Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: RICOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ricoh are easy to work on, which is good as they get worked on a lot.
    If Ricoh uses 2 screws to hold a piece on, Konica and Cannon Probably use 12 screws.
    Some things should not be made of plastic
    I will give props to the small tabletop copier, the 1515 and newer versions of it, are the best tabletop copier I have seen.
    Ricoh color drums for printers fail at a higher rate than others I have used.
    Tech support in America is 50/50 shot, some good, some not so good.
    I have never had so many broken plastic parts as are on new Ricohs
    Yes it is job security, but that can backfire. Customer sees techs too much, goes shopping for a new brand.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Really, the only complaint I have is that my two (C900, 1357) are a bitch to get paper jams out of. Made for much smaller hands than mine.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Grumpo,
    sorry for you, but i think you are a lazy technician and not creative!
    One must learn how to resolve problems on a Ricoh.
    Aficio 3030 is the best machine ever bilt for technicians! mp4000, at start was a big disaster, but noweday it runs much better.
    mpc2800, best you can get! mpc2050 is a little bit tricky with thick paper, that's true...
    I service Ricoh now for 25 years, perhaps there are better brands, but our clients are very satisfied about the Ricoh machines.
    Again, if you haven't got the knowledge to service a Ricoh, you are nowhere, you will never get your customar be satisfied. Indeed then it is easy to put the blaim on Ricoh... and that is precisily what you are doing here!
    You must learn carefully about the Ricoh problems and think them over. I usually write down all the facts i know about the problem, and read it over again and again, it helps.
    Greetings,
    Mark

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    RICOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not bragging, but I think I've more time & front line Ricoh technical than most here. I wrote the P.M. procedure for the liquid 750/770 back in 1973. When Xrox's patents expired I got one of the first two Savin 300's to come in from Japan. Started taking out the extra 5 fusing rollers & sticking felt wicks near the coronas to block the toner clouds in the drum cavity. Talk about a P.O.S. I did receive over $1200.00 bonuses for improving the machine. Any tech that made it through the life cycle of this product deserves a soilid gold star.

Fast forward to today. Ricoh still has a bass akwards toner system. Worse is what they have done to the dealer community. They set out to destroy as many dealers as they could by undercutting prices through direct competition and giving away the service below cost.. They were so successful at this that Cannon is now emulating their plan. As a result my dealership contract was not renewed, no reason given. I have some great memories of working w/ Hamonoson, Suzukison, & other international engineers & R&D but a very bitter,sour taste for any calling the shots in marketing & distribution. Direct control over every placement w/o the dealer is the goal & they are close to achieving this grand scheme. So goes all things technical. Any one want to buy a still profitable copier business in a wonderful town?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Grumpo,
    sorry for you, but i think you are a lazy technician and not creative!
    One must learn how to resolve problems on a Ricoh.
    Aficio 3030 is the best machine ever bilt for technicians! mp4000, at start was a big disaster, but noweday it runs much better.
    mpc2800, best you can get! mpc2050 is a little bit tricky with thick paper, that's true...
    I service Ricoh now for 25 years, perhaps there are better brands, but our clients are very satisfied about the Ricoh machines.
    Again, if you haven't got the knowledge to service a Ricoh, you are nowhere, you will never get your customar be satisfied. Indeed then it is easy to put the blaim on Ricoh... and that is precisily what you are doing here!
    You must learn carefully about the Ricoh problems and think them over. I usually write down all the facts i know about the problem, and read it over again and again, it helps.
    Greetings,
    Mark
    Put a Konica Minolta B350 up agains the AF3030 i work on both. Compare running cost aswell. AF 3030 is a good machine KM B350 is better?. Draw backs on the B350 where the AF3030 is beter is on fuser rebuilds, clutch replacement and feed wheel inatalation. B350 has got a milion screws in it, but its mutch cheaper to run.

My favorite Ricoh must be the MP6500 but then again compare that with a BH B601. The machines i worked on that feels like a good middel ground is Kyocera Mita machines i took a liking to those 3500i machines.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Allan,
    I had a training of mp2554: plastic (latches) all over; we have seen the best off Ricoh, i'm afraid.

Don't know if that is good news for walls floors and carpets.

Defective Technician 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copymutt View Post
    Not bragging, but I think I've more time & front line Ricoh technical than most here. I wrote the P.M. procedure for the liquid 750/770 back in 1973. When Xrox's patents expired I got one of the first two Savin 300's to come in from Japan.
    I was around in 73 and don't remember the 750 at that time. I went to 750 school in Pittsburgh sometime in 75 or 76, I remember never being told that the tanks had to be flushed and cleaned to keep the machines running right, we figured that out on our own. I will say this: that machine took a hell of a lot of business from Xerox, we could not keep them in stock and the owner was selling them for list or better. We became a Canon dealer and the NP Liquids came out a year or so later, they were not as good as the 750 in my opinion.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

All manufacturers are making their machines lighter and more Eco friendly but the new Ricoh boxes are unbelievably flimsy. Just look at an Mpc3503. The plastics are thin, the metal is no thicker than a pop can. I had a Ricoh employee tell me that they had to write off dozens of machines because when they strapped them in the moving truck to deliver them they bent the frames causing the boards not to interconnect properly.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    RICOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bryand View Post
    All manufacturers are making their machines lighter and more Eco friendly but the new Ricoh boxes are unbelievably flimsy. Just look at an Mpc3503. The plastics are thin, the metal is no thicker than a pop can. I had a Ricoh employee tell me that they had to write off dozens of machines because when they strapped them in the moving truck to deliver them they bent the frames causing the boards not to interconnect properly.
    Op panel on MP6002 is now so flimsy that it sags down onto the toner bottle in very short order. Want to swing the toner bottle out? Lift the op panel with right hand, swing out toner bottle with left. Never had that issue with 9060 or 8055...... Flimsily into the future!