Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Network Services in general....

So, for those of us who do network services here (or anyone else...feel free to chime in!), what do you guys include for ongoing support as far as what's chargeable and what's not? What's included in your initial machine / network setup? A few examples:

-Upon installation, do you set up EVERY computer the customer has or do you have a limit and go chargeable after that?

-If a customer needs a driver installed / re-installed / gets a new computer - do you charge every time you go out there?

-If you're using a MPS solution and their server takes a dump or the computer you had it on goes bye-bye, do you charge for a re-install?

-If a customer's scan to PC / scan to email doesn't work all of the sudden, is that a chargeable call for you?

-Do you charge an hourly rate or a flat rate on these types of issues?

Given the fact that the majority of our customers don't have a server let-alone an IT guy, what do you all do in cases like this?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Network Services in general....

Here's some rules of thumb for each of your points:

Upon installation, do you set up EVERY computer the customer has or do you have a limit and go chargeable after that?

It depends on the situation, if the customer is using a server I'll install there but the client installs are up to the individual users. For workstations, if it's under five workstations I'll generally do the install if they want. For more than that, I try to find anyone in the building who has more than two functioning brain cells and show them how to do the install if other users need help. If they insist I do the install then they pay for my time.

If a customer needs a driver installed / re-installed / gets a new computer - do you charge every time you go out there?

Depends on the reason for the driver install. If it fixes an issue with the device then it's free as it is improving or correcting the function of the device. For installs on new machines or re-installs I give the link to the manufacturer's site and recommend the best driver for their needs.

If you're using a MPS solution and their server takes a dump or the computer you had it on goes bye-bye, do you charge for a re-install?

If the server or workstation goes down for a hard failure, I'll re-install. For replacement devices it's built into the network install that it's a billable call.

If a customer's scan to PC / scan to email doesn't work all of the sudden, is that a chargeable call for you?

If the machine's at fault then it's covered. If IT wants a first look before troubleshooting further then it's covered. If they want a full troubleshooting down to their own hardware and infrastructure, the metre starts running as soon as I turn the ignition to get there.

Do you charge an hourly rate or a flat rate on these types of issues?

For troubleshooting calls, it's hourly once the machine is verified as working properly. For the 'advanced' install it's a flat rate.

Given the fact that the majority of our customers don't have a server let-alone an IT guy, what do you all do in cases like this?

I used to have a really good 'best practises' list that had some recommendations for customers in that situation.

For workgroup environments, I'd find who the go-to person is for any technology issues onsite and give them a few things to look for before placing a service call, depending on their level of know how it could be as simple as 'make sure this cable is plugged in and you see lights' to 'check the web interface and make sure the settings haven't changed'.

In these environments, billable tech support calls are fairly rare. It's once you get the account with an IT guy who thinks he knows Active Directory or NFS better than Microsoft or the Linux nerds that you start to get issues that call for a bill to be presented to him.

just one copy?? 500+ Posts

This has been getting worse and worse lately. I had a week a while back where I didn't even need my tool kit because all of my calls were IT shit. I fell into IT accidentally when our computer guru quit, so for most of my time on site, I thought was covered by the customers contract, but it's not, and we are in the process of changing to charging.

We are going to set up at install, scanning to email or to 1 server share folder, we will set up 2 PC to print, anything extra like OCR programs will be chargeable to install. Any problems after 2 weeks will be chargeable, any problem caused by customers messing with TopAccess/WIM/whatever, chargeable.

That's about all I have at the moment, hopefully someone has got a few more points I can grab.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

-Upon installation, do you set up EVERY computer the customer has or do you have a limit and go chargeable after that?

Gah! You just dredged up an old nightmare call. 3 copiers for print/scan/desktop fax - no biggie; salesgerbil didn't tell us we had to do a complete setup on 35 workstations. Oh, it gets better - the owners son was their 'IT' guy. Yeah, none of the workstations had the exact same o/s and patch configuration nor did they all use the same antivirus suite (server? who needs a server?). Every setup was just a little bit different. No one had admin level access to all the computers, so we had to have all the users log in individually.

Hardware - set up in half a day.
    Workstations - the rest of the damn week.

Thanks so far guys!!!!

@Hemlock - Oh, my friend, I have a good one. Installing a little Samsung SCX-5935 in an office. They have about 8 desktops. Not an issue at all. Sure, I'll do it. User code setup? Not to worry! I got that covered. Scan to Gmail? Yep! I can help you with that.

THEN I find out that it's an office with over 200 people coming in an out of the office at any given time.

"Could you set up this person's laptop? Oh, and this person? They have Vista. Oh, and they have a Mac, will that be an issue?"

3 hours later, I finally had to say "no, but I can show you how to do all of these..."

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Here's some rules of thumb for each of your points:

Upon installation, do you set up EVERY computer the customer has or do you have a limit and go chargeable after that?

It depends on the situation, if the customer is using a server I'll install there but the client installs are up to the individual users. For workstations, if it's under five workstations I'll generally do the install if they want. For more than that, I try to find anyone in the building who has more than two functioning brain cells and show them how to do the install if other users need help. If they insist I do the install then they pay for my time.

If a customer needs a driver installed / re-installed / gets a new computer - do you charge every time you go out there?

