Quote Originally Posted by Ollie1981 View Post
Yeah, I've seen those kind of sales environments, where head office expect "10 conversions minimum from everyone this week or one of you will get fired" and that kind of pressure cooker isn't where decent conscientious staff thrive, that is basically where borderline psychopaths thrive, the kind of person who'll sleep soundly at night despite the fact that he's just caused an absolute nightmare for everyone else involved in that deal, but hey the contract is signed, the commission is in the bag and his job is done. Everyone else can just kiss his ass.

Problem is, that kind of person tends to go far. They always deliver the figures, they drive a nice car, they wear a £1000 suit and always have the latest corporate bullshit buzzword right of the tip of their tongue. To the board they come across as driven and motivated, compared to service staff who tend to be less concerned about personal advancement (out on the tools is far from the path of least resistance to career advancement) and wear considerably cheaper clothes (I have to dress in "business attire", but there's no way in hell that I'm spending more than discount store money on clothes that are going to get covered in toner on a daily basis) and live firmly in the real world (not the weird world created by sales and marketing where silly things like only having 24 hours in a day, a limited customer base and limited resources are no obstacle to unbelievable success).

I know I'd rather be up to my eyeballs in copier parts trying to get some POS working than sweating in a cubicle, with a constant sinking feeling in my guts that it I don't close three more sales by 5pm, I might not be able to pay my mortgage this month.
You said a mouthful.
-I