Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Have your service meetings become sales meetings?

It seems to me that our bi-weekly service meetings are now focused on policies and procedures, and how to raise sales.

Not just sales of equipment, but service contracts, supplies, network support, yadda yadda.

I remember when we actually used to discuss machine issues, new equipment, and general technology, rather than looking at PowerPoints and Excel spreadsheets of endless numbers.

I know that the role of a tech is migrating to more of a consultant, but it seems that the technology has taken a back seat to gaining market share.

I know that some of this is necessary, but it seems to be getting a bit much. We actually had a really talented tech quit - just because he didn't want to be a salesman.

I'm all for turning in leads, just like we've always done, but the way I see it, as long as we keep the products running smoothly and keep a good relationship with our customers, the sales department should do their jobs.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 250+ Posts Ianizer's Avatar

Re: Have your service meetings become sales meetings?

Ah! The good ole days...

By bi-weekly, Ken, do you mean twice a week or every other week?

I read somewhere that meetings are the largest business time waster there is.
    One might pop off with something like that, but this was a real study.
    They ought to be infrequent, brief, and to the point, the study suggested. They're somewhat of a necessary evil.

Our recent meeting degraded, at one point, into a clash of personalities between two individuals, seeming to support the theory. (While awkward, in the public setting, it wasn't entirely unpredictable.)

Field techs seem to suffer from a common dilema. Our work is largely solitary, so meetings, allowed to carry on too long, often fall to anecdotal "war stories" of mostly isolated cases not necessarly pertinent to day-to-day territory management. And, as there are often a number of "right ways" to do a thing, one can easily find themselves in a meeting with an argument simmering just below the surface.

I've really come to believe that the occasional team meeting is the way to go. Half a dozen people, at most; preferably in the filed -- maybe early breakfast; strictly defined time frame and agenda, with no time for stories.

I also like the occasional no-agenda breakfast meeting, but with defined time frame. It's a necessary outlet for our singular work.

-I

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

What the hell is a meeting???
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts The Otrain's Avatar

A meeting? It is a "tongue-lashing", reminding you when you screwed up in the previous 2 weeks or so. Sometimes, they feed the animals too!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

As the copier division is the smallest division of our organization, the copier portion is usually a brief mention or non-existent.

If all the techs were to get to gather for an early breakfast on the road, it would be a normal day, and I'd be all by my lonesome.
    If there is some sort of purpose for such meetings I haven't figured it out yet. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

The best service meetings I've ever had were what we do now. The other service tech and I usually meet by our cars after work, have a smoke and discuss the day and upcoming work. These are the most productive work meeting I've ever had.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Nowadays, with the economy as bad as it is, the shift of a lot of companies is to generate sales, try to keep margins up, and at the same time stay competitive. A lot of smaller service companies are simply no longer in business. At the same time some companies have acquired other companies and some of those clients have become larger service companies.

I look at it this way. 1) Sales affects my job (whether I have one or not or whether I am going to continue having a 401K, for example), so it is important to hear how the company is doing and what they are planning to improve. 2) If they are talking about sales, they are not attacking your department.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

we try to have quick weekly meetings in the AM for around 30 minutes where we go over technical issues and any updates that come down from the manufacturers. We also go over all the positive feedback from the customers and fellow employees. We do not let the meetings get out of hand with sarcastic comments or let it turn into bitchfest.

I do feel that as a tech though it is our responsibility to the customer and my company to report any opportunities or needs that my customers might have to help my company grow.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I take my techs to breakfast once a month and talk shop. Sales see technicians as "neccesary evil" and our meetings usually involve throwing more money into sales by taking it from the service department.
    Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

btbear

Our meetings to discuss machines are walking in the shop in the morning or walking out in the afternoon.