Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

company car tracking

hello
    does anyone have trackers fitted to their company cars ?
    if so what are the pros and cons to them ?
    and what info can be obtained from them ?

thanks

Re: company car tracking

Yep. Speed, If the car is running, location... My bosses can watch us move around like pacman. lol. They believe it keeps people working and not stopping to run errands, but in my opinion it is a waste of money. The people that you need to worry about always find ways.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    company car tracking

As nearly all items you can use it for good and for bad.
    If you need to control your Techs on every Step, they make, there is something generally wrong in the Company
    We have GPS Trackers in the Cars not to watch every Step, but because we have a relatively big Radius (Approx 200 KM) it becomes very useful, if a >100KM Customer call comes in and you see a Technician nearby, so you can redirect him. Saves a Lot of Time and Money.
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    company car tracking

Most GPS Tracking software can give you:

Total miles driven (good for reimbursements)
    Avg Speed (detect chronic speeders)
    Location (you can tell who is not at their 1st call at 8)
    "breadcrumb" maps (you can replay their whole day)
    best routing alerts (alert when a driver take the longer "scenic" route)
    Off hour movement alerts
    Fences & corrals (alerts when a tech stops at his house for a nooner or leaves a certain geographical area)
    Insurance discounts

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Only one respond possible : Big Brother is watching you!When my boss is going to install this in my car, I'll quit right away!

Field Tech 500+ Posts
    company car tracking

We never used to get tracked until people started taking the pis* and got caught. We get tracked through our phones not via our cars. I spoke to my manager when this happened and all he said is. If you do your job you have nothing to worry about.

The straw which broke the camels back at our place was a tech who is no longer with use bragged in the workshop, within ear shot of our directors and dispatchers that he was at home most days at 3pm-4pm and no one knew and that he had been doing it for ages.

When I saw him I went a lil crazy with him to say the least. I work late a lot and this is probably due to him finishing early and me getting the calls. Bad team player.

It is always the same thing. A few guys take things to far and we all get punished.
    It didn't say that I couldn't do it in the manual.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

My biggest competitor has trackers in thier tech cars and trucks. They have to clock out to cash thier checks. My company has no such thing. We stay so busy there is no time to goof off. It is nice to be able to stop somewhere to do a personel errand and know the boss does not care as long as we do not abuse it.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    company car tracking

Suddenly, you know every supermarket near your job site in the city. What's the harm of walking a lil' bit.

as mentioned, if you work hard, nothing to worry about. If its slow tho...what can you do.
    Last edited by jmaister; 08-07-2011 at 02:12 AM.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts

I don't have one in my vehicle at my current job, there's too much of a mix of circumstances with people having company vehicles and some others claiming back expenses for the use of their own cars. There's not a lot you can do if the company wants to install a tracker in it's own vehicle, but most people would balk at the idea of a company tracker being installed in your their own cars.

I did however, in the dim and distant past work for a company that instituted a policy of installing trackers in vehicles and boy it didn't take long for senior management far from the coalface to get a serious hard on for poking around with the management tools. Such hilarity ensued such as emailed reprimands for not "showing up" to the on-file address of the customer you were supposed to be attending, never mind the fact that a simple look on multimap or similar would have showed that the address you did park at was a neighbouring street and/or multi-storey car park as a lot of city centre customers have no actual on site parking facilities. There was all the usual big brother type nonsense about speeding, shortest/quickest routing and reprimands for getting stuck in traffic jams when "there was clearly several other routes that could be taken to the customer".

It was a cheap crappy system and easily defeated, the tracker itself had it's own separate wiring routed directly onto the vehicle battery via it's own inline blade fuse, pop the bonnet, pull out the blade fuse and you are suddenly invisible. Also this was 8 or 9 years ago before the proliferation of GPS and was based on the cell phone network hence some of the routing was wildly inaccurate, sometimes you would travel to your customer via the sea and/or over hills with no roads when the signal was weak, even the dumbest stuffed suit couldn't explain that away!

Service Manager 250+ Posts Ianizer's Avatar

No company rig, but there is GPS tracking on the Ball & Chain (mobile phone).

Sure, I have no love of having my movements monitored by Little Brother, but at the end of the day, you're operating on their dime.
    I put in an honest days work for an honest days pay and my time off the clock is my own. I don't worry about such things, but do have my lines in the sand.

The technology is neither good nor bad -- it just is.

If the information is used for statistical and tracking data that can better the department's ability to service the customer, then it's being put to good use.
    If they have nothing better to do than to micromanage your every pee break, well, they have bigger problems than what you're up to.
    Time to look for another situation.

-I
    Last edited by Ianizer; 08-08-2011 at 01:31 AM.