Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
    Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: You know you are a tech because...

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    The thing I think is amazing, is that dropped screw or spring can somehow cross the room and arrive under the heaviest piece of furniture in the room. I've found E-clips in my pant cuffs, hanging from the edge of my shirt pocket, in my shoe laces, in my beard, dead center underneath the copier, and sitting on an electrically live heat sink on the power supply board. And yes, my ears are particularly attuned to that last little sound it made on the way to ... where is it? =^..^=
    Isn't that the truth.
    Unfortunately, sometimes I drop screws and stuff on carpeting. No sound at all as far as I can tell, and the thing may as well have been beamed up by the Starship Enterprise for all the good it does me to look for it.
    That's kind of how I came up with the theory that e-clips can sometimes achieve relativistic speeds and leave the solar system.
    I wonder if there is a planet of lost e-clips like the planet of lost pens (follow link at your own peril).
    Last edited by Iowatech; 12-04-2015 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Standardization of part nomenclature

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    The thing I think is amazing, is that dropped screw or spring can somehow cross the room and arrive under the heaviest piece of furniture in the room. I've found E-clips in my pant cuffs, hanging from the edge of my shirt pocket, in my shoe laces, in my beard, dead center underneath the copier, and sitting on an electrically live heat sink on the power supply board. And yes, my ears are particularly attuned to that last little sound it made on the way to ... where is it? =^..^=
    A question to the above in red. when you drop a screw in the machine, which you are not sure where it has landed, but is in the vicinity of power supply or pcb's, do you go back and get that screw or take your chances ?. done that quite a bit myslelf and continue installing, but every time i end up going back[there and then] and get that screw to be sure. sometime after installing and dressing your harness and all that, op drop screw and to take it all off again.. but i do it for saefty and just can't leave it knowing disaster may be lurking. now i have strategies to prevent that.... don't take the risk and place magnet, paper or whatever to avoid it.
    sometimes it may be in the geartrain area, and have to dig in there to retrieve. But sometimes, when the aliens want to work you over, you have no choice and they spill the screw exactly where you did not want it to end up. did i say aliens, i guess i did. who else then, the evil one.
    Last edited by subaro; 12-04-2015 at 03:02 AM.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    You know you are a tech because...

If it's near boards, I'll power Off and fish for it with my stick magnet first. If it won't come back ... yes I'll disassemble. My conscience will not allow me to leave it there. This happened on a tabletop Kyocera printer recently. The customer gave me a questioning look when they saw me violently shaking their printer over my head. The screw did drop on my forehead. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

You know which office buildings have unlocked restrooms and what floors they're on.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Although I no longer turn screwdrivers, I have a absolute favorite craftsman ratcheting that I would turn around and go back 20 miles to get it off of the dining room table. Forgetting my laptop was bad, but I couldn't work without that screwdriver in my pocket. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.