Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Normal intelligent people become complete idiots when the “Add Toner Message “ appear

Ok here’s the situation. It plays out over and over again, more so in our Education institutions. Yes the people that teach our children.

The Teacher / Instructor/ Professor approaches the copier with the Test or Assignment that they have to administer to their class within the next 2 minutes. They insert their originals and dial up 30 sets. Half way through the job the copier stops and asks them to replace the toner. Here’s were the dance begins. They think gee I only need 10 more sets! So instead of replacing the toner they: Open and close the toner door, yank out the toner cartridge shake it and slam it back in ( maybe several times ), then if all else fails they cycle the main power several times. Finally they get the remaining 10 sets and leave the copier for the next non suspecting person.

The whole cycle repeats itself with the next user. This may continue for a day or two until the machine gives up and pops a service code. This is where we come in and have to deal with depleted developer or contaminated toner bottle sensors . And then to add insult to injury there’s the stupid question from the customer. “Didn’t you bring any Toner with you?”
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Normal intelligent people become complete idiots when the “Add Toner Message “ ap

This is the "it's not my job" syndrome.

Especially at larger organizations, noone seems to feel responsible for the copier, even their own operation of the copier. "Somebody else should take care of that. I'm too busy." Well, everybody's too busy.

So you're at a school, and it's jamming. You look in the tray, and the paper guides are all the way to the outer limits, and the paper is just sort of tossed in there. The teacher trying to copy explains that it jams constantly. When you point out that the paper is not loaded properly, they just give you the look like, "Why do I care. It's not my job. Can't the machine just load it's own f'ing paper?"

You care because it can't work this way, for you or anyone else. Can't you at least be responsible long enough to load your own paper?

I guess the answer is No. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts

Re: Normal intelligent people become complete idiots when the “Add Toner Message “ ap

Like isaid in another post the moment you try to explane anything to them their faces glaze over and an attack of the stupids ensues...

What happened to common sense?
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mjarbar View Post
    Like isaid in another post the moment you try to explane anything to them their faces glaze over and an attack of the stupids ensues...

What happened to common sense?
    "Today we mourn the passing of a beloved friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was as his birth records were lost long ago in bureaucratic red tape.
    He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair and maybe it was my fault.
    Common Sense lived by simple sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting (adults, not children, are in charge).
    His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.
    Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticking plaster to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant.
    Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims.
    Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.
    Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
    Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust, his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility and his son Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers: I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is To Blame and I'm A Victim.
    Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone." ~ Author unknown

Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

AMEN!! Thanks for your support guys, most if not all of my customers and I'm sure yours too, are great people. I just felt I had to vent as Akitu so eloquently pointed out, the Lack of Common Sense.
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts

Hahaha, that reminds me....

Is it just me or is taking out the toner bottle and shaking it considered to be the magic ritual to cure most copy quality issues? I blame laser printers with all-in-one cartridges as it's now taken on an almost religious significance with some of our less bright customers.

You go out to a machine and from a sample you can see there's mark on the copy from a worn fuser roller, the customer pipes up earnestly "We tried shaking the toner but it won't go away"

It's too temping to reply "Ahhh but you didn't offer a blood sacrifice to Scorotron, God of Reprographics!! Hence your magiks are useless!!"

I could be a copier shaman! Next time a customer asks me "What's wrong with it" as I walk through the door or "How long is it going to be" I will fix them with an intense gaze, shout "I SHALL CONSULT THE BONES" and throw a mixture of copier parts on the floor and give them a "reading".....

....but I think I'd be fired.

Nice, well the lack of common sense might just make them be genuinely interested in your bone readings. Who know they might think as a king...it may even work well enough that the answer given by the "bones" is acceptable enough to the customer that you may not have to do anything....

But then again.....might not

Service Manager 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    This is the "it's not my job" syndrome.

Especially at larger organizations, noone seems to feel responsible for the copier, even their own operation of the copier. "Somebody else should take care of that. I'm too busy." Well, everybody's too busy.

So you're at a school, and it's jamming. You look in the tray, and the paper guides are all the way to the outer limits, and the paper is just sort of tossed in there. The teacher trying to copy explains that it jams constantly. When you point out that the paper is not loaded properly, they just give you the look like, "Why do I care. It's not my job. Can't the machine just load it's own f'ing paper?"

You care because it can't work this way, for you or anyone else. Can't you at least be responsible long enough to load your own paper?

I guess the answer is No. =^..^=

A while back I took a call at a local school on a deskjet printer (I know but I like to get paid).
    The problem was a ink cartridge that was so empty that iI could see through it.
    I showed the teacher the problem and asked for a new cartridge.
    She said that I was suppose to supply them.
    I said no that comes out of your classroom budget, and so does the cost of this service call.
    That was a very expensive ink cartridge. She was not happy.

Rob S

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Mine was today. They called to say the machine had a 2557 error {developer/toner mix not correct}, and it kept saying add toner. Hmmm, I wonder what caused it to code? Could it be maybe that toner message? It took a few tries to get the message to go away, the toner bottle was empty. I open the drawer and was surprised to see a toner box. I pick up the box and toner starts pouring out of it, on the machine and on the floor. I said " someone must have pulled the tape off the hole then put the bottle back in the box". The guy sitting at the closest desk said he did it. I bit my tongue and went to the truck to cuss and get the vacuum. Great call for a rainy Monday.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie1981 View Post
    It's too temping to reply "Ahhh but you didn't offer a blood sacrifice to Scorotron, God of Reprographics!! Hence your magiks are useless!!"
    Good one! I'll keep that one in mind for the next cust who gives me the "I've already tried to..." sentence!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!