Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Copier Service in Iraq/ Afghanistan

Does anyone happen to know who services copier for the USA DND in Iraq/ Afghanistan? Does Xerox train soldiers to be copier techs?

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

Re: Copier Service in Iraq/ Afghanistan

Drones@remote

just one copy?? 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BLADE View Post
    Drones@remote
    I like the idea, but ya know what IT is like!!
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Copier service depends on who you are and where you are. In Afghanistan a while ago, a soldier told me of a tech junk yard. Since there where no techs there when they arrived they threw away everything that broke and just bought new stuff. He said the huge tech junk pile had 3 bulldozers pushing it around. _ side note_ in one of those Afghan junk yards after they got there, they found 2 old WWI tanks in excellent condition that were sent to the Patton museum to be restored_
    In other places, I assume Iraq, where they are supposed to have techs in the local populace, they would tell me that when they would call for a printer repair, you might get a guy show up in a suit or you might get a guy showing up in robes with his head wrapped, but either way, he wanted his $300 usd up front and then he would do little more than blow it out with air. I have had entire copiers shipped back for repair and then shipped back over there. Some units will make do if it is near the end of tour and bring back the broke stuff to be replace or repaired. I can say that the sand in Afghanistan smells a certain way. Some minor repair work is done by I.T. people.
    By knowing your customer, you can hustle a little business. I just had a helicopter company buy 2 refurb HP 4700 printers from me and pay whatever it take to fix 2 of them. Why not just buy new? Because they already bought $10,000 worth of cartridges for them.
    I could tell many a tale of waste of money, but I will not. Lets just say the military budget could stand to be cut. They would not actually have to cut back on anything, just make better decisions.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

one of our techs is in the army reserves and has spent significant time over in Iraq and Afghanistan on active duty and he would volunteer his time trying to get some of the equipment running. They did have a building at his one air base he was stationed at where they had a bunch of old printers and MFP's and he would take parts from one to get another up and running. You did not have the option of ordering new parts and if something died completely it was used for target practice.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

We had a civvy contractor on base for copier/printer repair when I was over there. Army would normally do the computer work due to sensitive info. I don't remember who the contractor was...I do remember lugging some big huge HP printer over there...was brand new out of the box and got plugged in without a converter....1SG was not happy about that lol
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Senior Tech 100+ Posts excanonguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Does anyone happen to know who services copier for the USA DND in Iraq/ Afghanistan? Does Xerox train soldiers to be copier techs?
    Why Derick you puttin in for a transfer ?