Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What was it like to buy your house?

Re: What was it like to buy your house?

Hey Lagonda, what is buying a house like in Australia?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It was one of the most frustrating times in my life.

You've got everybody telling you what to do, and it's all conflicting.
    As a qualifier, in addition to lending me the downpayment, my Dad had one requirement: that I get a real estate attorney. It was great advice! Whenever I would get this conflicting advice I would only do what my attorney advised. It seemed to quell all the arguments.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Glorified Parts Swapper 100+ Posts ptrflrs's Avatar

in the usa, buying my house 8 years ago was almost as scary as being foreclosed on it a few months ago
    jesus loves you! (everyone else thinks you're an assh*le)
    street cred: CompTIA A+ & Network+ Certified; Konica Minolta Gold Seal x2,
    Konica Minolta Outward ASSociate, Ricoh, Sharp, Lexmark trained

I had so many emails coming to me I began to nearly get stress attacks every time my phone gave the email tone. From what I've heard from some of my friends, I got off easy. I started looking 1.5 months ago. One of my friends did this for 6 months. I think I would have shot someone if I had to be under that much prolonged stress.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Hey Lagonda, what is buying a house like in Australia?
    Buying a house in Oz is very much like other western countries. But a few pointers I’ve learned over the years is to get a reputable firm to do the building inspection report. Termites can be a very expensive surprise a few months down the track. One of our techs is going to court at the moment trying to get some money out of a dodgy pest control company that missed two major termite nests that were eating his new house from the inside. (Not one of our brightest techs, he wondered at the time why the house was going so cheaply)
    Another good tip is not to let your solicitor settle the exchange of contracts on a Friday afternoon. Solicitors have a nasty habit of going out to lunch on a Friday and forgetting to go back to work. I’ve heard more than one tail of the truck loaded with your entire goods and chattels driving around in circles for hours while the desperate home buyer made phone call after phone call trying to get access to the new house by 5.00 or it would be an expensive stay for the family in a motel until Monday and a hefty extras charge from the removal firm.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

certified scrub 500+ Posts

buy? what?

considering maintenance (roofing, plumbing, gardening, pests, property tax) or strata fees, I think I'll settle for rent.

You got to be a billion millionaire to buy a property in Vancouver now...
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    My ex wife made me sell the house so she could take her half of the money and go on a honeymoon with her coworker. Now I live in a van down by the river.
    Sounds peaceful.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Buying a house in Oz is very much like other western countries. But a few pointers I’ve learned over the years is to get a reputable firm to do the building inspection report. Termites can be a very expensive surprise a few months down the track. One of our techs is going to court at the moment trying to get some money out of a dodgy pest control company that missed two major termite nests that were eating his new house from the inside. (Not one of our brightest techs, he wondered at the time why the house was going so cheaply)
    Another good tip is not to let your solicitor settle the exchange of contracts on a Friday afternoon. Solicitors have a nasty habit of going out to lunch on a Friday and forgetting to go back to work. I’ve heard more than one tail of the truck loaded with your entire goods and chattels driving around in circles for hours while the desperate home buyer made phone call after phone call trying to get access to the new house by 5.00 or it would be an expensive stay for the family in a motel until Monday and a hefty extras charge from the removal firm.
    I made sure we are not moving the same day I sign papers. I'd have to kill someone then and I assure you it would not be pretty. I had it inspected and there are some things I'll need to have repaired, but all in all it is move in ready. I hope there aren't any unseen major issues. That would NOT be fun. I sign this Friday, so I'll find out what homeownership is like real soon.

Hi prntrfxr, or may I call you prntr?

Welcome to the Wonderful World of The Extortionate Mortgage ! Remember its only 25 years and it will all be over. Its also the greatest feeling in the world when you make that final payment and you can tell those blood sucking banks to go stick their Premier Advantage Package Special home loan discount rate offer where it hurts.

Seriously I hope it all goes well for you and you find peace and tranquility in a home of your own.

What sort of interest rates are you guys paying?
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Re: What was it like to buy your house? I'll let you know if it ever happens...

I wanted a home of my own for the longest time. Now that I've started my biz, I'd rather buy a commercial building on a (not TOO) busy street with living quarters above or behind. Or below or beside, I'm not picky.
    Now all I need is the 100k/yr. in biz to qualify for it and afford the down and closing!