View Poll Results: ...

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the stuff works great!

1 5.88%
  • No, I don't rate the stuff, I always replace worn rubber rollers.

9 52.94%
  • I just use a damp cloth to clean the surface of rubber rollers that still have some tread left.

2 11.76%
  • I spray them with WD40.

4 23.53%
  • I hate polls, and I hate you for creating one!

1 5.88%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts just a tech's Avatar
    i have used soap and water,rubber rejuvenator,plain water, and simple green over the last few years..believe that simple green probably cleans dirty rollers the best for me...ya notice, i said "dirty" rollers..i believe in keepin the rollers clean, but if they are worn in any way--they get replaced..never tried wd-40 and probably never will due to smell of chemical.(customers can be funny like that..lol)

Technician

rubber rejuvenators i never used and heres why

An old timer told me about using WD-40 on feed tires and I laughed at him thinking he was joking. Then came the deliema within a month of his telling me about"His Trick". After driving 40 miles out for a service call and having found out the pick up tires were failing and realizing id have to do this boring ride again real soon as I didnt have the feed tires, i got desperate. I scuffed up the tires with emery cloth and sprayed some WD-40 on a rag, rubbed it on the feed tires and then to my amazement ......the tires started looking BRAND NEW! Yep,,, He was right and from that day forward, ive been doing that "trick" and rarely replace tires.

How about rubber transport rollers? Do you clean them every call, or only when there is a jamming problem. What do you use on them?

Technician

I use WD-40 on ALL rubber items

Quote Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
    How about rubber transport rollers? Do you clean them every call, or only when there is a jamming problem. What do you use on them?
    I have used WD40 on printer/copier/fax feed tires, registration rollers, glues (stickers) on the plastic skins, also it removes all/any ink pen marks, and lastly roofing tar. This is fantastic stuff and was discovered by accident. Water Dispersant is the W/D, found by chance while testing for a formula to repel water on a motorboat engine.

KonicaMinolta Tech. 250+ Posts CMB's Avatar
    scientiest at NASA invented it by accident seeking a lubricant for rocket ships. they noticed it displaced water, so the name wd formula 40.
    http://christianoutdoorsman.com/forums/
    www.lewisdigital.net
    Lewis Digital
    630-1 Capital Circle N.E. | Tallahassee, FL 32301
    Telephone: 850.222.4418

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2:12

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unisys12 View Post
    I will experiment with the WD-40 on a shop machine we have though. I'm always willing to try new things.
    Hey guys! I said I would try it and I did. I have been playing around with the stuff on all sorts of different transport rollers and I will admit that I am pretty impressed with the results. Just today I was cleaning a machine that had been sitting in the garage (3 bay garage we have at our shop were we store used equipment and misc crap) for a few months. While cleaning the transport rollers in the duplex area, which are spring loaded on a shaft, I was having a hard time cleaning them with SD-20. I was just about to grab the Fedron and thought of the WD-40, so I grabbed it instead. I have cleaned transport rollers in several ADF's in the shop and was happy with the results, so I thought what the heck. I hardly had to apply any pressure to get the crap off the rollers.

Needless to say, I will be removing the small "flask" of Fedron from my tool kit and will be purchusing a small spray bottle of Da' 40 to replace it.

Now, if we could just come up with a way to stop techs from pouring oil all over brass bushings, we might actually have this copier repair thing down to a science!
    Last edited by unisys12; 09-28-2007 at 03:33 AM. Reason: I might be able to speak english, but I never said I could type it!!

peakcity

WD40 History

Since there seems to be some interest, you may want to check this out: Welcome to WD-40 * About Us: Our History and check out some of the unusual uses of WD40.

Still learning... 100+ Posts
    Do you use a rubber rejuvenator?

Re: Do you use a rubber rejuvenator?

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just thought I'd share the WD-40 love
    Started off using a general printroom cleaner (think it's alkaline based), which helped with cleaning but little else. Rejuvinator, likewise, cleaned them up ok but didn't seem to restore any grip qualities. WD on the other hand, definitely adds grip, for a while at least. It's amazing how versatile this stuff is!

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Do you use a rubber rejuvenator?

Use Sel-sol up here, does the trick... (The red stuff)

Won't bring a dead tire back to life, but keeps them clean and gives a surprising amount of grip back to a roller that isn't completely worn out. Alternatively, soap and water is usually all you need to clean it. Can't say I've tried to revive a dead one however, as messing around with life and inanimate objects is best left for mad scientists.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    scientiest at NASA invented it by accident seeking a lubricant for rocket ships. they noticed it displaced water, so the name wd formula 40.
    What the hell were they trying to squeeze that rocket ship into?