Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Out of this world questions of the costumers.

There were book copiers but they didn't turn the pages. They were designed so that you didn't ruin the spines and could can the page flat.

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Oddly enough, some years ago, some company made a book copier that actually turned the pages.

Obviously, it was a massive flop, but it did exist.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Out of this world questions of the costumers.

A while ago now and only once have I had a customer actually plug in and power on an Aficio 2075 that I was working in the back of, I was just finishing up refitting everything in the back (waste toner transport, relay motor, drum flywheel, bypass clutch etc) after fitting new registration mylars (a fairly involved job on one of these, those who work on these know what I'm talking about) and had the front door open, the drum and development units out on a table next to the machine, and half of the machine covers off. The first I knew was the click from the PSU.... I jumped up like I'd been stung and pulled the power cord out of the wall.

Then he tried to chew me out because... and I quote "I don't need to use it's photocopier, I just need to use it to print.... why does the whole machine have to be out of order for a fault with just one of it's parts"

I was so annoyed I nearly fed him his own teeth, I went outside and had a smoke (when I did smoke), calmed down and settled for speaking with the senior manager on site and explaining to her the details of health and safety law concerning their duty of care in law to contractors, specifically the part where if some assclown plugs in a machine that I am in the middle of repairing whilst I'm repairing it and it causes me an injury, then I get a no-win no-fee personal injury solicitor and sue them.

I can't think of any parallel, it's like turning up to the garage with your car mid-way through having it's transmission clutch plate (or some similar major engine-out overhaul), taking the keys out of the mechanic's office and climbing up on the ramp and trying to start it while he's down in the inspection pit.

Some people really do have shit for brains, and a bad attitude to go with it.
    I had a similar thing happen to me. I was halfway in the machine trying to reach the HVPS contacts on the other side of the interior, when some lady came in, plugged it in, and powered it up. I jumped out nearly cracking my skull open and said something like, "What are you trying to do, kill me or something?" "I just wanted to make a copy, God!" was her reply. In her defense, I did say a couple of insulting things after that about her intelligence level, but I did not use bad language. When I got back to the office, my boss told me she called and made a complaint. That I said some obscene things. I explained what happened, but some people should not be allowed to touch anything connected to electricity.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    I had a similar thing happen to me. I was halfway in the machine trying to reach the HVPS contacts on the other side of the interior, when some lady came in, plugged it in, and powered it up. I jumped out nearly cracking my skull open and said something like, "What are you trying to do, kill me or something?" "I just wanted to make a copy, God!" was her reply. In her defense, I did say a couple of insulting things after that about her intelligence level, but I did not use bad language. When I got back to the office, my boss told me she called and made a complaint. That I said some obscene things. I explained what happened, but some people should not be allowed to touch anything connected to electricity.
    My favourite part of what you just said. So many potential offenders, not just in the copy tech biz, but anything involving any form of electronic device, from the simplest blenders to the "oh so complicated" magic voodoo boxes... I mean, computers.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

My favourite part of what you just said. So many potential offenders, not just in the copy tech biz, but anything involving any form of electronic device, from the simplest blenders to the "oh so complicated" magic voodoo boxes... I mean, computers.
    Exactly...I've got one of these type people working here. I've had salespeople and accounting people alike use the machines here without a hitch. Just the normal kind of repair. The second he touches it, I end up having to repair it. Whatever IT is... Be it the copier, fax machine, printer, paper fold machine, the postal machine (God I've got stories about that machine :facepalm: ) or his PC. (I finally got him to remove the tape before installing the toner cartridges.) One day he was out in the warehouse (don't ask me why), one of the receiving people needed the dumpster top open to throw some boxes on it. It has a hinge on the top facing the dock and has 2 plastic doors that flip over the top (see photo below). Well this non-electrical guy tried to help him, not by swinging the door towards himself to uncover one half, but for some reason he thought removing the large pin on the hinge was the secret way to open it. Fortunately, I stopped him before he had removed the entire pin. This photo was on the web and looks similar to ours, but shows it from the truck driver's view, not our view. Just the kind of brain trust you want in your accounting department. I'm sure he's a wiz with math, but with things electro-mechanical he needs to be told to back away slowly.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Smile Re: Out of this world questions of the costumers.

Look at my avatar that was a book copier. Libarys loved them. I hated them can you say 16lbs developer no mag roll. Rest in peace 4000.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Left a customer an hour ago who's been told her small A4 machine would make copies of books. Somehow she understood the machine would flip the pages without human intervention.
    Oddly enough, Ricoh actually made a machine many years ago that would do this.

I don't think they ever sold any...thank God.

I posted a link to it some time ago on this site under some other thread, but don't remember which one.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts copymech's Avatar

someone asked me a dumb question too. lol

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I was surprised I didn't see this one....

"Can you make the machine faster?"

If I had a dollar for every time I heard this, I could retire.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    My story is sort of the opposite scenario. I was upgrading firmware on a Copystar CS-250ci, standing right in front of the machine like I do. One of the real estate agents looks over my shoulder to see the "Firmware Upgrade 97%" screen (gee, what could that mean?), then reaches around the other side toward the power switch.

I grab his wrist two inches from the switch.
    I say: "What are you doing?" (shocked look)
    "Oh, my computer does this all the time. I just turn it off and on."
    "Does it fix it?"
    " ... um, no ..."
    "You nearly just turned your MFP into a very effective doorstop."

This is why I never try to do firmware remotely. This guy tried to crash my firmware while I was standing there. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    My story is sort of the opposite scenario. I was upgrading firmware on a Copystar CS-250ci, standing right in front of the machine like I do. =^..^=
    haa, if you stand in front of the machine watching firmware loading it looks like you dont know how to fix it (gold)