Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What was it like to buy your house?

Re: What was it like to buy your house?

I wanted a home of my own for the longest time. Now that I've started my biz, I'd rather buy a commercial building on a (not TOO) busy street with living quarters above or behind. Or below or beside, I'm not picky.
    Now all I need is the 100k/yr. in biz to qualify for it and afford the down and closing!
    I think it would be really cool to buy an old firehouse and rebuild it as a business below and living quarters above. To go to work, just slide down the pole.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    I think it would be really cool to buy an old firehouse and rebuild it as a business below and living quarters above. To go to work, just slide down the pole.
    I don't expect my knees (or most other technician's knees) could take the impact, but yes, cool idea.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar

For our first house I did the easy thing. Let my wife do the whole lot whilst I was away looking for oil. Came back and it was all done

Next time was not so easy though.

I guess its all relevant, but I could not get a garage here for $59,000, so well done. Hope it all goes to plan for you.

PS - We are looking to move, you think just buying is stressful.
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

For our first house I did the easy thing. Let my wife do the whole lot whilst I was away looking for oil. Came back and it was all done

Next time was not so easy though.

I guess its all relevant, but I could not get a garage here for $59,000, so well done. Hope it all goes to plan for you.

PS - We are looking to move, you think just buying is stressful.
    Tell me about it bro, I am so tired and I'm not done packing. We sold a whole bunch of stuff on Craigslist, Saturday we had a yard sale, and we donated the rest to the Kidney Foundation (They come pick it up and give us a receipt which we use to get a deduction off on taxes). We had to take a number of built in things in the old house apart, including lighting fixtures and ceiling fans (I'm selling them by the way.) I sign the papers tomorrow and then we have to start fixing the new house up, included interior painting. I am soooo looking forward to it. I'm happy I got a good deal and I know it was a good one (someone up there likes me), but I'm going to be too tired when it's all over to enjoy it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Congratulations and good luck! =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Good Luck with your closing!!!

My house now. The seller wasn't there and didn't have to be. All the paperwork had already been signed they just faxed one part to the seller and that was it. I think that's the major difference between buying a house in the US and in the UK and Australia. We do all the paperwork up front and they do all the paperwork on the day of.
    • The offer is made in writing and is agreed on by both the seller and the buyer. Although it can be backed out on, it is a contract and there is no price negotiation later.
    • The loan papers are signed prior to closing, which is another contract for the loan amount and the terms. You also have an approximation on the terms at this point.
    • The final sign just means the house is yours and that the closing costs have already been paid.

They didn't even have the keys for me. They were scotch taped to the top of the power meter at the new house. (Anyone could have taken them, they were in plain sight.) Anyway, now the big job of repair, cleaning, and painting begins. It's in pretty good shape and the house is pretty clean, but there is still a lot to do.

I've also been told that I'm "dangerous worth tools". If you'd like any home-improvement opinions I've got a few. =^..^=

I hired a guy yesterday to do electrical and plumbing. I think I got a good deal on the labor. We'll see how it goes. He and the pest control guy are coming Monday. The tree surgeon is coming Friday to take 4 trees down. Expensive, but I got a neighbor that wants some down too, so the tree surgeon said he'd cut us both a deal. I just have to get a permit for the workshop we are putting in the back, next.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

What will your workshop be used for? Hobbies or business?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking