Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Field Tech 500+ Posts
    I would like to meet a Canon Engineer and kick him/her in the beard.

Re: I would like to meet a Canon Engineer and kick him/her in the beard.

Just to chip in, AWESOME rant. I work mainly on Toshiba and some parts are a pain to change. My theory is that the guys who design them do so when they are so drunk they get that feeling we all do when we are drunk and then later realise we are dumb. You all know it, it starts with these words.....Yeah, that is a good idea.
    It didn't say that I couldn't do it in the manual.

I worked on canon kit for 15 years then I moved on to kyoceraAnd konica when I started looking at canon again it was a shame That a great engineering company had forgot everything thatMade them great in the 1st place I would not have a canonProduct in my top ten now THEY LOST THE PLOT ALONG TIME AGO !!!

ragajungle

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Speaking of funky engineering, what about the HP desktop printers? These are good printers, but if I had not had a manual with the disassembly procedure the first time I had to dig in to one, I would have been screwed. How it LOOKS like it comes apart IS NOT the way it comes apart.
    All the newer printers and faxes are like that now.

Which brings me to full circle bitching back to segment 1 Canon crap.
    //////////////////////Canon LC710/LC730/////////////////////////

The above said machine wasn't engineered by an engineer. Nope. It was created by other-worldly powers. Minions from hell I suspect. Minions with very, very, very small hands and a gross knowledge of Karmic Retribution and creating "jack-in-the-box" drive assemblies that last somewhere between 6,000 and 200,000 clicks. Jack in the box because to get to the drive assembly you have to strip the machine down. pretty much every screw you see, you remove. Pull a panel and find 28 screws, remove 28 screws. All the boards too! Wait though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,one of the connectors to a board you need to remove is under the scanner. remove the scanner too. And the best part is when you get to the dive assy. when you pry, twist and mangle the outter plate off all the gears are floating and or spring loaded... cruel. So then your hunting around on some psychedelically inspired hospital carpeting trying to find a plastic gear or keeper small enough to inhale if you aren't careful...

I wish I had a camera the last 2 times I rebuild a drive assy on one. In one case the key contact walked in and thought I had a fit and smashed her machine! There were just that many frikken pieces! In the end it was a one way that cost roughly $0.05 and 5 hours of labor.

seriously? who the fuch let this go to production? Who in there right mind looked at that and said (Lewis Black Voice Coming to Mind)

"Ahhhhhh yep [staring down at the device with a long silence] looks like the most straight forward route to go. couldn't see anything possibly going wrong here..."

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

hi all
    we all in the same boat irespective of the manurefacturer
    the saying goes like that
    salesman sales a dream and the technician stuck with the nightmare
    good luck to all of us

ps not thath bad we all still here

Senior Tech 100+ Posts excanonguy's Avatar

Having worked on Canon for 18 yrs it was pretty decent stuff, but I saw the decline start before I left in 2006 ...from what I hear from old friends who are still there I had a lucky escape!!

ragajungle

Quote Originally Posted by excanonguy View Post
    Having worked on Canon for 18 yrs it was pretty decent stuff, but I saw the decline start before I left in 2006 ...from what I hear from old friends who are still there I had a lucky escape!!
    Okay, good So I am not losing my mind!

Worked for Canon 3-4 years ago. Great colleagues, pay and so on. But the copiers were constructions, designed on LSD or crystal-meth. Maybe both.
    I now work on Ricohs, and I remember the first months as pure pleasure, amazed by how simple things can be done. Most parts making yield, easy access to commonly changed parts. Man I love those machines.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

can I add one other copier to the list of bad design. a konica minolta c10. it took me 3 days to change an internal gear ($1.00 part cost). I now refuse to work on these piles of garbage.
    Sorry folks, reputation removed by Just Manuals, because he's a sad little wanker

Partner in crime 100+ Posts Avskrap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morlock49 View Post
    can I add one other copier to the list of bad design. a konica minolta c10. it took me 3 days to change an internal gear ($1.00 part cost). I now refuse to work on these piles of garbage.
    That, my friend, is why you throw it out the window when the customer isn't looking.

The design of the bizhub C203/C353 feed assy's for the trays are quite annoying, seeing as they're all different for the three trays. The easiest is the 2nd, where you remove four screws and one cable. Then there's there LCT (if there is one), where you have to demolish the back of the machine if you want to take the feed unit out. But, it works to sit on the floor changing the rollers. But then there's the 1st tray... Where you have to remove the bypass tray to even see the feed unit. When I first started messing with these on the field as a fresh tech, I was horrified...

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jam-man View Post
    Worked for Canon 3-4 years ago. Great colleagues, pay and so on. But the copiers were constructions, designed on LSD or crystal-meth. Maybe both.
    I now work on Ricohs, and I remember the first months as pure pleasure, amazed by how simple things can be done. Most parts making yield, easy access to commonly changed parts. Man I love those machines.
    choose your poison - the rubics cube or eating a bag of toner