Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

A question of legality

Is it technically legal to post someone's name and picture on craigslist (or a similar website) in an effort to track this person down? Here's the deal, my wife's bicycle was stolen from in front of the small convenience store where she works. We put up flyers with pictures of the bike in the store and around the neighborhood. She also questioned a bunch of customers in the store. Long story short, we have several witnesses who gave us the name of the guy who is riding around the neighborhood on my wife's bike. So, we found him in the local high school yearbook, got his picture and confirmed his identity with the witnesses. So here's the legal question: We posted flyers all over the neighborhood with his picture and his name along with a picture of the bike. I also posted an ad on craigslist with his name and picture and details about the stolen bike. Is it technically legal to post someone's name and picture online with regards to a crime? Does it make a difference that he's a minor? I'm just curious...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Re: A question of legality

As long as he's white, you should be fine. (sad but true)
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    A question of legality

Why don't you ask zaza

Well, he's mixed, but he looks white.

A question of legality

What difference does his race make?

I guess it never occurred to you to just go to the police?

Why didnt you report it to the police as stolen? you got proof that it belongs to your wife... you have witnesses of him going around on the bike... report your property as stolen and he will have to cough it up.
    As for posting a pic... well yeah not too sure but there could be legal issues there, as it can be considered invasion of privacy (at least where i live, not so sure how it goes on the USA... regardless he comitted a crime or not, your not the law)

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Try this... post of a pic of him and with it something that says "ask me about my experience with this guy" I think that way you can get around all the legal stuff.

I heard of this being done at a car dealership. The police came because a guy had a sign infront of the a dealership that ripped on them. That wasn't allow, so he came back with a sign that said "ask me about my experience with this dealership" and they cops couldn't take him away for that.

IDK.. maybe that's the loop hole ya need.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by hekotez View Post
    Why didnt you report it to the police as stolen? you got proof that it belongs to your wife... you have witnesses of him going around on the bike... report your property as stolen and he will have to cough it up.
    As for posting a pic... well yeah not too sure but there could be legal issues there, as it can be considered invasion of privacy (at least where i live, not so sure how it goes on the USA... regardless he comitted a crime or not, your not the law)
    Yeah, we did report it to the police (with the serial number of the bike, the receipt and everything) who promptly washed their hands of the matter saying that basically we would have to track down this twinkle-toed little cocksucker ourselves before they would get involved. We even gave the police the guys name and the areas he wast last seen riding my wife's bike and they just shrugged their shoulders. Basically, we have to catch the guy ourselves and then call the police once we have him.

Quote Originally Posted by RRodgers View Post
    Try this... post of a pic of him and with it something that says "ask me about my experience with this guy" I think that way you can get around all the legal stuff.

I heard of this being done at a car dealership. The police came because a guy had a sign infront of the a dealership that ripped on them. That wasn't allow, so he came back with a sign that said "ask me about my experience with this dealership" and they cops couldn't take him away for that.

IDK.. maybe that's the loop hole ya need.
    I'm kinda hoping the guy does complain, because then the cops will have no choice but to get involved.

A question of legality

Whey would you ask a bunch of copier techs a question on legalities in the first place?