Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Anyone required to learn cust's software and train them how to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by DallasTech View Post
    If they can sell the machines, they should be competent enough to operate them.
    I went to a service call a few weeks ago to replace some rollers in the DP. Got it all finished and a guy standing there needed to makes some copies so I told him to test it out for me. He makes his little packet then starts asking the secretary where the stapler is for his packet. I point out they had a finisher and the machine would staple for them. The both looked at me with this amazed look on their face and said "Really how do you do that?" I point at the Op Panel to the staple button. They had had this machine for months and never knew it would staple. Besides a lazy salesman not showing them and them not paying too much attention. I was just flabbergasted at the situation.
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

ringding
    Tech is there to make sure the machines function properly WITH their system. Not teach them how to use their system.

That being said, most techs already know quite a bit about any system, at least ours are good with that if needed.

Every role is a sales role though essentially, so if it helps your commish, I'd be all for it. When you're done helping them, ask for a referral.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kidaver View Post
    I went to a service call a few weeks ago to replace some rollers in the DP. Got it all finished and a guy standing there needed to makes some copies so I told him to test it out for me. He makes his little packet then starts asking the secretary where the stapler is for his packet. I point out they had a finisher and the machine would staple for them. The both looked at me with this amazed look on their face and said "Really how do you do that?" I point at the Op Panel to the staple button. They had had this machine for months and never knew it would staple. Besides a lazy salesman not showing them and them not paying too much attention. I was just flabbergasted at the situation.
    We do not include staples in the contract so yeah I would want them to staple as much as possible. Let me ask you, were you at a school for this service call?
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

ringding
    Depends on the team you're in I suppose...sounds like a lot of "why do I have to help another" here, but with our team, I do all I can to help another out and would expect that from them as well.

Although we have solutions experts on our local teams as well that are great with the various softwares and systems to help the techs if needed.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify

Quote Originally Posted by RRodgers View Post
    We do not include staples in the contract so yeah I would want them to staple as much as possible. Let me ask you, were you at a school for this service call?
    No it wasn't a school. It was a business. When it comes to schools and colleges tho my issue seems to be teaching them how to change paper and media type for odd paper they run thru there. One college was getting very upset when their new 3050ci was jamming when they would run this expensive heavy tanscript paper (which they were running low on at the time) thru the machine as plain paper.
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Anyone required to learn cust's software and train them how to use it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this thread was about teaching the customer their own (other source) software, not copier manufacturer's software. I consider myself to be familiar with my manufacturers MFP print drivers and utilities, but certainly do not consider myself competent to teach anyone else CorelDraw, Adobe Professional, Accounting software, etc. Can you imagine the number of possible programs? It's mind boggling. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this thread was about teaching the customer their own (other source) software, not copier manufacturer's software. I consider myself to be familiar with my manufacturers MFP print drivers and utilities, but certainly do not consider myself competent to teach anyone else CorelDraw, Adobe Professional, Accounting software, etc. Can you imagine the number of possible programs? It's mind boggling. =^..^=
    Been there done that...not too much fun....working for a school district with 11 campuses, maint office, food service, and admin. Classes had about 25-30 educational programs I had to learn...even spend time playing silly learning games to troubleshoot stuff lol. Also had the Accelerated Reader program. We had it set up on a Novell network with Macs....the company had never dealt with that set up so they started calling us for tech support on some issues. Spreadsheets, word documents, attendence software, id card printing programs. been there done that....no t shirt tho

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If I can print a test page from the driver, my job is done.
    Software companies have their own support numbers for printing problems and patches.
    If I can scan to my email or a shared folder, my job is done.
    What they do with the document after that is not my problem.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

mjarbar

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    If I can print a test page from the driver, my job is done.
    Software companies have their own support numbers for printing problems and patches.
    If I can scan to my email or a shared folder, my job is done.
    What they do with the document after that is not my problem.
    Exactly - we teach them to use the print driver after that it is the domain of their IT and support.

There are way too many software packages out there to know the ins and outs of them all and we aren't getting paid to support it either, if there is a quick query that I have done myself I will help if I can, when I can, but it isn't covered by the company and I make sure the customer understands that our company isn't liable in any way if it goes wrong.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mjarbar View Post
    Exactly - we teach them to use the print driver after that it is the domain of their IT and support.

There are way too many software packages out there to know the ins and outs of them all and we aren't getting paid to support it either, if there is a quick query that I have done myself I will help if I can, when I can, but it isn't covered by the company and I make sure the customer understands that our company isn't liable in any way if it goes wrong.
    Invaluable advice to anyone doing work outside the norm.