Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

Re: Unusual machines / why did they build it?

Savin 7045 color liquid copier.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Unusual machines / why did they build it?

Don't remember the model, but I believe it was a Mita box......the 20 bin sorter had a mechanism that would pull stapled sets out of the bins and drop into a side car like appendage and machine would would restart a second set of 20. To accomplish this the machine also had a re-circulating feeder. Once first set of 20 finished a little arm would pop up and slide the originals back to the feed position. And the icing on the cake was the toner add. Open a cover and set toner cart. on and press a button. Cartridge would be lowered into machine and engage with a gear. This gear would drive and pull the mylar seal off cartridge and toner would fall into hopper.

Then who can forget the Sharp 7900 with the rotating cassette.....

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Back in the day when I worked on Canon microfilm, one of the parts fiches I had was for an overhead projector for one of the smallest Canon copiers. I never saw one, and never actually looked at that fiche through the viewer, so anybody know what that was?
    As far as the machines I've actually seen, my vote would be for the 3M M777. Analog machine from back in the 80's that used pneumatic sensors in the paper path, and the drum indexed. I've only seen one of those, though, never worked on it.
    As for the machines I've actually worked on, the prize would go to the Canofile 250/510. Scanned 40 documents a minute to a magneto - optical disk. They would display the documents on one of the better monochrome LCD screens that was available back in the '90s, and print from what Canon called dumb printers, they were similar to the HP printer chassis of the day, but without any HP circuitry. The disks were virtually indestructible. Alas, they got priced out of existense by cheap CD-ROMs.