Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Anyone ever use night driving glasses?

Re: Anyone ever use night driving glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    No. I bought the cheapest I could find. Years ago you could get a good pair of shades for about 20 bucks at the local drug store. It's tough for me to find ones I like so when I did I'd buy 2 or 3 pair. Other techs would bring them back to me from various customers or I'd leave them on the table at someplace I'd stopped for lunch.

As far as people and their hi beams. Why do some people wait until they're right on you before they dim. It's like "Thanks buddy but I'm already blind!"
    I'm sure if i search the forum there must already be a post about bad,rude and stupid drivers. If not let's start one
    One horrendous drivers thread started, just for you buddy. Good idea!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michaelc View Post
    ... So many people have them facing as high as possible which might allow them a few extra metres of the road being lit up which isn't really that necessary but it also has the added bonus of blinding me when they come at me head on causing me not to see the road properly. Even better when they are behind me lighting up my car via my rear view mirror which fortunately I can tint to stop that ...
    The oncoming lights are not the worst. It's the ones 10 ft from my rear bumper lighting the interior of my car like a spotlight, and shining right in my eyes from the right and left side mirrors. It helps a lot to block the rear window, but I know of no good way to tint the side mirrors in a way that can be switched for daylight driving.

Because of the glasses, I don't need to flash the offenders anymore, but plenty do. If everyone is flashing you and you are unsure of the proper alignment of your headlights please see this document from coolbulbs:
    http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-...-PROCEDURE.pdf

I'm doing my own little research project on the specific wavelengths of light that are the most offensive. According to this website:
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/hid_headlamps.htm
    Standard headlamps produce ~18 lumens at 2800 K color temperature
    Halogen headlamps produce ~18 lumens at 3200 K color temperature
    Standard HID headlamps produce ~71 lumens at 4100K color temperature
    Non standard HID headlamp produce ~71 lumens at 6000K or 8000K color temperature
    I'm still looking into the correlation between color temperature and RGB.

For an extraordinarily clear description of blue light glare see: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html
    The short version is that your eyes can not properly react to intense blue light by restricting the pupil. Your pupils respond most efficiently to intense yellow light, and the glasses present mainly yellow light to the eye.

The standard driving glasses block blue light, and about 1/4 of the green light (RGB: 245/218/2). I suspect there is a better balance achievable, but this is a really good start.

More to follow. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 01-15-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

From the progression of this thread, this might be off topic now, (and way late as well), but I found the amber night driving glasses quite helpful when driving through heavy rain and snow, even during daytime. By filtering out some of the blueish colors, they increased the contrast of everything else, making things somewhat easier to see for me. They worked well at night too, as even the dash lights in my car are way too bright (made me a little slow on dimming the high beams though, as the indicator is blue).

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I'm entirely satisfied with my driving glasses. Significantly less eye fatigue. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I always believed cats can see very well in the dark..........

Sorry, silly remark, couldn't resist....

Hans

ginger

I have never used night driving glasses. And, I have never tried before. But after reading this thread I felt like I should buy pair of glasses. I would like to have that experiences.