Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Why dont you read the answers..instead of repeatedly asking the same question...

why is it that people keep asking the same question in the same post....despite being given the answer in that post....or why do they keep posting the same question..despite being given the answer the 1st time it was posted...is it a case of.." i dont like that answer...i'll keep asking until i get one i do like"....i do really pity their customers....do they keep asking the customer whats wrong with their equipment until they're told a fault that they can fix....
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Why dont you read the answers..instead of repeatedly asking the same question...

Because your answer involved work or thinking. They keep asking til they find the magic button to push.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Why dont you read the answers..instead of repeatedly asking the same question...

Re: Why dont you read the answers..instead of repeatedly asking the same question...

Apparently there is always a simpler solution.

Question 1: When I make copies, there is a mark even spaced across A3 pages. What do you think this is?

Reply 1: Sounds like the is a scratch or mark on the drum. Pull the drum out and have a look.

Reply 2: When I make copies, there is a mark even spaced across A3 pages. What do you think this is?

Reply 3: If it is only happening on A3, then don't copy on it. Just copy on A4

Reply 4: Great answer, that fixed my problem. Now can you give me access to you manufacturers secure technical site?

Reply 5: Fuck off!

LMAO
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Because your answer involved work or thinking. They keep asking til they find the magic button to push.
    But why do people keep asking the same question in the same post even when they're being given the answer in that same post?
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I came across this supporting other techs. It was as though my suggestion actually required work, whereas they were hoping for an answer that did not require work. Then after trying all the things that were easy and didn't fix it, I would again repeat the suggestion. The second time wasn't any different. By the end of two weeks someone else was called in to resolve it, often me. Sometimes I was right, sometimes not. But the initial tech was mostly just stalling to avoid working for an answer, and knowing that if they stalled long enough they wouldn't have to fix it.

This is a sure fire way to stay mediocre.
    I may be unsuccessful, but not for lack of effort. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I came across this supporting other techs. It was as though my suggestion actually required work, whereas they were hoping for an answer that did not require work. Then after trying all the things that were easy and didn't fix it, I would again repeat the suggestion. The second time wasn't any different. By the end of two weeks someone else was called in to resolve it, often me. Sometimes I was right, sometimes not. But the initial tech was mostly just stalling to avoid working for an answer, and knowing that if they stalled long enough they wouldn't have to fix it.

This is a sure fire way to stay mediocre.
    I may be unsuccessful, but not for lack of effort. =^..^=
    Every situation is different. Everyone would agree you fall in the master technician tax rate. But many of us don't, maybe we're mediocre.

But there is a reason these forums exist, to get answers quickly. A lot of problems have quirky answers that no amount of troubleshooting would make sense.

There is also the factor of service managers and customer satisfaction. The goal is to get the answer and resolve the problem. If it takes more than 45 minutes, you need to call for help, check out a forum or get another set of eyes on the problem.

Service is already a burden on the business (sales makes that abundantly clear), so time-spend-fixing is crucial. Not only financially but to the customer's prospective of the company.

This is not to absolve anyone from doing their due diligence on each call, but no point in wasting time figuring out how not to invent the light bulb on someones elses time/dime.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I certainly never meant to imply that you or anyone else here is mediocre. By definition, nearly everyone here spends their own personal time voluntarily improving their skills. My comments were more about the individuals that rule out anything that seems too hard without much consideration. "I shouldn't have to try that hard to do my job."

Perhaps I was just trained by an extraordinary individual that taught me early on that I have the answer. It's within my skill set, and I shouldn't expect anyone else to do it for me. Ask for instruction? Sure. Expect someone to do it for me? Never.

I can only hope that I can convey these basic concepts to others as well as it was taught to me. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 11-07-2011 at 02:30 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

we should accept the answers given as the solution

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts

They don't just ask the same question in the same thread, if the thread gets ignored or they don't get the response they want they just start another identically worded thread. I just skip over them.

Also they can't seem to be able to use the search feature, there must me tens if not hundreds of existing historical threads covering some of the more common faults in each brand of machine. I have searched and found answers on this forum without having to spam another thread on the matter, however I try and post on the existing thread giving feedback that the fix worked for the benefit of anyone else who might be reading. I can't understand how they think it's easier and more expedient to start a complete new thread and wait for responses over simply searching a relevant keyword.

The ones I really like are the ones who get mouthy when they don't get the answer they want, I'm sorry pal if my free advice isn't what you want to hear but if you think that members of this forum somehow owe you something you can take a long walk off a short pier. If you were paying maybe you'd have the right to make demands, but as you aren't... don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

mjarbar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I certainly never meant to imply that you or anyone else here is mediocre. By definition, nearly everyone here spends their own personal time voluntarily improving their skills. My comments were more about the individuals that rule out anything that seems too hard without much consideration. "I shouldn't have to try that hard to do my job."

Perhaps I was just trained by an extraordinary individual that taught me early on that I have the answer. It's within my skill set, and I shouldn't expect anyone else to do it for me. Ask for instruction? Sure. Expect someone to do it for me? Never.

I can only hope that I can convey these basic concepts to others as well as it was taught to me. =^..^=
    This and the inate inability to grasp the search function of the site maybe?!?