Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Re: You think English is easy?

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Life would be a lot easier if Bill Gates was English not American then my spell check would work correctly. When will you Americans learn that there is a "u" in colour
    Are colour and velour phonetically similar on your island?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    You think English is easy?

Life would be a lot easier if Bill Gates was English not American then my spell check would work correctly. When will you Americans learn that there is a "u" in colour
    How do you pronounce lieutenant as in someone from the army? In England we pronounce it leftenant yet spell it lieutenant!

In the US as far as I know they spell it lieutenant and pronounce it lieutenant which is far more sensible than adding an f to the word that isn't actually there.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    How do you pronounce lieutenant as in someone from the army? In England we pronounce it leftenant yet spell it lieutenant!

In the US as far as I know they spell it lieutenant and pronounce it lieutenant which is far more sensible than adding an f to the word that isn't actually there.
    If I'm not mistaken you also pronounce aluminum, aluminium. But we have our own that we do here. The town I live in is spelled Norfolk, but is pronounced Norfork. But as the great comedian, George Carlin, said, "your name can be spelled Smith, and you can pronounce it Janovsky if you want to".

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

In a majority of all MS products there is an English and a French Canadian spell check/dictionary that can be set. Although there's one that irks me, it's spelled majour, but the word is still majority... :P

Nope, it's pronounced Norfolk. It's just the inbreds that failed Hooked On Phonics that throw in the errant r sound.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Nope, it's pronounced Norfolk. It's just the inbreds that failed Hooked On Phonics that throw in the errant r sound.
    Actually the original name of the town was Norfork. When the town applied for a post office way back when, some "inbred that failed Hooked on Phonics" that worked at the postal service in your town decided that Norfork couldn't be right so he changed it to Norfolk. So they just left it that way rather than go through all the red tape to change it back. But they did continue to pronounce it the right way.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Are colour and velour phonetically similar on your island?
    Is there any other way?
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Is there any other way?
    Pronounced, not spelled. Phonetically it would be Kul-err and Vel-oor... To be as simplistic as possible.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

In America, if you are going to discuss the language, I like to hear from George...plus I got bored this morning

Always do whatever's next.

At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth

Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established.

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.

I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away

I think it would be interesting if old people got anti-Alzheimer's disease where they slowly began to recover other people's lost memories.

I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work.

I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older; then it dawned on me - they're cramming for their final exam.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood.

I'm always relieved when someone is delivering a eulogy and I realize I'm listening to it.

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect.

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.

If we could just find out who's in charge, we could kill him.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first.

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealis

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your hous

Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough money not to quit.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did

One can never know for sure what a deserted area looks like.

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think.

Religion is just mind control.

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.

Standing ovations have become far too commonplace. What we need are ovations where the audience members all punch and kick one another

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

The other night I ate at a real nice family restaurant. Every table had an argument going.

The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect.

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.

If we could just find out who's in charge, we could kill him.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first.

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house

Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough money not to quit.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did

One can never know for sure what a deserted area looks like.

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think.

Religion is just mind control

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.

Standing ovations have become far too commonplace. What we need are ovations where the audience members all punch and kick one another

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

The other night I ate at a real nice family restaurant. Every table had an argument going.

The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept

When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat

You know an odd feeling? Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate candy bar.

You know the good part about all those executions in Texas? Fewer Texans.
    George Carlin
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by gwaddle View Post
    Actually the original name of the town was Norfork. When the town applied for a post office way back when, some "inbred that failed Hooked on Phonics" that worked at the postal service in your town decided that Norfork couldn't be right so he changed it to Norfolk. So they just left it that way rather than go through all the red tape to change it back. But they did continue to pronounce it the right way.
    Oh, you're in Norfolk, Nebraska. Keep forgetting about flyover country, everything between Chicago and the Sierra Nevadas kinda blends into one big plain.