Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Real smart customer helps poor clueless tech...

Please help! Fax is not working! How soon can you get a tech here? I'll have him call you with an ETA...What is your phone number? Please have him call my cell...The office phones are out because we have no power!!!!!!!!!!!

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Had one at a bank where the guy was getting beligerent with me over the phone..lost buisness and so on. Said fax had stopped working 2 days ago and he'd already had the phone guy (bank employee, not telcom) look at it and he's sure it's a MFP problem. I get there and say what's the issue? "We can fax out, but can't receive" I ask for the fax number, dial it from my phone and with the idiot standing right in front of me, his cell phone starts ringing. This guy forwarded the fax line to his cell from mistake..then laughs at me and says "gee that explains why I keep getting all these fax phone calls" I know where not to put my money!!! Emujo

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Real smart customer helps poor clueless tech...

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    Had one at a bank where the guy was getting beligerent with me over the phone..lost buisness and so on. Said fax had stopped working 2 days ago and he'd already had the phone guy (bank employee, not telcom) look at it and he's sure it's a MFP problem. I get there and say what's the issue? "We can fax out, but can't receive" I ask for the fax number, dial it from my phone and with the idiot standing right in front of me, his cell phone starts ringing. This guy forwarded the fax line to his cell from mistake..then laughs at me and says "gee that explains why I keep getting all these fax phone calls" I know where not to put my money!!! Emujo
    Lost business indeed!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    Hehe, I have had a couple of issues like this.

First one was in a large government building in a department that had just undergone a renovation of their offices. The IT guy told me when I'd got onsite that they had not received any faxes since moving back into their office from their temporary location. I asked him had a re-direct been set up on the switchboard when they were temporarily moved, he went into "I.T geek superiority complex douchebag" mode and sneered at me that yes, of course they did have a fax redirect set up when the department was moved and yes he had made sure that the redirect was taken off. I asked for the fax number, rang it and got a fax handshake tone, but no communication light on the mfd. I asked to be taken to the temporary location and he grudgingly complied. First thing I did when we got there was ask the department manager if they were still getting faxes for "X" department, she replied "Yeah, they're all here" and handed over a paper box nearly filled with "X" department's missing faxes. I.T douchebag's face was a picture!!

Second one was a customer right at the fringe of my patch, a good hour and a half's drive from my usual stomping ground. They were complaining that they had been receiving faxes but couldn't send any out, got the usual extra spiel about how pant-crappingly urgent it was that I resolve this issue ASAP. I drove all the way up, I suspected some sort of line issue so I took in the super-cheap basic analogue phone handset I keep in the van for issues such as this. I plugged in my handset and got a dial tone, so I dialled the number of my work mobile, I only managed to dial the first few digits before I got redirected to a recorded message that told be the account was in arrears and to hold to be connected to the payment callcentre. To cut a long story short this customer had replaced it's analogue switchboard recently with a VOIP system and had subsequently cancelled most of it's contracts on analogue lines just retaining one for the fax. The general manager had still been receiving bills from the phone company and had ignored them thinking they were being sent in error but not realising they still needed one analogue line for fax. I ended up standing there bemused next to the copier whilst a full-scale screaming argument unfolded between the general manager and the department manager. As this wasn't under the "hardware-only" contract I invoiced them for the callout, they then proceeded to argue with me that as I "hadn't actually done any work" in half-wit logic, this means that they shouldn't get billed for it......well that sure gave my manager a good laugh a short time later when they rang in to complain.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DWise View Post
    But isn't the customer "always right"?

Only when they agree with me...
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

In old analogue times, i had a battle with a canon np6035 full equipped which did jam while trying to make a duplex copy. After nearly 2 hours of research and try and error i spotted by accident a sensor with a missing flapper in the duplex unit. My question to the secretairy if she had eventually noticed a little plastic thingy coming out of the mashine she answered "yes sure, here it is, is it important for you?" In my memory soon a picture pops up, showing me throttle her with the AC cable....but i managed to kept cool, good for her health and for me not beeing imprisoned for murder
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Damn! Got me again. I am slow sometimes, but I will learn. I was ask to go by a new instal and verify that the surge suppressor was being used. After plugging the phone line through the surge, the customer ask me why the print feature did not work. It was connected by USB. I went through the usual checks and made sure all settings were done properly. Still would not print. I rechecked everything and still no results. As I was getting ready to leave and come back after I had thought about it for a while. Just then it hit me. I walked over and grabbed the USB and pulled on it til I was holding the other end in my hand. I then informed the customer that was her freebie, next time it will cost her.

I then redeemed myself on the next call by finding the paper jam in 2 seconds after 6 people had tried.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Herrmann View Post
    ....but i managed to kept cool, good for her health and for me not beeing imprisoned for murder
    Just get a good lawyer and argue justifiable homicide.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    Anytime a tech suggests a problem with paper, phone lines, power, or networks, get ready for an uphill battle.
    It is ALWAYS the machines fault.

Sure but it's fun when they start looking at you like you need to check yourself in with the men in white coats!! Paper/power/phonelines/networks/PC's INDEED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DWise View Post
    But isn't the customer "always right"?
    Sure, up to the point that they are WRONG!
    Then it becomes billable because I found the DAAHR aspect. (Dumb As A Hot Rock).
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?