The sad thing is, if that ever happened in the UK there would be an outcry of Guardian* reading do-gooders bleating about the civil rights of the poor misunderstood thief, who was only doing this because of how society had treated him ...... (fill in the rest with the kind of cut n paste crap only usually uttered in sociology/criminology departments of universities, who's sole purpose it seems to me, is to absolve anyone for any responsibility of any crime ever..... as long as they are from a "marginalised" section of society)

Hehe, there needs to be more of these kind of consequences in my opinion. I would vote for a return of capital punishment over here, but I would make it a bit more comical than hanging. One of my favourites from "Blackadder" was making someone walk slowly over a sharpened cattle grid# wearing a very heavy hat.

* The Guardian :- A British newspaper that's known for it's very left-leaning politics.

# Cattle Grid :- A rectangular grid of metal bars suspended over a hole. The bars are spaced as such that if cattle were to try and cross, their legs go through the gaps thus preventing them from leaving the area.