3 buck a day is the assumed cost to the company. We then pay the tax on that non cash benefit back to the government. I think on an average check it's about $12 for 2 weeks. I can't operate a vehicle for $6 a week so I don't mind paying that.
    the savin2535 is displaying well bet the hiter lamp is not shining and the lamp had been tested o.k.please kindly help.
    Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of shit out the window.
    Michael Bolton: You and me both, man. That thing is lucky I'm not armed.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Going off topic just a bit...

Do you guys have trackers fitted to your cars so the company knows where you are, my company has just started this and its not very popular with some techs.

Not yet, but it has been discussed.

I think I see a roll of aluminum foil in my future...