Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I am not sure...??

I am not sure if I feel more intelligent or more embarrassment about this......But lets be real, every country is full of them. Foreigners in America, what is the most insane question you have been asked about your country? : AskReddit
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    I am not sure...??

I just about killed myself laughing at these, but it is so true. Yes, it is embarrassing to think that there are Americans this dumb. But think about it, there are lots of dumb ones. Most of the funniest or most exasperating calls come from them. Since techs from other places have dumb customers too, it is likely there are Americans who have run into this when they travel. I once told my little brother's teacher I was from the state of Maine and she replied, "That's up above Canada, ain't it?" Some of my dumbest customers have been teachers. These are the people educating future Americans who will someday travel to another country and say something stupid that embarasses the rest of us. Some people in other countries think money grows on trees in our backyards or that all Americans are rich. Some come here and see nice houses and think we're rolling in it. I try to tell them, the bigger the house the greater the debt, but they don't buy it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

Re: I am not sure...??

I spent some time in California about 20 years ago and couldn't believe how little the people there knew about the middle of the country, I'm from Nebraska. Some seriously didn't know that we don't have wild Indians running around scalping people. Just proved to me that some of our citizens can be just as ignorant within our own country. So I can just imagine some of the things asked of visitors from somewhere else.

On the other hand I met a guy once on a bus in upstate New York who was visiting from South Africa. He absolutely hated the United States. People were rude and it was crowded and noisy. I asked where he had been. The only place he had been so far was spending 2 weeks in New York City. I hope once he got out of the city he got a better view of what the country is about.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Other than a Springsteen album, what's notable about Nebraska?

I am not sure...??

The questions below about Australia are from potential visitors. They were posted on an Australian Tourism Website and the (sometimes brilliant) answers are the actual responses by the website officials, who obviously have a sense of humour.

Q.) Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow? (UK).
    A.) We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q.) Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA)
    A.) Depends how much you've been drinking.

Q.) I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
    A.) Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water.

Q.) Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Australia? (Sweden)
    A.) So it's true what they say about Swedes.

Q.) Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay? (UK)
    A.) What did your last slave die of?

Q.) Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
    A.) A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe. Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not... oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.

Q.) Which direction is North in Australia? (USA)
    A.) Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

Q.) Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK)
    A.) Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

Q.) Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
    A.) Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q.) Can I wear high heels in Australia? (UK)
    A.) You are a British politician, right?

Q.) Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round?(Germany)
    A.) No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter/gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q.) Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA)
    A.) Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

Q.) I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. (USA)
    A.) It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of Gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

Q.) Do you have perfume in Australia? (France)
    A.) No, WE don't stink.

Q.) I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia? (USA)
    A.) Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q.) Can you tell me the regions in Tasmania where the female population is smaller than the male population? (Italy)
    A.) Yes, gay nightclubs.

Q.) Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France)
    A.) Only at Christmas.

Q.) I was in Australia in 1969 on R+R, and I want to contact the girl I dated while I was staying in Kings Cross. Can you help? (USA)
    A.) Yes, and you will still have to pay her by the hour.

Q.) Will I be able to speak English most places I go? (USA)
    A.) Yes, but you'll have to learn it first.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwaddle View Post
    On the other hand I met a guy once on a bus in upstate New York who was visiting from South Africa. He absolutely hated the United States. People were rude and it was crowded and noisy. I asked where he had been. The only place he had been so far was spending 2 weeks in New York City. I hope once he got out of the city he got a better view of what the country is about.
    This may sound odd, but was that visit before 9/11?

I was in Connecticut for a 2 week class in 2005, and 3 of us took a train to NYC on Saturday to see the sights. None of us had ever been there before.

It was at least 95 degrees in the city that day, and based on what we thought we knew, we thoroughly expected the locals to be at their surly worst.

It only took a few minutes for us to notice that, much to our surprise, nearly everyone was surprisingly pleasant! People on the street, deli workers, police, everyone, were all incredibly nice to us.

When we told our instructor about this when we returned to class on Monday, she told us that it became that way after 9/11.

While we all hope and pray that we are never stricken by such a terrible, heartless, cowardly act again, it was truly amazing to see the good that had come out in people's behavior and attitudes.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

WOETC

I lived in Florida for a year when I was in the Navy. Loved the people in the States even if they had some funny ideas. I was wearing my uniform with Australia written in Gold on the Shoulder, and a guy with a Southern Drawl asked if I spoke English. I replied that I did, but wondered whether he would understand it.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    I am not sure...??

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post

Q.) Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA)
    A.) Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.
    Snakes fascinate me although I would never go near or touch one.

Australia does have the Fierce Snake or Inland Taipan which has the most toxic venom but hardly ever comes into contact with people and apparently there's been no human fatalities recorded. India has the four most dangerous snakes as far as people are concerned and these are the Indian cobra, Common Krait, Russels viper and Saw scaled viper.

In Australia do you come into contact with snakes often, in England we only have one and I have only seen it in a zoo.

I am not sure...??

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    The questions below about Australia are from potential visitors. They were posted on an Australian Tourism Website and the (sometimes brilliant) answers are the actual responses by the website officials, who obviously have a sense of humour.

Q.) Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow? (UK).
    A.) We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q.) Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA)
    A.) Depends how much you've been drinking.

Q.) I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
    A.) Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water.

Q.) Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Australia? (Sweden)
    A.) So it's true what they say about Swedes.

Q.) Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay? (UK)
    A.) What did your last slave die of?

Q.) Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
    A.) A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe. Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not... oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.

Q.) Which direction is North in Australia? (USA)
    A.) Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

Q.) Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK)
    A.) Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

Q.) Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
    A.) Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q.) Can I wear high heels in Australia? (UK)
    A.) You are a British politician, right?

Q.) Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round?(Germany)
    A.) No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter/gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q.) I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. (USA)
    A.) It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of Gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

Q.) Do you have perfume in Australia? (France)
    A.) No, WE don't stink.

Q.) I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia? (USA)
    A.) Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q.) Can you tell me the regions in Tasmania where the female population is smaller than the male population? (Italy)
    A.) Yes, gay nightclubs.

Q.) Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France)
    A.) Only at Christmas.

Q.) I was in Australia in 1969 on R+R, and I want to contact the girl I dated while I was staying in Kings Cross. Can you help? (USA)
    A.) Yes, and you will still have to pay her by the hour.

Q.) Will I be able to speak English most places I go? (USA)
    A.) Yes, but you'll have to learn it first.
    Lagonda, man this was so funny I thought I was going to hurt myself laughing. Very funny! Thanks
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    I just about killed myself laughing at these, but it is so true. Yes, it is embarrassing to think that there are Americans this dumb. But think about it, there are lots of dumb ones. Most of the funniest or most exasperating calls come from them. Since techs from other places have dumb customers too, it is likely there are Americans who have run into this when they travel. I once told my little brother's teacher I was from the state of Maine and she replied, "That's up above Canada, ain't it?" Some of my dumbest customers have been teachers. These are the people educating future Americans who will someday travel to another country and say something stupid that embarasses the rest of us. Some people in other countries think money grows on trees in our backyards or that all Americans are rich. Some come here and see nice houses and think we're rolling in it. I try to tell them, the bigger the house the greater the debt, but they don't buy it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I always say the higher the degree, the stupider they are and life is hard, bit it's harder when your stupid.