Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

You think English is easy?

The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: You think English is easy?

Judging by what I read at CTN, it must be more difficult than I thought. And quite illogical ... like me. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger
    We don't use the world eggplant in England its an aubergine, eggplant is as far as I know used in the US so blame them !
    The hamburger originally derives from Hamburg in Germany which is why there's no ham in it.

In ordinary conversation its hard to produce a sentence using a word with several meanings several times. So although the examples given do clarify the 'weirdness' of the language its not a good example of English used correctly.

But I digress

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Judging by what I read at CTN, it must be more difficult than I thought. And quite illogical ... like me. =^..^=
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    Last edited by skynet; 09-23-2011 at 04:00 PM.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    We don't use the world eggplant in England its an aubergine, eggplant is as far as I know used in the US so blame them !
    The hamburger originally derives from Hamburg in Germany which is why there's no ham in it.

In ordinary conversation its hard to produce a sentence using a word with several meanings several times. So although the examples given do clarify the 'weirdness' of the language its not a good example of English used correctly.

But I digress

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

That was very interesting.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

my spell check just exploded

Yes, but for someone learning the language and trying to learn to spell correctly it is extremely difficult. There are those of us that have been speaking English all our lives and it is still difficult for some of us to spell. These facts should be considered the next time you want to bash someone for their bad English. Having tried to learn 3 different languages myself, I can sympathize. Comparing English to other languages, you will learn very fast how very difficult English really is. I think Chinese is the only one I know that's more complicated. Then add all the variances in accent and the colloquialisms (try spelling that one without help) and you will have to agree that learning English for a foreigner is not for the faint of heart. Try explaining some expressions to someone from another country that doesn't speak English very well and you'll see what I mean.

Here are some expressions that you probably won't hear in England:

Southeastern US
    Lower the window up or raise the window down.
    Higher than a Georgia pine (drunk).
    I'm fixin' to go down the road a piece.
    Don't go off with your pistol half cocked. (Don't get mad unless you have all the facts.)
    We better git on the stick! (better get going)
    He looks like he fell out the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down with his face. (He's very ugly.)
    I'll knock you so hard you'll see tomorrow today.
    Dumb as a bucket of rocks.
    She's the knee-baby of the family (next to the youngest child in the family)
    I'll knock you in the head and tell God you died.
    Sunday go-to-meetin' clothes. (best clothes)
    If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.
    He's so clumsy he'd trip over a cordless phone.
    He's about as handy as a back pocket on a shirt.
    He couldn't carry a tune if he had a bucket with a lid on it.
    "Do-hicky" or a "thing-a-ma-bobber" (something that has no name or you can't remember it)

Northeastern US
    Two lamps burning, and no ship at sea. (Foolish, wasteful person)
    Happy as a clam at high tide. (clams are safe at high tide)
    All in a pucker to get home. (in a hurry)
    How you like them apples? (when you win a point or make a come back against someone - competitive)
    Get a wiggle on. (hurry up)
    God made the food, but the devil made the cook! (the food is no good)
    Hang up your boots. (to die)
    He doesn't know beans when the bag's untied! (not very smart)
    He moves like cold molasses running uphill in the wintertime. (very slow)
    sun-of-a-gun (I can't believe it)
    "Thing-a-ma-jig" or a "whatcha-ma-call-it" (something that has no name or you can't remember it)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar

Then why did we have to learn to spell in English Class at school ? Had to pass a test : for a grade !
    Why have ' Spelling Bee's ' ?
    Why have a dictionary ?

Just ciruuos
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    These facts should be considered the next time you want to bash someone for their bad English.)
    Can you please show me where I have bashed someone for their poor English.

Cambridge Researchers and Mixed Up Letters

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Metalvoc's Avatar

Can you please show me where I have bashed someone for their poor English.
    That sentence was technically a question, and should have ended with a question mark! Get with the program!

i shood be more under standing. i gess just becuse ive mastirred the english languige dosn't mean its eazy for everywon?

Life would be a lot easier if Bill Gates was English not American then my spell check would work correctly. When will you Americans learn that there is a "u" in colour
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.