Depends on the reason for the driver install. If it fixes an issue with the device then it's free as it is improving or correcting the function of the device. For installs on new machines or re-installs I give the link to the manufacturer's site and recommend the best driver for their needs.

If you're using a MPS solution and their server takes a dump or the computer you had it on goes bye-bye, do you charge for a re-install?

If the server or workstation goes down for a hard failure, I'll re-install. For replacement devices it's built into the network install that it's a billable call.

If a customer's scan to PC / scan to email doesn't work all of the sudden, is that a chargeable call for you?

If the machine's at fault then it's covered. If IT wants a first look before troubleshooting further then it's covered. If they want a full troubleshooting down to their own hardware and infrastructure, the metre starts running as soon as I turn the ignition to get there.

Do you charge an hourly rate or a flat rate on these types of issues?

For troubleshooting calls, it's hourly once the machine is verified as working properly. For the 'advanced' install it's a flat rate.

I used to have a really good 'best practises' list that had some recommendations for customers in that situation.

For workgroup environments, I'd find who the go-to person is for any technology issues onsite and give them a few things to look for before placing a service call, depending on their level of know how it could be as simple as 'make sure this cable is plugged in and you see lights' to 'check the web interface and make sure the settings haven't changed'.

In these environments, billable tech support calls are fairly rare. It's once you get the account with an IT guy who thinks he knows Active Directory or NFS better than Microsoft or the Linux nerds that you start to get issues that call for a bill to be presented to him.
    These are really good...I just have to get them on paper in contract form.

Quote Originally Posted by jonezy999 View Post
    This has been getting worse and worse lately. I had a week a while back where I didn't even need my tool kit because all of my calls were IT shit. I fell into IT accidentally when our computer guru quit, so for most of my time on site, I thought was covered by the customers contract, but it's not, and we are in the process of changing to charging.

We are going to set up at install, scanning to email or to 1 server share folder, we will set up 2 PC to print, anything extra like OCR programs will be chargeable to install. Any problems after 2 weeks will be chargeable, any problem caused by customers messing with TopAccess/WIM/whatever, chargeable.

That's about all I have at the moment, hopefully someone has got a few more points I can grab.
    Seriously, it seems like the bigger we get, the more and more we run into these issues. We are also in the same process as you, so let me ask you this:

How are you going to go back to your current customer base and say "now, we're charging for this." Are you going to send a letter or have them sign something? Are you going to grandfather them in and go from new clients only now?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

We keep it simple:
    Two hours included in the sale. Everything else $150 per hour. It doesn't matter if its scan to email or SMB folders, or drivers or whatever. And occasionally I'll come across one that completely stumps me, and we have an IT firm that we refer to.

My particular favorite is when the salesman sets up an on-site 30 minute demo. "Oh, just set up everything, I'll decide what to demonstrate later..."
    Four hours of setup for a 30 minute demo. Nice. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

We offer the usual service contract for the machine AND an IT contract to cover network problems. Remote service or on-site service for a slightly higher price. If they decline the IT contract, everything IT related is billable. After the install, the customer signs off that all functions are configured and working properly.
    Some of my favorites include: "We changed the name of our server and our scanning doesn't work." "We got all new computers for the entire office and nothing works anymore!" With the contract, there is no gray area.

At installation, there is a flat fee unless they have many PC's to network. If they are sharing from a server, it's a different story. If they need codes or scan to email set up, no problem; its machine related. If they need custom folder created on their server with authentication and the such, they get a bill. If they need 200 fax destinations put in, I will instruct them. If it's in the USER guide, the customer should be able to do it.

As for IT in general, you must know this to survive in this field now days. They truly are multifunction machines and if you don't know the functions, you will struggle.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

just one copy?? 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    How are you going to go back to your current customer base and say "now, we're charging for this." Are you going to send a letter or have them sign something? Are you going to grandfather them in and go from new clients only now?
    It will be in the form of a letter/signed contract. Similar deal to when our travel costs go up, currently our service contracts consist of just that, copier service. Our business doesn't advertise IT services and I'll be buggered if I'm going to do it for free any more.

An example, just got back from a customer with an MPC3501, had it for around 12 months now, just decided they wanted colour profiles changed and a few simple one-click preset print options. Simple enough, ,and only took around half an hour, but they insisted they couldn't do it themselves. I say charge. I'm a copier tech who should have been out on a PM call first thing this morning. Oh well best get out there now.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I offer a per click charge for IT support on my service contracts, usually $0.005. This covers new workstations, printing/scanning support and re-install if server crashes. This also includes phone support.

If they decline the IT support it is $75.00 an hour for installing drivers or remapping folders for scanning, sorry no free phone support.
    This gets my foot in the door for the weird application problems that I do charge for.
    I charge for the research per hour for the solution. Usually solved by a web search of FAQs or a 1-800 number in under an hour at $100.00 per hour.
    If I can print a test page from the print driver, it is not covered under the MA.
    Scanning problems are on a per call basis depending on the cause.

New installs I incorporate the cost of printing/ scanning into the price of the machine depending on their network.
    I require a network survey form before it is delivered and any deviation is subject to a surcharge.
    After the install there is a 10 day warranty for followup and Q&S session after they have used it for a while.

All my customers that pay for the IT support have no problem with it and I get paid if they need the help or not. They like that I am there when needed with no surprise charges and solutions over the phone.

Just my way and $0.005 worth.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?