Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank You

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Re: Thank You

I've tried on 3 occasions to get out of the industry to no avail. You'll be back.....they always come back!

Best of luck to ya!

Technician 500+ Posts

Later, Copychik. I say later because I and others i know got out and ended up going back. They say we have toner in our blood. Well GOOD LUCK. Hope you have a merry Christmas. Remember, should you decide to come back, we will be here for you.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

"boyfriend"? Why not husband or fiance? You're leaving your career and you're a woman that can fix stuff...what's he waiting for?

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Copychick View Post
    ...After 16 years in the industry I'm going to help my boyfriend run his tool and die shop on the administrative side.

Well, first let me explain that I spent 10 years in a copier reman factory so I have been a "shoprat". It was when I got laid off that I went in the field, so I've been driving 25,000 to 30,000 miles a year for 6 years now. I'm tired, my knees are shot and I'm approaching my 50th birthday(no, I'm not ashamed of my age)!
    That being said, at the end of my very first day of work today in the shop who should call my cell but my old service manager! I let him leave a voicemail and called him back. I already knew why he was calling.
    So, yeah, he wants to know if I wasn't too busy if I could handle a couple of days a week, either on their books or independent contracting. Soo, I said I would think about it for a few days and get back to him.
    I'm reading as they can't find anyone or they don't want to pay what the candidates are asking. I know I was underpaid for my region of the country but not sure if I want to go back. Any advice, suggestions?

If you're looking to make a few extra bucks I'd tell them cash under the table and ask for more than what you were making as an employee. I've seen it 100,000 times. Companies will pay sub-contractors more money than they would an employee to do a job. The most ridiculous case I had seen was an IT department in a global company. They paid IBM $2 million to do a job. They didn't do it right. So they paid an internal employee $50,000 a year to continue the project. The employee would be better off quitting and bidding on the job.

As a sub-contractor you'll maintain a level of freedom and independence but you'll have to pay for everything too, such as tools, health care, etc. I'd probably ask for 50% minimum of whatever their hourly rate is. So if they charge $100/hour make sure you get at least $50 an hour. I'd ask for more though per hour or set a flat rate per call up to so much time and bill them for overtime.

So when you say an sub-contractor you're saying that I would be responsible for my own taxes as well? Does that mean I have to register with the state, get an EIN and all that? If that's the case I simply cannot afford the fees and headaches involved, having just witnessed this with the tool and die shop. I'm going to think about everything long and hard, I don't want to get myself into a bad situation between the 2 jobs..I'll check back in soon(don't have internet at the shop yet,AT&T sucks!) Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    "boyfriend"? Why not husband or fiance? You're leaving your career and you're a woman that can fix stuff...what's he waiting for?

Good luck!
    My "boyfriend" and I have been together for 7 years. We've had many obstacles to overcome(ie-children,finances) and have just become empty-nesters in the past year. We know we're "stuck" with each other by now and will eventually get engaged/married. But at this point with the new company and all we're not putting a time frame on anything. He has been jokingly muttering it under his breath for a couple of years now(lol)!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

You don't need an EIN and all: since it's just you the best option would be to just do a 1099 for everything. I've done that for quite awhile for any independent or contractual jobs I've picked up. To the company, it's payment to a contractor, to you it makes the money legal and most tax software or any accountant can figure everything out pretty easily in terms of taxes.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Smile Re: Thank You

A bientot mon vie....Bon Chance....
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

You wouldn't need an EIN, rather being an individual you'd give them your social security number. By law they don't have to report 1099 information to the IRS unless it's $600 or more. Most places report any amount. There would be no withholding of the amount you earn. It would be up to you to report the income on your 1040 form and to send in extra money to the IRS/State/Local if you felt you were making a boat load of money. Most likely you wouldn't need to.

A little more on EIN numbers. The only entities required to have one are incorporated entities or businesses with more than one owner. So a partnership, C corp, S corp, or LLC would get one; and proprietors with employees.

It's really not complicated. You'll either give the 1099 to your accountant or include it as income on your 1040. If it's just you or you form an LLC and you're the only owner then you'll put the 1099 income on schedule C or C-EZ and it carries over to line 12 of your 1040. If you start an s corp or bring on a partner then you'll actually not receive a 1099 but fill out a schedule E and carry the amount to line 17 of the 1040. Your business in the last case would also issue you and all other owners a k-1.

So keep it simple as just yourself, but maybe have a contract between you and your "old employer" as to who is liable for damages in case of breaking the machine or in a case where someone was injured by the machine so your personal assets are safe; or have a liability insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Copychick View Post
    So when you say an sub-contractor you're saying that I would be responsible for my own taxes as well? Does that mean I have to register with the state, get an EIN and all that? If that's the case I simply cannot afford the fees and headaches involved, having just witnessed this with the tool and die shop. I'm going to think about everything long and hard, I don't want to get myself into a bad situation between the 2 jobs..I'll check back in soon(don't have internet at the shop yet,AT&T sucks!) Thanks again!