Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Re: Why dont you read the answers..instead of repeatedly asking the same question...

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    But why do people keep asking the same question in the same post even when they're being given the answer in that same post?
    because they dont want you just to give them a push
    in the right direction,they want you to solve the problem for them and wipe their bums too,to finish the
    paper work for them.
    i am elergic to lazy people who dont want to help themselfs.
    i am happy to help a newbie with the correct attetude,
    but hate helping to any body that wants to do short cuts
    do a good job and be proude of your wokmanship
    cheers

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Why dont you read the answers..instead of repeatedly asking the same question...

Re: Why dont you read the answers..instead of repeatedly asking the same question...

I'm sure that I was a huge irritation to the senior techs I started out with. I was always asking Why? Why? Why? Just knowing how to fix a problem isn't enough. I'm not done until I know why it's fixed. Those are the ones that I write about the most: the ones that I can't figure out the "why" part.

This is why I find tolerance for those that ask the "why" question, again and again. I see myself reflected back. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts Ianizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I'm sure that I was a huge irritation to the senior techs I started out with. I was always asking Why? Why? Why? Just knowing how to fix a problem isn't enough. I'm not done until I know why it's fixed. Those are the ones that I write about the most: the ones that I can't figure out the "why" part.

This is why I find tolerance for those that ask the "why" question, again and again. I see myself reflected back. =^..^=
    You're a rare cat, Gato.
    When I ask, I appreciate someone who is willing to take the time to help me discover the answer for myself.
    And that is not just saying, "It's in the manual". (Translation: Leave me alone.)
    Or at least explaining the Why of it all.
    It's definitely not just taking over. (Oo.. that chaps me!... Done!... What just happened???)

When I answer, I long for one who will listen.
    That's hard to find. The right answer, in technology, is often not the short answer.

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a dullard; pity him.
    He who knows not and knows that he knows not is ignorant; teach him.
    He who knows and knows not that he knows is stupid; avoid him.
    He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

Or something like that.

-I
    My name Peggy.
    You got problem?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Why dont you read the answers..instead of repeatedly asking the same question...

Quote Originally Posted by Ianizer View Post
    ... When I ask, I appreciate someone who is willing to take the time to help me discover the answer for myself. ... Or at least explaining the Why of it all.
    It's definitely not just taking over. (Oo.. that chaps me!... Done!... What just happened???)

When I answer, I long for one who will listen.
    That's hard to find. The right answer, in technology, is often not the short answer. ...
    I admire these same teachers/mentors. I hope to lead others to discover their own solutions.

Have you ever tried to explain a process and get: "Just tell me what to do. I don't want the explanation."? You're missing the best part.
    The method of coming to a conclusion is so much more important than the conclusion itself.

I'll consider myself a success when I can do this. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts Ianizer's Avatar

I admire these same teachers/mentors. I hope to lead others to discover their own solutions.

Have you ever tried to explain a process and get: "Just tell me what to do. I don't want the explanation."? You're missing the best part.
    The method of coming to a conclusion is so much more important than the conclusion itself.

Fine line.
    Sometimes a question just needs a quick answer.

Catch myself on this sometimes.
    When launching into Trainer mode, watch for the eyes to glaze over... If the recipient needs a shave when you're done, might want to start scheduling the seminars.
    A fellow experienced tech may ask something that seems like basic knowledge. We have a lot of stuff orbiting around in our collective noodles. Sometimes just need to defrag and reboot.

-I
    My name Peggy.
    You got problem?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Sometimes you just need someone to tell you you're on the right track or point out what you may of overlooked. That's why I list possible causes, but I expect that the tech will know how to troubleshoot to find the right one. If a tech asks for an explanation I'll give it. But, I get techs all the time asking me, "Yeah, but which one of the 3 things you told me is the answer." My answer is always, "You are the one in front of the machine. You tell me which one. You are the tech, aren't you?" I sometimes go automatically into teaching mode, but I'm not paid for my time here and I have more important things to do than post all day (like working, for one). I'm here to help, but what I provide is free and I let other newer techs (to this site) have a chance to help people more now anyway. I've worked for small companies that couldn't afford a manual, of course now they are pretty cheap in comparison (used to be you had to buy the book at around $200-300 each or your company had to be authorized). Most of my answers are from the manual. If they had one and actually read it there probably wouldn't need to be that many posts here, anyway.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I am the one who may keep asking, if you did not explain why. Sometimes I get lost on a problem, trying to solve it using what I know about how it works, and maybe something else has been changed. I do not want you to tell me to do it, I need to know why. The fact that some machines print side 2 of a 2 sided document first, can really mess with a newbie's troubleshooting skills. When i demo for a customer, I explain how the machine tracks paper with photocells, so they may understand the false jam a little better...."The machine is telling you that the paper did not make it to this sensor, and from this point back you need to look for it. If it keeps telling you to open the side door and there is nothing there, it never left the paper tray. Check how the paper is loaded and then try another tray. " How many of you never explain to the customer how the machine defaults to one tray first if the same paper is in more than one tray, and the feed problem may be isolated to tray 1. Just use tray 2, call in the work order and I will be there to fix tray 1.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking