Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Re: Typical conversation to place a service call.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    There was a repeating defect, and she asked him to please bring the drum unit.

As opposed to a repeating effect brought about by a fuser roller or a transfer unit (if a machine uses a transfer belt)? Nothing more annoying than the person who proclaims they knows x because their spouse is in that particular industry.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Typical conversation to place a service call.

Customer: My copier won't scan.

Me: What brand & model do you have?

Customer: I don't know.

Me: Did it scan before?

Me: Can you print to it?

So basically I have to show up with a magic wand to make (I don't know) scan.

It was an old analog copier they pulled from their storeroom because they were told all copiers scan now.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts excanonguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Because that's one of the only 2 technical words they know. The other one is "roller".
    I think that this applies world wide regardless of language lol!

ragajungle
    " the toner missile thingy exploded... It's all over the wall, the carpet, it ruined my new blouse... We need a tech out ASAP"
    Dispatch: it just exploded? Was it the right toner?
    "yes, I put it in myself... It just went POOF!"

When I arrived the toner hopper on the ir4570 was installed correctly. No toner anywhere near the hopper. On the right hand door there were tonery paw prints, so much toner on the wall behind the machine that it looked like a fire broke out. There were high heals covered in toner in the drinking fountain, toner smears on the wall and an unplugged Hoover vacuum cleaner absolutely covered in toner..... All of the desks, the fake plants, filing cabinets and computers had a light dusting of toner.

It looked like they literally pried open the toner bottle nipple and flung it in heaping handfuls into the right side of the device- no where near the hopper.

This was my first service call. I became intimately knowledgeable about the complete disassembly of a Canon copier. Everything had to be cleaned. I still have no idea what happened. I wish I took pics tho.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    As opposed to a repeating effect brought about by a fuser roller or a transfer unit (if a machine uses a transfer belt)? Nothing more annoying than the person who proclaims they knows x because their spouse is in that particular industry.
    Annoyingly right. I confess she did ask me specific questions beforehand, like how much toner should be just sitting on the surface of the drum. They were good questions. I was impressed. I'd put her up against a green tech any day of the week.

On one occasion I was trying to teach a tech how to string wires. He spent most of the day getting two saggy, loose wires. I brought the tools home and set them on the kitchen table. With some coaching and three snapped wires, she strung (6) good NP6085 wires within 2 hours. I was trying to determine if I was an inept teacher, or had an inept pupil.

I still don't know the answer to that question, but it was a fun experiment. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Another one I thought of... I remember when a customer called once they said: " our machine sounds like a fire truck" I was like wth??? So I went on the call. And sure enough It sounded like a siren on the old time fire trucks.. I was baffled. Then I figured out the write unit was going out. I was still fairly new then so I never seen that problem. Those that work on the bizhub 250/350 series probably know what I'm talking about.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    Another one I thought of... I remember when a customer called once they said: " our machine sounds like a fire truck" I was like wth??? So I went on the call. And sure enough It sounded like a siren on the old time fire trucks.. I was baffled. Then I figured out the write unit was going out. I was still fairly new then so I never seen that problem. Those that work on the bizhub 250/350 series probably know what I'm talking about.
    I had a Canon L700 fax like that. It was at an airport, and every time a fax printed it sounded like a jet aircraft was landing (mirror motor failing). Except there were a lot of jet aircrafts landing nearby, so no one really paid it much attention. "You mean that noise isn't a jet?" =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I had a Canon L700 fax like that. It was at an airport, and every time a fax printed it sounded like a jet aircraft was landing (mirror motor failing). Except there were a lot of jet aircrafts landing nearby, so no one really paid it much attention. "You mean that noise isn't a jet?" =^..^=
    Oh, man, I remember those stupid little motors failing!

I think that the rest of the fax was built around it.

After you did the first few, it got a lot easier. (Which was a good thing, as I think I went through about 2 each week for a while.)
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    I agree, but I hated to say that. The particular client that comes to mind used to unwrap 5 reams of paper and leave it out so it would be "ready" for the tray when they were empty.
    Hey .... give them a break .... they apparently have never worked in a normal environment.
    Opening the paper is OK ,I guess, if they were working on the Space Station .
    But not in the Southern United States , or the Northern , Eastern, or Western regions for that matter .

Prntrfxr , did your client work on the space station ? ... I know this is way off the subject, but, I wonder what kind of printer they do use ( did use ? ) on the space station ?

Thermal maybe ? How does no gravity affect toner transfer ? Once the laser spins up , how long for it to come to a stop ?
    HMMMMM ? Just my curiosity runnin' wild .
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HenryT2 View Post
    Hey .... give them a break .... they apparently have never worked in a normal environment.
    Opening the paper is OK ,I guess, if they were working on the Space Station .
    But not in the Southern United States , or the Northern , Eastern, or Western regions for that matter .

Prntrfxr , did your client work on the space station ? ... I know this is way off the subject, but, I wonder what kind of printer they do use ( did use ? ) on the space station ?

Thermal maybe ? How does no gravity affect toner transfer ? Once the laser spins up , how long for it to come to a stop ?
    HMMMMM ? Just my curiosity runnin' wild .
    Theoretically in the vacuum of space it would never stop spinning without an opposing force equal to that which was used to commence the spinning, any greater force and it would simply spin endlessly in the other direction.