Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    certified scrub 500+ Posts
    A word for the new guys.

A word for the new guys.

G'day,

I'm sorta new to the MFP industry, but I'm no stranger to work environment. What I am to put in here is not taught in school, mostly learnt from hitting the wall, or wise words passed down from gents from last generation whether it be long shore man, landscaper, engineer, architect or simply janitor.

Work eitquette is quite crucial to how one could progress in their profession. The lack of it shortens your stay anywhere known to professionals.
    Corporate environment maybe less stringent on gossips and back talks, one may stay longer as the heat may dissapear before it reaches you.
    In the smaller shop, however, be on your toes.

Always be respectful to who sign your cheques, even if they double as sales. The next level down may manage account and complaint and b**** about how unintelligent things are done. One should NEVER take side with this one, as some may suffer from verbal diarrhea, all words spoken should be heard and forgotten. As a tech, we should only care about operation of the machinery and gossips shouldnt be on your social resume. Sure as rain in vancouver, you will slip at the most inappropritae time in front the person that will change his/her face like a deck of cards.

Longterm employed folks(avoiding the word: senior ) can get away with arrogant moment sometimes, but not us young lads.

May this reach you in time, take it however you wish.

Sincerely

J
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Ianizer's Avatar

Re: A word for the new guys.

Well put, Jmaister. Well put.
    -I

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    A word for the new guys.

It's easy to forget those early days. But, yes, especially in a larger service organization it works best to keep your head down and don't comment on the idiocy you see all around you.

I always believed that if I did the best job I could do for my customers, that somewhere along the way management would notice. In retrospect, the customers notice first. Management sees a lack of complains. The best compliments I ever got were, "Send back the guy with the mustache. He gets the job done."

Don't wait around for that clap on the back "J, that was a good job you did there!" It doesn't happen very often, deserved or not. And pointing out everybody else's failings will only get you on everybody's shit list, fast.

This is a topic that doesn't come to light often enough. Thanks J. Good job. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ragajungle
    YES, the less your manager hears from/about you the better.....

Service Manager 250+ Posts Ianizer's Avatar

Point well taken, Chat Noir, less is more... However, better to seek more than silence... Dissatisfied customers rarely complain... They just don't come back... Two & a half decades in industry, I'm certainly no praise hound, but do receive the odd compliment... "My manager always likes to hear positive feedback" generally ellicits a cheerful request for contact info... This is not a bad thing... -I

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    A word for the new guys.

we are really BIG on customer feedback around here. Our bonuses depend on it so every customer is treated like royalty. I make sure the work area is cleaned up and every problem they had is verified by them as "fixed" before I leave. All of my main customers have my email and we chat back and forth regularly to make sure issues are not being overlooked or forgotten between calls.

In my opinion the only thing that is different between the equipment and companies these days is the customer service. I go out of my way every chance I get to make sure that customer knows I am there for them at all time during the work day...and after hours for a fee. =)
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    A word for the new guys.

Dissatisfied customers rarely complain... They just don't come back...
    I agree with Ianizer. Customers who are displeased disappear and then they go out and tell 10 people how bad you are. Customers who are happy typically tell only 5 people. You want the latter not the former and you should want your boss to know that you make the latter happen. I used to keep a sign in my work area. It read: "We make miracles happen here everyday." It wasn't about bragging or trying to make others respect us more. It was a reminder to myself that it was my goal every day. I explained that to my co-workers and it affected everyone in my department. Our quality and productivity went up.

it works best to keep your head down and don't comment on the idiocy you see all around you.
    There are some bosses that no matter what you do will complain. Nothing you can do about those types. We have 3 bosses, 2 of them liked the sign and showed more appreciation for our tech's abilities. The 3rd one told us it was tacky and to take it down. You win some, you lose some. So it is better not to focus on the negative comments or the crazy and insane things that happen.

My advice: Make it your goal to do the best you can. Ask questions from more experienced techs. Don't be afraid to admit you made a mistake or that you don't know something. Try to leave the customer happy. At the end of the day, no matter what happens, just do your job and go home. Don't pay attention to what your fellow techs are doing wrong (they'll get their's in the end) and don't let someone else's negativity rub off on you. If you have to vent, post your rant here at CTN. At least we understand what you're going through.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".